1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rob, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Rob

Rob New Member

I just got automobilista last week on steam and I had a go at Brands hatch with the Formula trainer and Mini.

I was wondering what the key elements of the setups are, if anybody could name 5 things that are important and where I need to have a look at that would be great.
    For example tyre pressures, brake bias etc.
    And if you can also explain how they change the car behaviour (higher tyre pressure = )

Couldnt find a setup for the formula trainer so if anybody is willing to share that would be great.

Thanks all

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thiago Izequiel

Thiago Izequiel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Generally speaking, you should always pay attention to:
    - Tire pressure
    - Camber
    - Caster
    - Ride Height
    - Wings (if the car have it)
    - Brake pressure / bias
    - Anti-Roll bar

Setting a car could be puzzling if you are not sure of what to change. If you are starting to understand this now, i would advice you to always:
    - Change one setting at a time (give it a couple of laps, understand what it does)
    - Take note of what you have changed and always have a copy of the original setup. You need to know where you came from and where you want to go with the changes.
    - Try to not copy a setup without taking some time to look at it. Just loading different settings and taking it to the track won't teach you how to understand what is good for you and what is not.

And as a final important note: Not always what works for you will work for someone else.

Most of your time dedicated to learn this will be based on "trial and error" so you have to be patient.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. pennarguy

pennarguy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree that changing one setting at a time is a must...if you change more and your lap time gets better, you then have to find out which change/changes caused the improvement.

The default settings are usually fairly close for me and a couple of tweaks to suit my driving style is all that is needed initially.
    I then go on to fine tuning, until I feel I have got all I can out of the car.

Only then do I look to compare my lap times with others; this can sometimes be a shock, being several seconds off the fast guys on occasions.
    The first instinct is to change the set up again, but as a rule of thumb for me, that is wrong.
    Nearly always, if I pound round with the set I found suited my driving style, I slowly get the faster times, or nearer to them...in other words, learning the track by practice, practice, practice.

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that some of the settings "Alien" drivers use should not in theory work...except for them eh? :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rodent

Rodent Member AMS2 Club Member

You mentioned the mini and I will just say that one thing in general with front wheel drive cars is that giving them a little bit of toe out goes a heck of a long way when it comes to setting up the car.

Both are excellent vehicles to start out with ( and return to constantly ) so you're on the right track, as for the rest I will just mirror what has been said above about doing only one adjustment at a time and taking the time to find and get accustomed your racing line is much more important. Don't try to do it all at once.