1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 v PC2 Graphics (ONLY)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Richard Chapman, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

Firstly I’d just like to say I am a huge fan of AMS2 and I bought into the franchise back in July 2020 buying the game and the 2020/21 (now 22) season pass for £120. I’ve enjoyed being on the development ride and think Reiza have done an amazing job thus far, AMS2 is currently my favourite all round Sim.
    PC2 has many many flaws, the FFB/Physics can be improved greatly with custom FFB files but overall there is still a lot of the Sim that did not get polished to a high (or even decent) standard, shame really as I do think it had great potential.

I was messing around the other day doing some graphical comparisons only between AMS2 and PC2. For example same car, same track, same time of day and same weather settings. I am using a high end PC with a 43” 4k 144hz monitor with all in game settings on the highest possible settings in both Sim’s. It’s fair to say both Sim’s look absolutely stunning in their own right but there is some obvious differences.
    There is just something about the colours/colour palette/colour tone/ lighting/ reflections of PC2 that really stands out and makes it shine over AMS2 (IMO). The tarmac on tracks seem’s darker and blacker in PC2 which to me looks a lot better, the screen dirt, windshield reflections seem more prominent in PC2 giving me a better sense of realism and immersion and the feeling of actually sitting in the cockpit behind a windshield. The replays on PC2 are the best I’ve ever seen from any Sim and also the closest to real life. There are certain tracks/time/weather settings when watching a PC2 replay that you literally could be mistaken for thinking it was real life.

Please please don’t think I am saying AMS2 does not look good as I genuinely do think it looks great in its own right but for me personally it does not have the realistic look of PC2. Considering PC2 is nearly 4 and a half years old and despite ALL of it’s flaws I think they did an amazing job in the graphical department.

Does anyone know a legitimate reason or even why Reiza decided to change the colour palette/tone/reflections or other graphical features when they looked so good in PC2/Madness engine?

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Active Member AMS2 Club Member

IMO I'd say the main reason is so that the two sims don't get easily confused for one another. Especially considering they use the same graphics engine. Reiza are trying to create an accurate sim, but also one that stands alone in the market whilst also saying 'This is AMS2' in screenshots.

3. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

Yeh in one sense I completely get that and what you have said is a great perspective to look at things from. As I’ve said as an all round package I love AMS2, I have small gripes about this that and the other (don’t we all) but overall I’m happy with the Sim and the development progression.

Surely though a goal for all modern Sim’s/Racing titles is to make them graphically as close to real life as possible or as good as the particular game engine will allow. IMO PC2 was on that path nearly 4 and half years ago with the Madness engine, I’m just curious as to what changed or what Reiza felt the reason was for to make certain changes in this department to make AMS2 not as graphically good looking (close to real life) as PC2. By the way I still think AMS2 looks beautiful in certain scenarios and the graphics do blow me away, I just don’t get that WOW (this could be real life) factor when watching replays like I do when watching replays of PC2.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

A couple of people seemed to of disagreed with what I’ve said above, one person in particular but they also have not felt the need to elaborate further or tried to discuss and debate the topic. I’ve not said anything derogatory about AMS2 and have simply stated my findings when comparing both Sims side by side from a graphical perspective.
    I’m still curious and I’m no further forward in my quest to find an answer as to the reasons or possible reasons for Reiza changing the aspects mentioned above.

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

I think Reiza tried to change the looks minimally to differentiate from pC2 and the stigma that that title has and possibly to help optimise performance.

Another thing is that Reiza are still learning the Madness engine and I live in hope they are planning on improving the graphics after they are done with getting the physics in line with how they want them.

I hope for better shadows (RTX shadows would be great), better rain effects (spray and windscreen drops) and remove the awful shimmer at night from headlights on the rear of cars.

If they manage that AMS2 will be 100% the best cleanest looking sim, the only real competition could come from AC2 in 2024, so that give Reiza a few years to complete their mission.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For some reason, sim racers think that grey, fuzzy and blurry graphics = photo realism. In real life, sunlight is bright, colours are vibrant, and there is a lot of contrast and saturation (unless you live in the UK). Most "photorealistic reshades for AC" look like a cataracts simulation. Sometimes real life looks even more cartoonish than AMS2:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The car at bottom is far too bouncy IMO and the over saturated lighting makes the tarmac look too bright. :p
    On a serious note though I do hope that Reiza has plans to add the graffiti to the Nordschleife. Just for atmosphere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. F2020

F2020 Member

Couldn't disagree move with the OP, imo AMS2 is highly refined in the graphics department with numerous improvements which arent subjective but actually fact.

At High / Ultra AMS2 is more rounded, solid and correct, certainly in VR.

I have literally just completed a long race round Kyalami starting at 4am in Thunderstorm conditions, progressing into the day with medium to light cloud covering, it was possibly the best visuals i have ever seen in a sim, hence me logging lol i had a question to ask... Ill post that now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

:eek:
    :D
    Yes, Plymouth, Devon Uk, this end and known as 'the grey city'. Even has a paint called Plymouth grey, lol

Agreed

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Tregonhawke

Tregonhawke New Member

:) I’m in Saltash

• Like Like x 1
  11. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For those who want perfect control to match their own perception of reality...

If you have a new Nvidia card and the latest drivers, press ALT-F3 and add a filter, then play with contract/color/saturation/vibrance/exposure and a million different settings to make the game look exactly the way you want.
    NVIDIA Freestyle: Customize A Game’s Look In Real-Time

geforce-experience-3-12-nvidia-freestyle-ui-ark-survival-evolved.jpg (3840×2160)

• Like Like x 1
  12. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

The current track graffiti in AMS2 is about right for the 1st Corona season of 2020. Those graffitis are changing every year and rarely last a full Season. Its only simple chalk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I don't understand how anyone can run in VR at this time in these conditions and maintain 90fps without turning down a load of settings. What sort of frame rate were you getting. I am running a 3080/11900K and there is no way I can maintain 90fps with high settings under those conditions if I am at the front of the pack.

14. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you run a monitor at 1920x1080p at 60fps with 10 cars you might be able to use thunderstorm, I have RTX 3090 and I can't. It's waste of time...

15. BazzaLB

Yeah, but he mentions VR so that is what surprises me tbh. I am not sure that PC2 suffers this massive crush in frame rate under the same conditions in VR (Although its been a while)

• Like Like x 1
  16. 2ndLastJedi

Race start at 4am thunderstorms with 3080/10600k with 16 cars im getting 77 fps as the hooter goes off. Looks like trash though with all the shimmering from the headlights on the rear of the cars in front. This is maxed settings minus enviro reflections at medium, shadows high with MSAA high at 5760x1080. FPS and other PC load in top left corner.
    20220126114212_1.jpg

and 88 by the first corner, then 100 by the second big left.
    20220126114927_1.jpg
    Definitely a nice playable framerate and smooth ;) Just the shimmer ruins it for me.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  17. BazzaLB

Yes, but I am talking about VR, NOT flat screen, as per the post I originally quoted which mention VR. I am sure I could play the game with no FPS issues at all with flat screen in those conditions.

18. 2ndLastJedi

I was replying just to the topic in general and the performance available with modernish hardware, as this was triple screen performance so should give some indication more so than just a single monitor.

19. F2020

F2020 Member

Hello mate,

I am actually only running the quest at 72hz at the moment, i am guessing it would half that and then run in asw?! either way it was absolutely playable, with all the water spray you can barely notice the hit to the frames anyway.

I am using a 3080 with a 5800x and 32gb ram.

20. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

Thanks for the detailed reply, it makes a lot of sense what you are saying. I am a genuine fan of Reiza’s work but I was curious as to why they’d made certain graphical changes.
    I think AC2 has the potential to look absolutely stunning graphically, long wait but hopefully worth it in the end.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1