1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Bad is the Rating System?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Obbzy_XR_, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Yeah, heaven forbid people talk about and discuss things on an internet forum designed to talk about and discuss thingsā€¦

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't find the MPRS to be that bad. It does what it does.

Its not a live steward dubbing drivers angels and demons on a corner by corner basis. Its based simply on mass statistics, ie the frequency of good driving or incidents and from what I can tell creates a bell curve. The guys at the top get rewarded less and punished more, the guys at the bottom get rewarded more and punished less.

Racing incidents happen to everyone, intentional or not. Systems like this get more reliable the more racing you do.

Its important to realize that EVERYONE gets hit when its not their fault. And everyone thinks they are the clean driver and others aren't. The MPRS doesn't care.

Is it frustrating to be penalized by the system on a race by race basis when you don't think you did anything wrong? Sure. But its better to gauge yourself over the course of 10 races than 1. If over the course of 10 races and your rating is stagnant or dropping, you should start to look inward as to the reasons that may be.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

The critizism is less about how it works in game, its about how it does not work properly outside of the game, and how easy it is be be cheated by bypassing it. Neither it is saved via steam, nor is it bound to a steam account. Its a bad joke of an MPRS.

Basically we do repeat the MPRS discussion from PCARS forums right now, just 4 years later about the same issues.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

It is odd that it's just a local file (I take it that is what it is?), rather than being a personal thing tied to your Steam ID and stored in the Steam cloud. People are surprised when they get a new computer or hard drive and reinstall rFactor 2 that all their setups reappear, as if by magic, but they do. The mechanism is there, so it's a shame it's not being used for the rating system data.

5. steelreserv

I don't follow. You're the one who brought up file security, which is admittedly an issue. The rest of the thread seems to be a discussion on the system.

But honestly if someone fluffs their stats, its not like anyone else gets hurt. (maybe their ego?) In fact we actually benefit. We get more points from beating them and lose less points when we don't.

Except of course if you;re concerned they are getting into lobbies they shouldn't be in and ruining other people's race. That might be an issue when there are higher level lobbies, which I don't see right now.

I don't condone people fluffing their stats, its their loss to not be able to gauge themselves as drivers, which is seriously the only point of the thing.

Whats funny about it is, if they fluff their stats, they think people will respect them, but that ends pretty soon after people race against them. Its actually kind of pathetic to post fake stats and then drive poorly.

As far as resetting your entire AMS2 folder. It may have been that way early on, but I dont recall Reiza ever saying that recently. Just the tuning setups folder. Resetting the whole folder is just what people say to do when they don't know the difference.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  6. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I did not do a reset, I got a new PC. Reinstalling ASM2 got me started with U1500 again, After porting over the old ASM2 folderfrom, old PC, rating was back to D-1526.

Since AMS2 still does not allow sharing of setups, I mailed the whole ASM2 folder from "my documents" to a friend for setups. He did not only got my setups, but also my rating, despite never having played in a rated race before.

I then copied that folder over to my secondary and tertiary steam account those are all D-1526 now.

I'm simply asking is this is really intended that way?

Thats simply not how a MPRS should work, storing the lincense rating in a simple folder that can be deleted and copied over. That way it can be restored anytime, even if you act as the greatest wreckfest jerk.

There is no danger in losing anything and that makes it disfunctional as a rating system to enforce more discipline.
    Instead, I can use duplicated license ratings with multiple steam accounts that do not even need to own the game.

All I see currently is just another split through an already very small player base, and what will never happen, is an A Rated MP lobby with 20 contenders.

Neither will it work for a rookie series lobby that locks out higher license players

Is it clear now what I mean?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelreserv

Its the first iteration, its beta and if other people fluff their stats by either messing with the files in one way or the other, its doesn't impact you

The devs are aware of what goes on in the forums, and im sure they will address the issues in due course after evaluating it.

The sky is not falling. Its an arbitrary number on a screen. It nice to finally have something to gauge and make it feel like past races aren't lost.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Wild Cheese

Wild Cheese New Member

Did some ranked open lobbies this week and the driving standards were pretty poor. Even with C-S class players, now there was time for people to level themselves up. Not surprised, but I think the system as-is is heading in the direction of PC2, some stats that don't help much to get better racing sessions. I think getting the higher safety ratings should be harder otherwise filtering the class has no impact.

Here's a typical example with mostly C-S class players. Chaotic start (where I got it bad) then a messy race that followed and the host quit after being taken out too many times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Looks like Pingpong, lol. I still do believe a radar can fix most of the issues. Also people are so focussed on being first and fast that they forget to keep space, and all that to pass T1 safely. Before yesterday I saw a 5 in de middle at T1, lol. That's nuts... Just give each other some space and line up...

10. y2kfred

y2kfred New Member AMS2 Club Member

In my opinion the rating system is ok for a beta, it is quite similar to pCARS2.
    My remarks:
    - It is too easy to get an S rating
    - A victim of an accident is punished to high (pushed from the back - Monza T1)
    - I got about -50 points after a failed host migration during a race, that's really annoying because I was not the host of the race.

11. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I believe I was at this race. Luckly, I was at the front and managed to not get tangled in that mess.

Imho I strongly believe these chaotic MP races are caused by a combination of: latency (AMS2 seems to have more than the other titles), lack of skill indeed, mirrors that serve no purpose, unorganized MP experience and finally low maturity of the ranking system therefore lack of incentive on keeping races clean and tidy.

12. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

0:02 A car in front stalls on the grid, the car behind fails to drive around them and instead collects half the grid. Usual stuff that happens in every game because people lag out on starts, get disconnected, or go AFK after pressing "Ready".

0:19 You don't stay in your lane but veer over into two cars already side-by-side and take out all three. I suggest running a radar and keeping your situational awareness up.

I see nothing here that rating system changes would have fixed. All of this stuff happens on iRacing too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1