1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.1.1 & Racin´ USA Pt2 RELEASED - Now updated to V1.3.2.0

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 3, 2021.

1. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I run into the same issue but not as extreme. If we could easily (and accurately!) determine which lobbies are in qualifying it would help tremendously. Currently I feel like there is a significant delay so you end up missing qualifying and are unable to join, starting the search all over again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

Is that issue still on the list? : AI GT3 are very slow when it comes to straight line speed at Daytona and Bathurst. It doesn t matter on the AI slider.

3. ozcanuck

ozcanuck Active Member

4. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

A ten minutes qualifying immediately followed by a ten minutes quick race? That's quite clearly a game, and that's also the huuuuge difference between real life and this. Some people might already have a perfect setup for just this car/track combo. Some people might get it right on first try when adjusting their car. Some might go into the completely wrong direction.

In general, this is absolutely not comparable in any way to real life, where you have weeks of preparation before hitting the track, and then a couple of days for adjusting the (already decently set-up car) to your liking. That's far more comparable to the situation in a league race, but not in a random quick lobby.

?!
    Because you are not forced to use default all the time, only when the host deems it sensible? Most times in league races it is not, as described in this post, but in quick multiplayer lobbies it absolutely is.

Fixing the setup in a non-realistic situation is in a completely different universe than your example.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Definitely not my point. I just really don't like the default setup. You can all drive whatever setup you want, I don't care. I just don't like being forced onto a setup that I don't like. That makes the experience less fun for me personally.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Agreed.
    Imo adjusting setups is not about making the car faster, it's about making the car fit my driving style and the track & weather conditions, if I feel comfortable with the car I can push it more and get faster and more consistent lap times.
    I'm not the type of player who spends lots of time adjusting car setups, but some of the default setups don't work so well for me so I do a few laps and make a few tweaks that make the car more comfortable & predictable to drive (usually after spending 15-30 minutes testing at Nurburgring GP I can come up with a basic setup that works well for most tracks). I understand some people not having time, knowledge, or patience to adjust setups but for me it's pointless to join lobbies with fixed setup, I'd rather create my own lobby and allow custom setups.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Back when AMS2 had tons of undriveable default setups, I actually had a custom setup for most cars. If I had to drive default setups back then, I simply would have refused to. Now it's a bit better but the brake pressure setting MUST be enabled in fixed lobbies at the least. But there still remains the problem of varying conditions requiring setup changes, especially for lobbies that set 60 C track temperatures. If I enter a lobby and after two laps of driving a GT3 with default setups my tyre temps are 110+C across the board, I am noping the heck out of said lobby.

As a compromise, I would propose to delete the unrealistic "radiator opening" setting from all cars and have all cars run with a turbo boost setting to have it large enough to last 20 minutes or so. These are the two settings that by far contribute to the aeroboying in open lobbies and add absolutely nothing to the driveability of the cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

There is no reason to try to make this a personal matter between you and me - because you supposedly misunderstand what Im writing.
    Because I just write: this attitude: I only want to drive the car - is most common between lower ranking drivers.
    Using "most common" means in this context that there will be few of such drivers in higher rankings.
    Because the opposite of "most" is something like "few".
    Not "none" as you suppose.

ByTheWay: Both here in AMS2 and probably also in iRacing you can allways find a few :) drivers whose driving style makes it possible for them to be competitively using default setups.

9. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Hmm, Arrows A6 (in beta files from a few pages ago) is an interesting turn up. How do you even track down who owns that IP?! And a very random one to pick. Formerly driven by Brasilian Stock Car legend Chico Serra I believe.

Is the Brabham confirmed to be 'free'? I had assumed that one would be saved for the Brasilian Legends DLC pack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

I'd assume it's the placeholder name for the generic F-Retro G3 they're using, because the two chassis look identical
    Also they based the FCG1 Model 2 off the A8 i believe

11. AJ Weber

AJ Weber New Member

One option that might be nice for people setting up servers or leagues would be to look to some forms of racing that try to equalize engines via claiming.

So for setups, what if there were an option to just have open (non hidden) setups? IOW, you could "claim" (copy and save) any other setup at any time. If setups are not secret, everyone in that race (or league) get to learn faster (about making setups suit them) too.

AMS2 and PC2 already do this for TT, so it might not be too big of a step to add server options for this too. PC2 also already has in event setup sharing, but it is not forced and is sometimes flakey.

Also, note, PC2 and AMS2 do not correctly save tire settings in TT setups. So if you grab one that auto by weather will go to hards, you have to manually switch it to softs. Also note that some TT-ers will offset their brake balance and ARBs if they are adjustable in car to throw off what you download.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What is claiming engines?

13. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No worries, I totally get this. Your post wasn't the one I was talking about.

I didn't take it as a personal insult, I was intending it to counter your point. You were basically dismissing anyone who disagreed with you as some inexperienced pleb who doesn't want to take the time to learn. That attitude just came across as 'simracing elitism' to me. Yes, "most" doesn't mean "none," but the way you went about it was still seemed like you were trying to put down other players. Maybe that was not the intention, but that's how I interpreted it. If I read into it wrong, I'm sorry, but I won't stand for gatekeeping in the community.

I understand your circumstances require you to adjust the game to different inputs, and it's great that you've found something that works for you. I totally understand why you dislike fixed setup lobbies given the changes you've had to make. My point was not that people should never mess with custom setups, my point was that simracing is supposed to be about having fun, not specifically hyper-realism.

14. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ive only seen it in circle track racing but im sure its used in other forms of racing. You can claim some ones motor by putting up 500 dollars or whatever figure the track comes up with. Usually they are using sealed motors so every ones should be the same. Unless something funny is going on...

15. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Good point.
    Completely agree with this :thumbsUp
    But there must be a lot of people who dont agree - otherwise we wouldnt have tons of posts in this thread critisising the unfair advantage that some users does adjust some setup things.

ByTheWay: When I in a LB see a driver above me using the default setup then my effort to twist my own custom setup only become harder.
    Because this cant be right when there is such an advantage to use custom setups - me think :D

16. ramsay

ramsay Active Member

I said, "The generalisation that custom setups are always faster than defaults is not always correct or accurate."

Then i also gave an example of this. The Mclaren Retro gen 1 default gives more on power rotation and is quicker than my setup but is too unpredictable for a numpty like myself to drive consistently - but a more skilled drivers like Nemesis may like or prefer the default. Maybe i should have caveated it with the fact that i am speaking from my own experience.

I do not think the quote above implied that custom setups do not give you any noticeable advantage over the default in certain classes. In others, for myself, there is very little difference in my laptimes but the car is more stable and less like it wants to kill me in every corner. If a setup is slighter slower than default but more driveable i will pick the slower setup.

If someone is quicker then kudos to them and frankly I couldn't give a toss if it is setup, better driving or both they deserve it 100% and good luck to them.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Fair enough then. I'm not saying custom setups should be banned, I'm just arguing that fixed setup lobbies still have merit. If driveability is the main reason you use custom setups, then by all means use them. On the flipside, if I prefer to run with equal machinery to others, I'm entitled to run my lobbies with fixed setups. Either way, I'm not going to convince you, and you're not going to convince me. Agree to disagree.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Default setups give no advantage to anyone, open setups give an advantage to the people who would, likely, still be quick(est) in default and absolutely should be capable of driving any car as it comes.

People on a basic wheel or even a controller who only play 2-3 hours a week just want to compete on a level playing field; everyone deals with the same car/conditions, no matter how terrible and if they drive it well, they can finish well.

Folks who don't/can't do setups, racing with folks who do/can in open servers is the kind of like playing a game of golf with Tiger Woods with his handicap inverted.

Clan races, single player and long events are where setups come in to play for me, with public lobbies, I lock it to default to keep it fair for everyone.

19. ramsay

ramsay Active Member

You maybe surprised but until quite recently i was in the same camp that defaults are the best option and setups are a PITA. It was only having to use custom setups to make the cars more enjoyable to drive for me that swayed my POV. Of course your entitled to run lobbies with fixed setups and they have as much merit as open. Apologies if that is the impression i gave.

It's encouraging that Steelreserve with his professional & analytical approach coupled with a breadth of knowledge is working on the defaults afaik and hey, i may even be a convert to default setups as my views are not set in stone.

20. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

"Fixed setups, including forcing everyone to drive with the snaggy AMS2 brakes, really level the playing field for everyone." --some guy with a $2000 DD wheel, $1000 pedals with vibration and a $5000 motion rig

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1