1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bump, Travel, Height - looking for a definition

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by racezilla, Jan 13, 2022.

1. racezilla

racezilla Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi everyone,
    As you know, the Telemetry HUD provides for each corner 3 length measurements: bump, travel, height.
    Now, what I would like to know is how each one is specifically defined.
    In particular,
    1. how is the "zero" position defined for each one, that is to say, what happens when each of the three values in itself reads a value of 0,
    2. What the value displayed actually means; to be clear, which part (the end, the top, the middle, any other) of the object in consideration (suspension, chassis, bumpstop, whatever) is the value displaying the distance from the zero position.
    I assume that "bump" simply shows how much the bumpstops are compressed. But both "travel" and "height" confuse me a bit, so I would like to find a precise definition.

Thanks in advance for any contribution :)

2. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

I'm not sure if I can answer your questions exactly, but I think I can provide enough input to advance the conversation and give you some information.
    Be aware that each of the variables you are discussing is going to vary from car to car, based on their own individual suspension settings.
    I'm going to use the Formula Classic Generation 3 Model 2 car as an example (screenshots embedded):

a) bump is referring to your currently set bump stop setting, within your car setup. this shouldn't be changing. eg: in the screenshots I have embedded, the bump stop is set to 10mm, which is displayed on the HUD as 1 cm.
    The idea of displaying this within the HUD is to let you gauge its setting, relative to other suspension settings. It shouldn't be dynamically changing and some bump stops do not compress at all (I don't think the ones in this game do - but perhaps I'm wrong). Being clear - soft materials will compress when used as a bump stop, hard materials generally won't and things like hydraulic bump stops should have a fixed setting, so they shouldn't be changing on the fly as you're driving around.
    b) travel is your suspension travel - how far it has moved through its full range of movement. that should be clear, but it's calculated by multiplying your shock's stroke, by the multiplication factor determined by the linkage setup on your bicycle, car or motorcycle.
    c) height is ride height. my understanding of this within the sim racing world is it's going to the vertical distance between the lowest part of the car's chassis at the point being measured and the ground underneath. this should be balanced relative to weight distribution, suspension setup and aerodynamics. I had a habit in the past of running my ride height too low on aero orientated cars and I would sometimes stall the air flow, resulting in a reduction of ground effect or down force.

1) zero position would be:
    > Bump stops - you've set them to zero (which might not be a good idea).
    > Travel - you have NOT compressed the suspension at all - in which case, it might be too hard
    > Ride height - you have bottomed out the car on the road - i.e. it's touching the ground, which generally speaking is not good.

2) I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking here.
    The value is showing the current value for each parameter. I think, with my comments above, it should be clear what each value means.
    Please either read my comments and clarify your question, or rephrase or clarify your question, as to me it seems self explanatory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022