1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The latest beta build has some (apparently significant) changes for custom ffb files. I don’t think I’m allowed to detail the changes, but thought I’d give the tuners a heads up to save wasted efforts.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Normally, I’d be excited about such news, but for some reason this sounds a bit ominous!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

There are some known issues related to FFB in yesterday's beta release but, should be corrected in the next one.

I tested with GT4 class (Custom ffb) and noticed an increase in Tear / Scrub / Brake effects but, not as much as is being reported with Default+.

Best to wait and see how things get resolved in the next release before tweaking custom files.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jayme

Jayme New Member

Hi guys,

I am a noob here related to ffb settings and I would like some help, if possible. Currently I´m using fanatec DD1 with formula V2.5 wheel amd clubsport BMW GT2 v2 wheel.

I have tried the customs ffb but I don´t think it went good due to my configurations outside of the config file. What values should I put in Fanalab and what values should I use in the FFB Settings inside the game so I could have the ffb working correctly?

Currently, in Fanalab I am using the values they suggest, but after installing the custom files I felt my wheel became very soft, with strong feedback only when passing through the bumps.

And thanks for all the effort you guys are putting to make the game even better!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. trillbo

trillbo New Member AMS2 Club Member

Can someone give me some directions on which custom FFB file to use and what settings to use?

I'm using an OSW Simucube (Small Mige). Here are my current settings:

Simucube software:
    Strength 100%
    Damping 0 %
    Friction 5%
    Inertia 40%
    Force Recon Filter 5

In game:
    Strength 40
    FX 5
    Damper 50

I tried the latest 5.0.1.3 from the first page here but with the above settings it just doesn't feel nearly as good as Default or Default+ in my opinion. Can anyone share their settings with similar hardware?

For reference, I like a pure rack feeling without any 'seat of pants' feeling on top.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Philipp

Philipp New Member

Hello Guys,

I have Fanatec CSL DD(8nm) and drove the couple races with Standard, or Standard+ Profile.
    Now i tried that latest "rFuktor 5.0.1.3" custom FFB File. But this gives me no good feedback. Curbs, slip etc...

My Settings:
    Fanalab: recommended settings from Fanatec
    Ingame: 65/0/0/0

You all talk about super fidelity feedback with this "rFuktor 5.0.1.3".

I understand that FX and Damper ingame settings are used in a different way with the custom FFB File, then with the Standard or Standard+.

Any advise how to set fx, damper an gain to get a basic setting where i can start with?

I know i have similar question like "trillbo" and "JayMe", but different hardware. ;-)

7. Oka

Oka New Member

@Karsten Hvidberg hi again! i've done some testing with the 5. files regarding the self aligning/drifting issue and i'm not convinced that it's completely fixed, tho it feels a bit better.

I decided to do some tweaks to some of the settings to see if any of them make it better but i realized i'm not really sure what some of them do, so i thought maybe i ask you guys to tweak them for ultimate realism, even if that means i lose some information. Let me explain:
    I started with the main dials like this.
    master_rack 1.0)
    (master_road 0.0)
    (master_effects 0.0)

My logic was that in a real car, through the steering wheel, u'd only really feel what the rack is doing, bumps and other vibration should be felt not only in your hand but rather by your entire body, and they are transmitted by the entire car chassis, not just the steering wheel. In short, i'm only after pure wheel self aligning. I want to feel bumps and vibrations only "indirectly", for example when you hit a bump in such an angle that it makes the wheel rotate a bit and it ultimately creates a small change in slip angle, thus moving the rack too.

These main dial settings felt better instantly, so i decided to move on to the rack settings, but most of them don't make sense to me. I turned off static force reduction as i imagine that is also not something that happens IRL. All the other stuff is not really clear to me, especially the slip crossover curves, but i guess most stuff should have 1 or 0 to get the most real wheel behaviour.

I tried changing all of them 1 by 1 but i couldnt really figure them out, so please, could you guys tune a file for me to reflect a pure, real steering wheel behaviour, completely isolated from the rest of the car?

8. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Right, you will need to adjust the values for both base and in game.
    Default/default + both give a very strong sensation(call it exaggerated) that you need to dampen in several ways on a dd base. The custom files do it opposite, except for specificly tuned variations: They give the signal very un-exaggerated that should be very minimally filtered on a dd base.

So for simucube, set:
    Friction 0
    Inertia 0
    Force recon 1

Ingame

Fx 25-ish
    Damping 30-ish

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. trillbo

10. Karsten Hvidberg

Please turn down or off most fanatec filters. I think the ones you refer to are made to dampen default/default+ which you should not do with the custom file.

I game, please set fx 25-35 and damping 30.

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. Karsten Hvidberg

master_rack adjusts everything.
    I think maybe start over with the original values in place and then set only master_effects at 0.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. trillbo

This works very well, thanks! I think I understand these custom FFB files a bit more now. I made some small tweaks to the 5.0.1.3 file as I'm not a fan of the scrub and tear effects, but still want some of the other effects. Feels great now. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

This is sorta where I've ended up for now with 5.0.1.3

Not a big change just some personal preference stuff mostly. , it might be a little softer in bumps etc.
    Lower centre_full can drastically reduce oscillations, but offset tire response with lower tear and scrub threshold maintains sharpness.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Karsten Hvidberg

Looking forward to giving them a go when back. The idea I have for 5.0.1.4 might help when it comes to having a higher center_full but still limit oscillations.
    That said I don't have oscillations on my SC2 base with my current rim, so I won't be able to know for sure. Anyways...

• Like Like x 1
  15. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

With the next update there will be changes in the FFB. I don't know to what extent it will affect the custom files. However, I would wait for these changes.

16. Pieter Nienhuis

Pieter Nienhuis Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just wondering: can comment’s in a custom-file cause delays ? Would there be a difference leaving all comments out performance-wise ?

17. Karsten Hvidberg

No, also, according to @Domagoj Lovric there is no performance problems at all caused by script execution. Unless he made new discoveries.

(Edit: @Domagoj Lovric informs me there can be performance issues in some cases, so disregard the last part of my answer.)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 4
  18. TomP

TomP Active Member

My latest file for G29, should work for G27 as well. More info here (FFB settings).

Test it and let me know what you think. Any feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Philipp

Philipp New Member

Thanks, that helped a bit! Not what i thought it will be, but ok.

20. Philipp

Philipp New Member

For some reason this one provides to me the „right“ feeling.
    The original 5.0.1.3 give for some reason too much detached and blurred feeling.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1