1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We need to talk about racing feel

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Mario Moretti, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Member AMS2 Club Member

My dream is AMS2 whit Iracing A.I.
    In Iracing A.I. is very competitive and " smart" , you can make great door to door battle whit them, in all the available circuit.
    The core of A.I. racing is battles whit smart opponents, whitout this racing is boring....
    The current situation of the A.I. makes AMS2 a racing game without the pathos of racing, useless ... and this, given the progress achieved in vehicle physics, FFB, graphics (especially in VR) is a real shame.
    I repeat the primary concept of my opening post:
    REIZA, if Madness Engine allows it, make A.I credible ,competitive and homogeneous in various situations, even with paid DLC.
    Content can wait.
    We are basically talking about the essence of car racing.
    The amount of content is secondary, it probably attracts sim racers who like to do 3/4 laps on the new car or track.
    We must make the competition exciting, that's the important thing ...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Pretty sure Reiza are trying to get the Ai to a point they feel like we are racing a human, I don't think they are happy with Ai that isn't perfect.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 is still very much W.I.P.

I've not experienced iRacing-AI but, if it's as good as suggested, it should offer us some hope that other titles may be able to achieve similar results.

4. Mario Moretti

Yes, sure.
    Of course, it is not a simple operation, but the greater the content (tracks and cars) the more difficult it becomes.
    This is why I never tire of repeating: Reiza, optimize the A.I. as far as possible in the already extensive content of the game. The rest can wait.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

This does assume a certain understanding about the allocation of resources which may or may not be correct..

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

Iracing has a whole different business model and cash flowing in by the millions.... Apart from bottomless pockets they have the luxury to also release AI racing 1 car and track at a time.

We just cant compare the 2 but if we did there are also things AMS2 does better than iracing.

Not disagreeing with you iracing AI is easily top of any sim but with all the tracks and classes in AMS2 (and weather/track conditions) they will fix one thing and break another... I just dont see it ever getting to that level AI wise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Sure Reiza never though about make the AI good. Sure, Renato commanded the AI programmer, during the AMS2 planning stage: "Son, I want this AI to be the worst piece of garbage ever build into a videogame... I want it soooooo dawn bad that players must fell the urge to take their pants through their reads!"

Mr Moretti... you are a genius. Anyone, please, give this guy the presidential chair!

#foraRenato #MorettiToReizasPresidency

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Yes, I think the track/car/conditions variety on offer can only make it difficult to calibrate an ai that requires individual adjustment. On that basis alone I think your point is probably valid. The player also does not know which car/class/track/weather optimizations are good. The latest post I've seen on this from an authoritative source is that stock cars etc on Brazilian tracks are best for setting difficulty with ai. The inference being that everything else is not sufficiently well calibrated to do so.. as additional combinations appear without a known list of good combinations, it's less than ideal from where I'm sitting, which is a position without all the facts (which itself is an important element in the user experience). I'm just starting to tire (oh look a pun) of always feeling like a beta tester and I've noticed the gaps between firing up a driving sim of any kind are getting longer and longer. After the debacle in Abu Dhabi last year even non vr arcade titles like codies with its superb career mode leaves me feeling flat (gosh I'm on fire with the puns today)..

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. RDG

RDG Active Member

iRacing’s AI, you mean the AI that blocked me 5 times in a row while I was on a qualifying lap and they just got out of the pits? ;)

The racing is fine but it’s far from perfect. Not to say the AMS2 one is perfect either, they still manage to take corners side by side without losing any speed which is a bit weird if you’re behind them and expecting to benefit from their fight, but I’m sure that’ll be tuned out at some point.

10. Mario Moretti

This is my point:
    The core of racing is battles whit smart opponents, whitout this racing is boring....Please don't confuse driving whit racing.
    The current situation of the A.I. makes AMS2 a racing game without the pathos of racing, useless ... and this, given the very good progress achieved in vehicle physics, FFB, graphics (especially in VR) is a real shame.
    I never said that Reiza want make a bad A.I., i only pray Renato to prioritize the optimization of the A.I. (if the team is capable of it and if the engine used allows it.) If neither of the two hypothesis is true then AMS2 is not for me.

11. Mario Moretti

Never stated that the A. by Iracing is perfect (no game has one) but it is quite credible and manages to render well, in most situations, the phatos that is the basis of motor racing.

12. Mario Moretti

Correct, but a careful training, organization and management of the TEAM should allow the achievement of the objectives of a project, especially the primary ones such as the I.A. in a racing game.

13. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Absolutely :) Lets hope this is the case!

14. Mario Moretti

finally an iterlocutor capable of understanding the subject with a 360 degree view.
    My wishes are like yours.

good evening my friend

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Agree Agree x 1