1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy with the game, but would like to see the grip addressed

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GodzillaGTR, Mar 14, 2022.

1. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The game is really coming a long and there are a lot of cars that I really enjoy driving but I do hope the transitions in grip will be smoother someday. I am feeling 3 distinct levels of grip and the transition in some of the higher powered cars feels a bit unrealistic.
    What I am feeling is::
    1.Initial turn in grip (which I feel is just too strong. You can pretty much flick all the cars into the corners in an unnatural way.)
    2.Understeer/slide (which might be ok, but based on the other 2 it feels unnatural during transition)
    3.Regrip (Just a bit too violent. I understand that tires primary goal is to grip, but the regrip feels too strong and even small corrections can have violent snapping.)

I can live with 2 and 3, but I would like to see the initial grip toned down for sure. Sector 1 of Kansai for example feels very arcadey in a lot of high powered cars. The car that exaggerates these the most would be the F-Ultimate which to me is just an awful, awful car. I like the F Reiza quite a bit as it mostly feels very good, but at Kansai it also feels very Codemaster-ish in sector 1. The grip in the rain feels pretty well done though I will say.

Also while we are talking tires and F Reiza...can we please get the additional compounds or at least the tire colours corrected?

• Agree Agree x 11
  2. Anthony 123

Anthony 123 Active Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds the ultimate to be horrible. Not well done at all

3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Not much in AMS2 is perfect at the moment (slightly humorous :D) but as a GENERAL description then the grip transition is one of the better.
    At least compared to any other racing game I have tried.
    So instead of such GENERAL remarks then at least I personally think there are some cars in AMS2 there are way off conserning grip transition - but also other cars there are some of the most realistic conserning this grip thing.

ByTheWay: I mainly drive the F-Reiza but also the Carts and prototypes are great.
    But maybe my oppinion is influenced by I at least have some minor formula car experience from when I was young.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GodzillaGTR

Some cars I drive, like the Porsche Cup feels exactly how I believe it might irl with little to no changes, but the F Ultimate, no matter how much tinkering, just makes me want to shut the game off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Commandant Lassard

Commandant Lassard Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried the Porsche rsr 74? I think they have nailed it with that, gloriously controllable.
    Your point 3, about the harsh re-grip, to me is demonstrated with the ultima street car. Nice and progressive slide then bam shoots you off in opposite direction. I think a little too violent for street tyres.
    Completely agree with you on the formula ultimate BTW.

6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I thought this grip issue was meant to be fixed with the diff updates?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The feeling that Godzilla is describing, and that I also have noticed, feels more like it comes from the front tyres rather than anything diff related.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree with point 1. Recently did a lot of practice and then a race at Suzuka in the P3 class. I could flick the car back and forth so aggressively it was ridiculous. It got to the point where I was Scandanavian flicking while lifting, then applying full throttle while the rear should be light to try and provoke oversteer but it just stuck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. GodzillaGTR

This is exactly what I am talking about. You can violently flick the car and it just eats up that sector with ease. I hesitated to post this thread because I assumed I was just going to get ripped on, but it is nice to see others having the same experience.

10. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Out of curiosity, are you guys basing this opinion from driving in TT mode?

11. GodzillaGTR

No. I do run some time trials but I mostly do offline racing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just adding to what's been said in this thread which I totally agree with.

The guy in the video above is a profissional Brazilian driver with experience driving the Brazilian stock cars and winning a race in the 2019 model. He points out in the video that you can gain time in a very unrealistic manner by sliding the car around the corner, t1 and S do Senna at Interlagos for example, and you will gain time when in real life you would lose time instead. The big problem with this is that the player can explore this issue and play Ams2 as a game and not a sim.

Probably something for you guys to look into? Sorry, the video is in PT, but the Portuguese speakers in the team can have a listen!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. GodzillaGTR

Yeah that is what my experience has been as that pro probably better describes than I do. Flick it and slide basically.

14. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The best kind of feedback imo

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

No. In preparation for a race I'll start in time trial, then switch over to AI races to refine the set up, assess tyre wear, calculate fuel, etc. My experience is consistent, even when the track is listed as damp.

16. Chris_Traat

Chris_Traat New Member

I feel like the grip itself is good, but the balance between front and rear grip is off. The front just has too much grip. You can steer as much as you want and the front still sticks. The limiting factor is the rear grip. I think they have to lower the front grip a bit or they have to up the force that wants to push the car forward. So that the car is pushing over the front tires if you steer too much.

He describes it pretty good at 18:00min

17. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Yeah he describes it OK-ish - but if you actually check the point where the rear does "disappear" for him then its just because he is driving way too fast into the corner.
    What should happen instead than loosing the rear? :rolleyes:

ByTheWay: And conserning the F/R grip balance he is rambling about then he could just up the Rwing and/or lower the Fwing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Chris_Traat

Chris_Traat New Member

I feel the same like he does. Especially with the formula cars. Its hard to describe. But you can actually steer more than what would be "realistic" i guess. Check some videos of the Nemesis 69 who is basically number one on the leaderboards for the GT3 cars in AMS2 and look at the front tires. He is somehow using this "bug" too. For a short duaration he is basically oversteering the car a couple of times in one corner.

Look at the front wheels in the S'es or in the hairpin. It looks strange. First I thought he is using a controller but when I looked in the game it shows that he uses a wheel.

Btw the guy in the other video is an absolut legend with live for speed (N1lyn). He is also a simracing drivers coach. So I guess at least he knows a bit about simracing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Relevant video:

I have not seen evidence that you can just keep steering more and experience no grip fall-off whatsoever. It's pretty easy to look at lateral acceleration vs. steering angle to verify this. If you exceed the optimal slip angle then, yes you should get less grip but not zero grip. And reducing the steering angle briefly recovers the grip, which is what Nemesis exploits in his hotlaps to go really fast at the cost of burning up the tyres. One of the nice features of AMS2 is that you can hustle most cars in a way that is entertaining rather than being forced to drive through rote memorisation like in iRacing or ACC because going slightly over the optimal slip angle causes an instant spin.

Also, whether the car loses grip first from the front or the rear depends entirely on the aero balance, as explained by Bruno. If you try any of the celebrated RSS cars in AC, they too will spin from the rear if you turn too much into a fast corner because the default aero balance is too far forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GodzillaGTR

edit: wrong thread.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1