1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.4.0 RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know about mounted machine guns, but I would pay for a pack of Itasha skins.

2. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is crazy. There's VERY little chance if any that PC4 will ever be made. SMS being bought out by EA is definitely not a good news for Sim racers. Best thing for us is Raiza staying independent. No question about that

• Agree Agree x 15
  3. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Or they will just hand you over another arcade game like GT and PC3 because they will just make a ton more money and won't even listen to any forum. I'm sure you'd love that.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Geez, I didn't know that being acquired remove them having control of the game. Isn't the reason for a certain company to acquired another is because of what's great about it. If they removed what's "great" after acquired, then what's the point of acquiring. So you mean SMS is dead because it is acquired by EA?

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

In the history of most gaming software take-overs, the acquiring company wants the talent from the acquired company so they can redeploy them in the way they see fit to benefit their goals. You can read about this elsewhere as it's not the topic here, but I think the number of take-overs that saw the original/acquired company's product and goals blossom is pretty rare.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. DjFIL007

DjFIL007 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

And Ian Bell (founder and lead of SMS; who made the deal with Reiza for the use of the engine) left the company moments after EA bought it (cause he didn't want to work with them again; which they did for NFS Shift 1+2)... so who knows what's actually even left of SMS in current state.

7. rafaelplacce

rafaelplacce Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Your're right, but with that kind of money in the bank after the deal I woudn't work anymore too. hahaha

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. BadEngineer

BadEngineer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

One could say that the worst part of SMS has left the company. And the actual great engineering talent who created a very good engine may actually be there still. Also, for all I've read about the gaming industry, actually working for EA seems to be very good, in general (good offices, benefits, compensation, etc), despite what you may think about their games.

Also, the Codemasters/SMS/EA deal happened very close to PC3 release and these big transitions take months, sometimes more than a year to actually take effect. People blaming EA for PC3 are just spitting the usual internet uninformed gamer bull****.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ngl I would pay for an ‘arcade mode’ with this and mario kart style powerups ;)

10. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Until you don't meet their projections and they close you down. See Bullfrog Games and Westwood Studios.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jmac_the_man

jmac_the_man Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The people who you'd think of as "SMS people," rather than "Codemasters people" or "EA people," had control of PCars3 throughout its entire development.

SMS decided to make a simcade game and call it "Project Cars 3." That decision wasn't made by the people who acquired the company later.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Look at what happened to Blizzard after Activision.

13. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Diablo 2, WoW till WoTLK. etc all gone :(

Diablo 2 Resurrected is okish so far.
    WoW Classic is filled with MTX and non-classic patches
    Overwatch 2 seems to be another safe release...

There's only Reiza in my heart for now <3

14. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Part of what makes Reiza so special is the independence from conglomorate game publishers

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That's very naive
    100%
    SMS lost credibility after releasing the pile of crap that is PCars3. If they were to make PCars4, sim racers would I am sure come back to them if PCars4 were to be any good. But after EA acquired Codemasters (who by then had SMS) EA won't waste their time developing a niche game
    for the few of us when they can make buckets of money from F1, Call of Duty, Fifa, etc. So yes, SMS is (probably) dead because of EA acquisition.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

They aquire the talent, the IPs, the engines, publishing rights to prior games and so on. Whatever's "great" might be used semi-independently or just be incorporated into some other project that already exists.

17. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

At least SMS have given Codemasters plenty of assets to recycle for future games, look at the sudden influx of PCars content in GRID Legends :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think SMS and Ian Bell had the right strategy with PC2 (they way the abandoned it) and PC3 but for sure the big corporations are after much bigger ROI than simulators can provide. That is why I said what I said, not because there is any technical shortcoming at EA or Codies and whatnot, rather because there isn't a satisfactory business case for them to financially back a true simulator.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

this strategy was more driven by Bandai Namco than SMS themselfes.
    This is the + side for Reiza.
    AMS2 is NOT publisher driven.
    Lower money, but totally free (more or less) in the descissions they make

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  20. RockettSally

RockettSally The Average AMS2 enjoyer

Throwing money at things doesn't solve issues. See the big budget releases released in such a sorry state.

Money can, in fact, help you reach certain places faster and eaiser - but without coesion, a solid leadership and vision on the project, you'll get nowhere.

AMS2 was always meant to be both a passion project from passionate sim racing developers for a small team located in Brazil, but also a long-term project meant to encompass all corners of Motorsports, with a little bit of everything on offer.

In the imaginary ideal world, everything would work perfectly! The physics would be fantastic, the licensing for cars and tracks would be easy to acquire, the sim-racing community would be rational to understand AMS2 for what it wants to achieve (not for what they think) and everything would be absolute seamless.

But real-life called, and it wants hundreds of small unexpected issues/challenges to be solved.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 4