Time Trial of the Week

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Alex Sawczuk, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 3
  2. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Am I the only guy that thinks the StockCarV8 is not as quick as it used to be? Never driven this layout of Interlagos before but when I try the car on circuits where I have a time from when AMS was first released I am struggling to get near those times now.

3. Tim O'Glock

Tim O'Glock Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This car has certainly changed over the last couple of months but I don't think it is slower now. It used to be about 3-5 tenths slower after some downforce was removed from the rear wing in version 0.9.67. However, in version 1.10 the downforce was increased to the same(?) level as before v0.9.67.

Here is the changelog:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Overall you still have less rear wing downforce though, so whereas earlier versions allowed one to run with minimum rear wing setting somewhat comfortably, the current version will be very oversteery and slower as a result unless you add some rear wing - and then you´re a couple tenths slower due to the extra drag. The car hasnt become slower since v1.0 though (bit faster in fact) so in terms of leaderboards its as quick as it´s ever been.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Tim O'Glock

I don't think I can improve on this lap.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. Isosceles Kramer

Isosceles Kramer New Member AMS2 Club Member

Tim O'Glock, can you tell me where that overlay comes from? I can't seem to find it.

7. Tim O'Glock

That's not an in-game overlay. I used Dashware to create this overlay and add it to the video. The design is borrowed from the BTCC.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Isosceles Kramer

Isosceles Kramer New Member AMS2 Club Member

Pretty cool, thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Kostis Vigos

Kostis Vigos Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Please, don't improve it any more! :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. TeSL9

TeSL9 Pessimistic (rarely flying) Finn :) AMS2 Club Member

Again. no idea what to do about the setup.. need some directions to come even in the 3 second range :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Alex Sawczuk

Vote for next week's combinations.

12. Oscar Hardwick

Oscar Hardwick Member AMS2 Club Member

@Tim O'Glock I'm curious. On your V-10 setup and on the V8 Supercar Bathurst setup you posted elsewhere the steering lock strikes me as... extreme?

Running 30deg lock on 360deg of rotation. How is it that you drive that with any consistency? Do you run ffb because I've seen that approach used by the super fast guys over at iRental and back in LFS when that had a competitive scene but none of them ran any ffb at all and said it was far quicker to do so.

Myself I can't manage without ffb or manage running the crazy steering lock : angle ratios. I'd love to see your steering inputs and have you talk through your own driving style, ffb usage and how you manage it so consistently.

13. Nahkamarakatti

Nahkamarakatti New Member AMS2 Club Member

I bet the steering wheel is set to 900 degrees... If someone is really using 30deg steering lock on 360 DOR, I've finally seen everything. :)

14. Tim O'Glock

30° of steering lock with just 360° of rotation would indeed be crazy. My steering wheel is set to 720° of rotation and I use anywhere between 26 and 33° of steering lock depending on the car and track. That's still a rather quick steering wheel which is what I'm used to because my previous steering wheel only had 240° of rotation.

I do use FFB but I guess I could manage without it because I used to run my old wheel with the forces turned up so high there was no FFB to speak of, it was clipping even when driving in a straight line. I didn't know any better at the time but I think I still managed to drive somewhat consistently.

You can actually see my steering inputs in most of my newer videos. Here is picture with a short explanation of my HUD.
    steering input.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alex Sawczuk

• Like Like x 3
  16. Spin

Spin Active Member

Would be cool if all official time trial events had a setup that was forced upon all of us (either default or a generally "friendly" setup). When I say forced setup, I mean including the steering lock as-well that way we can all drive the cars in a realistic manner and as if we were all driving the same car in real life (eg. you come into the pits and it's my turn so I jump in and drive, that way we are truly driving the same car). The only thing being changed would be our hardware.

AM now has an auto steering lock setting so I believe this can be enforced, or at-least partly but, generally speaking, an entire forced-setup would be awesome.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

People are never going to drive the car like they do in real life without the fear factor and not having to pay for damage.

I enjoy trying to find a set-up that works for me and even though I am a pretty poor race engineer it's fun for me. Also, someone has posted a decent set-up here most weeks so people who just want to drive can use that.

Standardising steering lock only works if everyone has the same wheel. Same thing if brake pressure is fixed regarding pedals.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Spin

Spin Active Member

Of course it's fun to work on setups for many; I meant a locked setup only for the specific official time trials.

All wheels can use the same lock. The game reads what rotation you have your wheel set to (eg. 270, 540, 1080 degrees etc.) and then simply adjusts the in-game steering lock (eg. 9, 21, 33 degrees, etc.) to match and therefore everyone drives the exact same car.

A locked cam (onboard) including locked up/down (where the vertical centre - y-axis - of the helmet is modelled, usually somewhere between "-10" and "-30" compared to the default "0"), forward/back (where the centre of the helmut's z-axis is modelled), and orientation offset level with the horizon (0, 0, 0 instead of staring downwards at the ground a few feet in front of you) would be awesome too but that will never happen, lol.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Husa

Husa New Member AMS2 Club Member

Locked cam doesn't really work. People have different setups and monitors at various heights and angles. To get the proper fov you might need to alter the seat position together with the fov slider. Not to mention tweaking correct angles for monitors.

and IMO if someone drives from any other camera position than 1:1, go for it. Won't be any faster really..

Having an unrealistic option for setting the steering lock also is more about the driving style. Most cars are faster with slower steering, but it's easier to catch the car with more lock. Once again it really doesn't make the car any faster.

20. kamtcho

kamtcho New Member AMS2 Club Member

I like the way that through the week of tt combo we are talking about setup, and few aliens offers their good setup. A great way to learn something new.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2