1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Best Setup AI in AMS2 for Various Race Lengths and Weather?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Chip, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but one of the biggest strengths of AMS2 in my opinion (compared to other sims) is the ability to run races spanning day and night with varied weather throughout. However, if offline racing, AI setup becomes paramount to the overall racing experience, and I am having trouble setting it up to provide enjoyable/close racing.

Let's use one of my favorite racing formats for example: A simulated 24-hour race spanning 30, 45, or 60 mins of real-time using either historic weather, or multiple random weather slots. What settings do I need to fiddle with to ensure the AI pit in a competitive way? I understand the skill level and aggression settings, but it seems like they pit illogically. Is there a tire wear/fuel usage setting that I need to change so that I am lined up with them or something?

Any and all advice welcome to get this style of racing enjoyable against AI!

2. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I found that the AI always perform the best when running with no accelerated tire or fuel wear, just everything set to normal. This means that for most races, you'll need at least one hour of real time, so they will have to pit at least once.
    Then you can set the weather / time to accelerate at whatever you need to in order to make it transition, and it doesn't mess up the AI.
    I found that, for a 24 hour race, I set my actual race to 4 hours and use weather/time of 5X. If that's too long, a 2 hour race with 10X time/weather will work nicely.
    Once you get below 1 hour on any race, I don't know. If you accelerate fuel/tire wear, the AI just seem a little different (to me). Or set it for a short race and expect not to pit.
    I'm not sure if I'm alone with this experience, but this is what I've found. I stay away from tire/fuel accelerated wear as well as forced pit stops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chip

Thanks for the feedback. I've only ever used "authentic" for tire and fuel usage, but I've been trying to get 45 min sessions dialed in mostly. I will experiment some more and provide an update after I've done so.

4. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

If I'm doing, say, a 45 minute race, I'll accelerate tire wear such that you would logically make a pitstop based on wear as opposed to just doing one because I checked "mandatory stop". So, I end up doing a lot of races with 2x or 3x tire wear. That cuts out the AI stops on lap 24 of a 25 lap race.

Accelerated time is cool but also causes a bunch of challenges for the game overall. If you're running a 24 hour race in 30 minutes, that means an hour long thunderstorm will be done in the span of a lap. I tried something like that at Daytona once with real weather and it was kind of mess as there was off and on rain all day--some AI cars basically ended up pitting every lap to switch back and forth between dry and wet tires.

If I'm doing something with time acceleration, I just pick my weather so the transitions are well-defined. I save real weather for races run in real time.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chip

Thanks for the response. The AI behavior where many cars seemingly pit every other lap because they can't decide between wet and dry tires is one of the biggest issues I encounter. I was hoping there would be a solution other than not using time-acceleration+real weather (or random weather). The ability to have unknown weather, either random or historic, really adds such a unique dimension to the game. It would be a shame to stop using it.

6. racezilla

racezilla Member AMS2 Club Member

I could not find an option to set a deadzone at the end of an axis. There is an option for deadzones, but I afaik it only affects the low end of it.

7. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Lower deadzone is set by a slider. Upper deadzone is set in calibration. If you want a deadzone of 10, calibrate the pedal to 90.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The AI desperately need some sort of logic improvement for pitstops, especially before oval racing and full course cautions comes to the game.

Like for example, unless the car is damaged, you really shouldn't pit on lap 1 or 2 of the race, even if it does start or stop raining and your on the wrong tire. The AI can't comprehend this, so the moment the rain stops, everyone dives into the pits for slicks, and now the AI is on a wet and drying track with slicks. Then it starts raining again, so back to the pits for wets... it just gets ridiculous at times.

Also, it's worth noting this has steadily improved overtime. When I did my 1998 CART 33% championship, I was amazed seeing how some drivers actively went for a fuel saving strategy. Most races require 2-3 stops, so if you could knock one off, it would be a massive time savings, and often the winning car would manage this feat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. racezilla

racezilla Member AMS2 Club Member

Many thanks for the answer, however I posted this in a completely wrong thread! I will repost in the right one