1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beating Ayrton Senna

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Sir_Anth, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Sir_Anth

Sir_Anth New Member

For the fun of it i tried beating Senna's 1991 Adeleide Qualification time of 1.14s
    I did this with the F-Classic G3 M1 car set to the correct day and time senna did it (2 november 1991). To my surprise i found that i could beat him by 4 seconds.
    My question is how this is possible? Are the cars in AMS2 too fast? Is it because Shifting is faster with flappy gear? Is it because in a sim you are not afraid of dying and are therefor able to fully send it without fear?
    I was actually hoping that i would not even come close to his time :(

Try it out and share your opinions with me.

2. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Yes, some are. From my experience, the the '97 McLaren also delivers performances it actually wouldn't have been able to deliver. The '97 McLaren would be around 5-6 seconds slower than the 2004 F1 cars, and yet is able to do the 2004 F1 laptimes on Nurburgring GP in TimeTrial mode.

In theory, the Gen3 M1 should be a little slower than Senna's McLaren, so it can't be the car...

That is a factor and certainly contributes to it. There are also some considerations to be made, especially the lack of technical failures. In a fully realistic sim that doesn't feature realistic suspension damage, you still would be quicker than real life.

There's also the fact that most tracks have gotten new asphalt since the 90's, which mostly will be better and have more grip. However, it still doesn't quite explain some of the time gaps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Don't know if it applies to the 91's McLaren, but Vitor Genz (a pro on the real life Stock Car) has said the AMS2 version has brakes that are just too good and not like real life. For this reason (and others, as the car sliding was making him faster when IRL it would make him lose time) he was lapping much faster in the sim than it would be in real life.

4. Sir_Anth

Sir_Anth New Member

This is also a very valid point, i did have to say that i was surprised about just how late you can brake in that car in ams2.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm sure that G-forces and bumps make part of the difference… and Adelaide is quite a bumpy street circuit.

6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

As I see it this compare between virtual laptimes and RL is completyely irrelevant.
    And personally I consider it pretty laughtable to say I have crunched Michael Schumackers laptime on track this or that.
    Because its pretty easy to both make a virtual car faster or slower on a virtual track by even extremely small changes in as example grip values.:cool:
    I know it from experiments we all made ;) back in the NR2003 (and its mods) days.
    Because here it was possible by a simple edit of a text file (track.ini) to change the grip of any car on any track.
    And eventhough it often was hard taken from the car feeling to tell the grip difference then it made a huge inpact on laptimes.
    Luckily for MP racing it was not possible to join a MP race with an edited ini.;)

ByTheWay: In AMS2 this editing is only possible for cheaters - but for Reiza its piece of cake to change the grip and by that the laptimes..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I actually think they are pretty close to the real times, and I think they have not only taken the lap time of the car at Adelaide as a starting point but that that lap time is a result of what is simulated. One car is closer to reality than the other in terms of lap time, and that probably varies per circuit. I don't think anything to worry about.

Did you compare the times on more circuits ? On some circuits it is still a challenge.
    Interlagos 1:16.392
    Silverstone 1991 1:21.618
    Hockenheim 1988 (I believe layout closest to 1991) 1:37.274
    Spa 1993 1:47.811
    Monza 1991 1:21.114
    Perhaps Kansai Classic (Suzuka) 1:34.898

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  8. Wedsley Dias

Wedsley Dias Active Member

Adelaide 88 or Adelaide Modern?

• Like Like x 3
  9. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You are right, the layout must have been the 1988 variant in 1991

Layout=Adelaide

I trusted you on your written word, but i think you used the wrong layout for 1991.
    4 seconds faster so 1:10.xx is pretty fast you would outclass the fastest TimeTrial on Adelaide 1988

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sir_Anth

Sir_Anth New Member

I think you and Wedsley Dias are absolutely right. I used the wrong layout as i didn't use the 1988 one. Thank you all! :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  11. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice.
    But just 4 sconds faster?
    Go back to race driver school ;)

The track is 500 meters shorter, which are about 14%
    Then the lap time should be around 10 sec. faster.......

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1