1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volkswagen Polo tsi cup

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Zolazem, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Zolazem

Zolazem Member AMS2 Club Member

I really want to love the VW cup cars but I just cant drive it. Gear ratio feels strange for example from 2e to 3e it feels like a tractor. And then there is massive understeer but i don’t feel i’m going to fast in the corner. I can’t make much setup adjustments so it must be my driving style i guess. Any advice?

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. DayrFile

DayrFile Member

I know exactly what you mean, have the identical impressions as you describe. However, I think it's just the nature of a road car (also the missing setup-options). It feels actually like going with your own ordinary car on a race track. It points nicely out the differences to race cars in regard to balance.
    For driving: I try to target an unrealistically early apex. The understeer than automatically shifts you towards the true one :) <-- that's my poor-man approach to get at least some laptime out of it. Would be interesting to hear from more experienced race drivers how in theory to drive this actually :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

The shift from 2nd to 3rd is a well known quirk of the used 6 gear. It was the same with in the H pattern 5 gear. That's why I decided to order the 7 gear DSG with the 1.0 TSI.

Since the Model in game is the brazilain made version of the Polo with an chinese made export model of the 6 gear automatic, the unoptimized 2nd to 3rd shift is correct.

What I dont deem correct is the understeer tendency at low speeds up to 80. In the real car, understeer is not noticable at all up to 80km/h at full trottle in tight corners. (195x55 R15 tires)
    There is also no lift of oversteer, since the ESP does not allow for it to happen.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Commandant Lassard

Commandant Lassard Active Member AMS2 Club Member

What is the body roll like? In game hardly any body roll side/side front/back, is this true for you?

5. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

I must say that I find this a fairly common trait in AMS2 , so many times I've found myself thinking " surely my car shouldn't be sliding at 30 -40 mph in a corner " Love the SIM enough to look past it and enjoy myself but do wonder if something is amiss .

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. McClutch

Both, VW Polo and Golf have a stiff chassis layout and not much roll at all. It is not to be compared with older FWD hatchbacks. These cars can regularly reach 200km/h on the Autobahn and you don't feel unsafe in it. No wonder, the Polo platform is made to accomodate up to 207hp and a 2.0L engine.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

We had a 2006 VW Jetta (Before the straight rear axle version) and that car did awesome at high speeds, felt very planted and sure-footed. It was the TDi / DSG but, once up to speed, handled great.

8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Note to self....never look to buy a Polo if this is how they actually feel! I spent a good lot of laps trying to find love for the AMS2 versions and left wondering what Reiza where thinking, turns out they just did what the car does! Must just have been a financial thing because they really don't suit AMS2 at all imo.:confused:
    FYI, I love road cars in sims and wish we had more in AMS2 but not if they drove like this :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Sometimes, it takes something bad for us to fully appreciate the better ones. :p:D

My main issue with these cars is that they feel extremely unresponsive, especially to throttle input's. If they are truly accurate as is, then so be it but, I agree that they are not very fun to drive, as they are. Even a sloth might describe these as being slow. :eek::D

Still, I often race slower cars just for fun. Once the competition heats up, I forget all about how slow they really are. I've had similar experiences in real life where it's not about the speed, just a healthy dose of competitive fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The TSI Cup gives me a nostalgic feeling of playing the early levels of Gran Turismo, that's for sure!

Now all we need is completely predictable AI that sticks to its line and never does anything random :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. McClutch

Thats mainly because what we have in game here is considered the "economy" version of the car. A GTI would be a fully other experience. And indeed, the 1.4 TSI should not be that limp. My wife owns a 2016 Golf TSI 1.4 140hp and that thing goes a lot better then the lighter 148hp Polo in AMS2. So, something is indeed wrong. The turn in response and stability is also better RL compared to AMS2. And don't start about the sound: AMS2 interior sound is awfull, like a sewing machine. The real 1.4 TSI has the same growl like an older 1.8 GTI.

This bring up the big question. If my own cars is not really depicted very well in AMS2, why should I belive in the characteristics of more sophisticated cars like Porsche Cups and GT4?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. McClutch

Addendum: Something is wrong with oil and in consequence, engine temperature with the TSI class. In real life with the 1.0 TSI, when I enter the Autobahn at 75°C oil temperature, the temperature will settle at 105°C after just 5 minutes full throttle >195km/h on a cold (<10°C) day. This temperature will then refuse to drop below 95° for a long time.

In AMS2 you will start with 30° oil and from there the temperature will never go above 35° and drop instantly below 25°C when you ease the throttle.

Tuning is only regular exchange parts: Mesh front grill, K&N cold air intake and Filters, NGK Iridium power plugs, Friedrich Motorsport Exhaust.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 4
  13. McClutch

I finally spend a night in Multiplayer with the TSI Cup, as a RL Polo TSI MK7 Driver all I can say by now is:
    I'm not impressed by the AMS2 representation.

I'm unable to see how this is anywhere close to my daily drive.

The unwillingness of the car to turn in is beyond what can be called understeer.
    Also the chassis is much to stiff, there is still a noticable roll at turn in in the real car.

Also the gear ratios make no sense at all, I sifted through all manufacturing data at work and found no matching gearbox. Only conclusion would be that the particulary 6 speed is not a MQ250 or MQ281 but an export model I have no data for, but even then, I have the feeling that 1st gear and final drive were inadvertently reversed and something is wrong with spring and roll bars.

Please Reiza do a check!

My suspicion is that the gear ratiosn should look like:

I: 3.240/1
    II. 2.500/1
    III. 1.536/1
    IV. 1.172/1
    V. 0.872/1
    VI. 0.677/1
    Final Drive 4.462/1

This would reflect a typical VW gearing ratio for a post 2015 VW Polo.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  14. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I agree about the understeer, I've never driven any FWD car that understeers so heavily in RL and I recently test drove a 2020 VW Golf which IMO should be close enough to the Polo. Are the Brazilian and German manufactured VWs that different suspension wise?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. McClutch

That's still true, but in it's current state all gears are "unoptimized" and its all about 2nd and 3rd all the time while, RL it woudl be more 3rd and 4th. Conclusion, final drive is wrong and as data sheets showed, 4.462/1 woudl indeed be a factory used final drive. and 3.240/1 a factory used 1st.

We have a typo here.

My fist impression of that cars in ASM2 was plain wrong.

16. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

For all intent and purpose VW Europe and VW Brasil are two different companies. The Brasil Polos might use the same chassis platform, but they do use different components, which includes the strange gear ratios. Reiza got the data directly from VW Brasil so it is accurate as per that country. I believe the suspension platform is also different but still using the brazil stiffness rates. Beyond that, how the car behaves is more down to the parameters used for the tires, engine and aero.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. McClutch

I'm still in doubt, because in the current configuratrion neither 3rd nor 6th gear make really sense.
    The optimal power to torque range between 2500 - 4000 1/min is hardly applicable in the current configuration.

I have the suspicion that values for 1st and final drive are reversed.

18. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I really want to like the Polos but the bizarre gear ratios (esp 2nd to 3rd) and the terrible synthetic cockpit sound are making it difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. McClutch

Yeah, and with the GTS, instead if getting better it rather seems that the GTS is even worse. The understeer and long final drive ratios simply kill it... and the fact that driving over curbs sends you airborne.

This is really contradicting what I do experience with the 110hp 7speed DSG EU version which leaves a "sporty" impression from 2nd up to 5th.
    And I have a hard time to believe that the Brasilian model is harder sprung AND featuring a higher ride heigh at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah the Brazilian VWs are terrible compared to VWs in the rest of world