1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Ongoing optimization is always a target for the team, but at some point you're limited with rendering 2 images and long shadows or many light sources and other effects and details.

So we really can't promise any silver bullets but an ongoing process.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman Member

I have to add, AMS2 ran a lot better in VR in challenging weather/day/night conditions a year ago than it does now. After November, I'm occasionally seeing issues with the CPU not keeping up (especially with spray in low light and in time trial for some reason). This wasn't present earlier.

10900K @ 5GHz (all 10 cores)
    RTX 3090
    Valve Index

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Of course VR is demanding but there are already solutions on the market. For VR-headsets with canted displays (like my Pimax 8K+) a small patch (like rFactor2 devs deployed) could eliminate the forced use of parallel projection. This alone would bring a huge FPS-benefit.
    Then there is DLSS which could also be used in VR-games and of course all kinds of optimizations which benefits for 2D and VR-users :)
    At the moment I can't find a solution to race at rain and/or night at all in VR with my Pimax. Don't know what happened and if the problem is on my side but the FPS-drop at these conditions is that huge since the latest updates (and maybe the fact that I upgraded to Windows 11?) that I get a stutter-fest even at low settings. Before I could play at 72hz (with fluid 72 FPS) at rain or night when I reduced my FOV in Pimax Pi-Tool to "Potato"-FOV but unfortunately now it's not possible anymore (huge stuttering! making me nauseous...). I have a high-end-PC (RTX3090 and i9 10900k CPU) and get fluid 72 FPS (at low FOV) with full grid and even highest graphics settings at sunny conditions though. So at the moment I can only drive at sunny daylight in VR... It looks gorgeous but it's also a bit sad because Automobilista 2 has this great weather engine and day/night cycle. And it already worked in the past and therefore I know how amazing this looked... :-(

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman Member

This.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't have any issues. I guess it depends on one side on the graphics settings you use, but if you say it changed recently... I can't say I have noticed.

And I sure as hell am keeping away from Windows 11 until its been out for at least a year to be sure that all the kinks have been worked out.

6. DBH

DBH New Member

Hey guys,

I appreciate you testing this for us and sharing your findings! Keep up the good work.

I would like to get your recommendations on the following setup as to what settings to use with my specific combination :

I use an HP Reverb G2, D-BOX 4250i G3, and GTX 3090 with 9900k CPU.

Can you please share your thoughts on camera settings suitable for VR+Motion and the best currently available graphic and performance settings for my PC (there’s a lot of info here so…)

Thanks in advance,

D.

7. Mystikal

Mystikal New Member

For some reason since a few days I have zero performance with the game. Time-trial/race it doesn't matter. I have FPS of between 30 en 50. I used to have a performance of 80 to 90.

Specs:
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Boxed
    Gigabyte Aorus B550I PRO AX
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C16D-32GFX
    HP Reverb G2

SteamVr is on 57% Reso. SuperSampling on 1.5

Any suggestions? I'm getting frustrated, while I enjoyed this game really the last few months!

See screenshot when I enter a timetrial, before even going into the pits.
    [​IMG]

8. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

As you can see on the right hand side, you are CPU bound. Maybe take a look in Task Manager to see what else is using your CPU. Did you install something new a couple of days ago?

9. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I wonder if it could be something to do with your GPU. Those 30 series cards seem to have been very problematic, I have a 20 series and never have a problem with it.

10. Mystikal

Mystikal New Member

No new programs installed and like I said I had a good performance last week. So the card is okay.

11. MickT

And did Task Manager show anything else using your CPU? fpsVR clearly shows your CPU is taking over 20ms per frame (20ms would be 50fps). Can't see your CPU temperature on that fpsVr screenshot. If it's running too hot it'll thermal throttle, but more likely you've just got something else running that AMS2 is having to compete with.

12. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Should have been more clear, I was thinking more in terms of drivers and not an actual hardware problem.

13. Mystikal

Mystikal New Member

I did another check this morning. CPU usage is very low when I start up the game. Menu of AMS2 still low. The moment I load towards a game mode and it's in this game mode (overlooking the circuit) it instantly increases my CPU to the max! In windows I see a low CPU usage also when I am in the game (on the circuit). Is this now a Windows issue or a AMS2 issue? For sure it looks like it has nothing to do with my graphics card. I updated all drivers and even the latest WIN10 update this morning.

CPU temp is 96 ingame and hoovers between 86 and 98

14. MickT

That seems really hot, so your CPU is probably thermal throttling. If you install HWInfo you can know for sure. Did you build the pc yourself? Is your CPU cooler working?

15. Sims Alabim

Sims Alabim Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey!
    For performance and graphics, check out this great Reverb G2 guide by Rob Davies! It really helped with performance on my system.
    AMS VR G2 Settings

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Mystikal

Mystikal New Member

Sorry I was off for the weekend. Yes computer installed myself, watercooled Corsair Hxx system on it. I dowloaded HWinfo. What can I check here. Do I need to start the game and look at the values in this proggie? Or should I log something?

17. MickT

Yes - use the Sensors in HWiNFO to see how your CPU is performing. In particular, it can tell you if thermal throttling is kicking in. You really shouldn't be hitting those temps with an AIO on there, so I suspect something's not right there. If there is a problem, it won't be just in AMS2 - if you run a benchmark like Cinebench, you would see it too.

18. MickT

Edit: Duplicate

19. Mystikal

Mystikal New Member

Thank you for your help. Solved it. I noticed in the end there was a small bend in my tube. This probably came due to 12month of heat stress. It was not there when I installed it. Unfortunately the Bitfenix Prodigy does not give me an option to curve the tubes less. Therefor I will be replacing it for a aircooler. Hopefully this solved my issue!

• Like Like x 1
  20. _Dog_

_Dog_ New Member

Just posting to say thx to the devs who implemented VR in AMS2, i'm new to the sim and play in VR with a Varjo Aero, performance is good considering the resolution and even though i'm not reaching 90fps it's still smooth, there's some magic going on somewhere. The graphics are the best i've seen in a sim, and some of the best i've seen in VR.
    Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 2