1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ingame-SS does nothing for me.
    Best clarity is achieved by setting sharpening filter in ini-file…
    Search for it there is description in a thread here.

2. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If your having tracking issues with your G2 then your best bet is to sit in your rig and turn on the flash light app within the Mix Reality Portal. Now use your controller and look at the different light sources and see how washed out it might be through the tracking camera's. This will let you know if you need to turn off a light or a monitor.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyone know why AMS2 sometimes starts as something like “AMS2AVX” rather than the normal “Automobilista 2” within SteamVR?

4. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

I notice this when I run it in VR.... if you run in 2D then it's just the AMS2.exe

5. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Thanks, Ive tried this but I dont think the screen is what gives me the tracking problems, I experience the same issue with the screen off as well in multiple sims.

Ive had the G2 since release and the performance has been all over the place.
    It doesnt matter if its day or night. Lights on/off, screen on/off.
    Ive tried an LED strip behind my screen, resetting position, clearing environment.
    Nothing seems to really fix the issue and the headset will randomly work great for a few days and then just be an absolute headache.

Ive had a lot of connection issues as well which might be part of the problem. (AMD/x570)
    Installed a PCIe card, got the new cable from HP cs. Tried connecting through USB-C directly to my 3080, but non of it seems to work consistently.

It can work fine for a few days and then in the middle of a race start drifting or give me a blue screen for a second before going back to normal, in situations where Im not experience framedrops or exceptional loads on CPU/GPU.

6. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

Morning folks... just another update on my relentless VR testing!

I did another 3hrs testing in AMS2 using CapFrameX to capture the performance under the same race conditions adjusting 1 variable at a time from a known baseline capture (I know, I'm sad!)... and concluded that the only out of game setting that now makes a difference is HAGS on or off (turn it off!). The rest, "Game Mode", Nvidia Control Panel settings (low latency, threaded optimsation etc.), steam/wmr beta or not, fpsVR running or not, rivatuner uninstalled or not, process lasso running or not, AMD CPU OC, Resizeable bar or not…. makes negligable difference (<2fps on average) with the latest build / win10 updates / nvidia drivers.

Note: I'm forcing motion smoothing OFF for these tests to try and get to 90fps. My countless hours of trying to get WMR Motion Vector/Smoothing to work consistently with a locked 45fps have been more than frustrating... so have concluded it's just bugged for now :/

In-game, dropping anisotropic filtering from 16x to 4x delivers about 15% FPS improvement… and turning bloom and post-processing effects off (didn’t really see any real diff on PP) reduces any spikes in low sunlight - which means I can run 90fps in dry ok at 100% SS @ 90fps with my G2. This with the sharpening trick in the graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml - set to 1.8 looks great

I also did more testing with FSR upscaling (with radius 0.3) and ended up not using it due to image degradation.
    - At 0.85 scaling, the cost of the GPU time for upscaling negates any gains in frame rendering time.
    - At 0.75 scaling, there are less frame spikes (so some gain), but image quality is noticeable less.

Still need the nightime optimisation doing (please please please @Renato Simioni) so headlights from cars behind don't totally kill the FPS.

I also noticed single core performance does seem to max out... so next investigation is to see if I can drive more single-core OC performance and see if that makes any difference.

My new in-game settings:
    Performance
    - Texture resolution: High
    - Texture Filtering - Anisotropic 4x
    - V-SYNC - Yes
    - MSAA - Medium
    - Reflections - Medium
    - Environment Map - Medium
    - Car Detail - Ultra
    - Track Detail - Ultra
    - Pit Crew Detail - Player
    - Shadow Detail- Medium (shadows still have a bit hit!)
    - Enhanced Mirror - No
    - Motion Blur - Off
    - Render Frames Ahead - 1

Visuals
    - Post-Processing Filters - Off
    - Exterior Sun Flare - Full
    - Interior Sun Fare - Full
    - Bloom - Off (Changed since last time!)
    - Heat Haze - Off
    - Exp Comp - 1 (default)
    - Rain drops - Yes
    - Vignette - No
    - Crepuscular Rays - Yes
    - Screen Dirt - Yes
    - Cockpit Mirrors - On

Cheers
    Bobby Dazzler

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Sir_Anth

Sir_Anth New Member

V-Sync should be off in VR. Most screens have a 60Hz refresh rate, so that would limit your vr to 60fps and also cause for worse performance in general when using vr.

8. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Member

That's not how VR works - on a 60hz monitor it will lock to 60fps with Vsync on but the VR unit will happily run at its own refresh rate. Try it, doesn't make a difference.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chip

For some reason, I get both in VR, but seemingly at random. The problem I'm running into at the moment is that if the AVX version starts, then it doesn't use my "Per Application Video Settings" within SteamVR for AMS2, so I have to change my global settings. Any ideas?

10. WingmanBOT

WingmanBOT New Member

Do you race with these settings or just TT? They don't consistently hit 90fps for me (3090FE, i9 9900k stock, 32gb 3200mhz) in a race setting. On my usual stress test of Spa modern, GT1's with a field of 16, I get around 75 to 80 on the straight to Eau Rouge only occasionally hit the 90 after Kemmel.

I have opted for OpenFSR mod to hit constant 90, even in Monza day, but agree it's not great image quality. I have found motion repro from 90 - 45 - 90 works fine though with WMR for Steam VR settings set to Auto and Steam VR per app settings set to Disabled.

11. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Sharpening is not Super Sampling, they are 2 different things. Sharpening is more of a filter.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DaWorstPlaya

AMS2AVX means it's running the AVX code path. You can turn that OFF and run the regular AMS2 code path by running the -sse2 option during game launch in Steam I believe.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. DaWorstPlaya

I've run into that same exact issue before, basically it happened to me when my GPU memory got maxed because I was using too much super sampling in Steam. Try turning down your SS value in SteamVR and free up some GPU vram. You can see it happen in the GPU graph in Task Manager.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  14. Chip

Thanks! Just curious: Why are there different code paths?

15. Chip

Do you have the revised power connection cable (with the little on/off button on the junction box)? That solved all my issues. I was able to get one for free from HP.

16. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think that some older cpus don't support it, but could still run the madness engine ok

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Wow, you have 3090? I have 3090 Ultra and I would not want to lower some of settings for VR. Like anisotropic need to be max out at 16x to prevent aliasing. MSAA need to be high. Shadow can be low, it doesn't look good anyway. Environment mapping being medium helps a lot...do not need to be high. Track Detail set to high is good enough. Crepuscular and Rain drops need to be off...it doesn't do any good in VR anyway with the visual being washed out. Set exposure to 130 to make the game light up a bit (higher will cause fps to drop). I was able to run the game resolution at 3560x3088 and Custom resolution multiplier at 2804x2432. Game looks sharp and incredible with clarity in distance view. I have Pimax 8KX using 150 degree FOV, rendering @1.75. I get an average of 85-90fps when cars bunch up in daylight but something like 75-80fps in rain. It is more than playable.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Kevin del Campo

Ive had the new cable for about a month or two now, also under warranty.
    It solved the problems with the soundbug but not the tracking issues..
    Been playing for a couple of days now without problems, cant wait for it to start again next week. :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  19. Kevin del Campo

Ill give it a shot but cant remember seeing this happen in fpsVR...

20. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

How can you achieve this good performance?
    I have Pimax 8k+ (RTX3090, i9 10900k) and can’t even hold stable 72 FPS when racing at rain and I have already smallest FOV (called „potato“) and only 1.0 render quality in Pi-Tool (and 100% resolution in SteamVR, so no supersampling). In-game in VR-settings I always have SS at 2.0 but I can’t reduce this value, even if I set it to 1.0 and save it I see no optical difference and next time when I look in the settings it’s again 2.0…(?)
    Any ideas how we can have such a huge difference in performance with similar hardware? Would be a dream come true if I always had some wrong settings and could get a performance boost somehow.
    Any ideas would be much appreciated!