1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Environment Map - Graphics Setting

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by F2020, Jan 25, 2022.

1. F2020

F2020 Member

Hello guys,

I have a question on the option "environment map" if someone would be kind enough to assist.

I have just been lucky enough to bag a 3080 so have been playing with some of the settings.

I wondered what the "environment map" option is, i cant seem to tell any difference between high and ultra, which is where i am pitching my 3080.

I wondered if any one could enlighten me please?

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Congrats on the 3080 :D I recently got one also, amazing to have so much power hey!

Out of the two reflections, the first one (sorry away from PC to read actual names) does the reflections on the track surface (like puddle reflections) and is the important reflections imo and i have these at ultra, the second on does the reflections on the car paint and windows, not as important imo and i have this on medium (low turns off all reflections from the enviroment like trees, posts and other track side objects.

To notice the environment reflections got to photo mode and look back at the car and look at the paint and windows reflections and change the reflection settings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. F2020

F2020 Member

Hello 2nd last Jedi,

Fantastic, thank you very much for the reply that makes perfect sense and I’ll follow your lead on medium for this as it’s not important or highly noticeable but will probably save a few frames.

I have the puddle ones etc on ultra as it really makes a difference as you say.

:) it sure is a wonderful card! Glad you are also enjoying it.

Thanks mate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 2ndLastJedi

Yeah im not sure what resolution or fps you have but for my setup having everything maxed bar those reflections and shadows on high i get between 115-144fps pretty well most situations.

Lowering the first puddles reflections causes the puddle reflections to flicker annoyingly and the car reflections just seems to lower the resolution of the reflections, not a big deal at all for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. F2020

F2020 Member

That’s interesting to know I was going to ask your settings actually so thanks.

I run everything at high (with msaa on medium) currently apart from reflections on ultra and track detail ultra, although I am maybe suffering from a placebo effect on the track detail as I can’t really tell any difference on ultra.

I am purely in v r running at 1.3 via oculus settings at 72hz, it looks and runs absolutely fantastic I am so happy with it. I could probably push the hz up to 80 or maybe 90 I haven’t even tried yet as been happy at 72hz.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 2ndLastJedi

For track detail high is honestly enough, i use Long Beach as my test track and you can see trees and crowd changes going from medium to high but to ultra it is crowds that seem to be effected and it isnt even something i notice at speed, only when i did the side by side testing.

I have MSAA on high, i tried all AA options a million times trying to remove the shimmer and flicker that drives me crazy, during cloudy day conditions AMS2 looks clean af but night and sunny the shimmer and flicker comes in. I really hope Reiza adds RTX shadows to fix the flicker and does something to fix that night shimmer and i will be so happy with AMS2 visually. Then we need to talk about the sound issues :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. F2020

F2020 Member

Thats fantastic info 2ndLastJedi, thank you.

I will drop the track detail to high as well, you have saved me some frames Sir, i salute you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1