1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Magus

Magus Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing a jerkiness for only the latest content (the Formula USA and Road America). GPU is only being utilised around 53%.

If I take Mclaren GT3 into Road America, I get the jerkiness, if I take formula USA to Donnington or Brans Hatch - jerkiness.

I've not even loaded up Cleveland to try but will test the effected content hopefully this weekend.

2. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That totally happened to me too but a reboot fixed it.

3. Magus

Unfortunately that hasn't fixed it for me.

4. Magus

So after reinstalling AMS2 and some testing I have come to the following conclusion:
    • Content that was released as the latter parts of the Racing USA Pt2 DLC (Road America, F-USA Gen1 & to an extent F-USA Gen 3) does not play nice with my system in VR
    I get micro stutters all the way through without the GPU being pushed to it's limits.

I really hope this won't be the case for all DLC going forward.

5. MrSheepUK

MrSheepUK New Member

I was getting quite some jerkiness on some things with Airlink on the Quest 2 despite both GPU and CPU having headroom, but switching to the USB link has completely cleared that up, so I'm assuming it was someone interfering with the wi-fi causing that...

6. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

When I still used Quest 2 I noticed big improvement in cabled set-up. WiFi link is no good for racing sims. Cable gives much better connection between rig and HMD

• Like Like x 1
  7. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc New Member

What y´all do against the flickering of shadows? I have to play on low settings (still get only 60FPS) until I get a new graphics card. I tried higher settings with low FPS just to see if the flickering gets better but not really. For example clear weather 10 AM Monza. The parts with many trees are terrible in VR. I am just not sure if its because of my low FPS (45 FPS) wich maybe causes some kind of ghosting?

I tried MSAA on max and AF on 16x, shadows on medium. Using 50% in Steam VR. My headset is a Reverb G2. Thinking about to buy a 3080 Ti but am not sure how much better the performance will be? I am currently on a GTX 1070. I built a complete new system today with an 12700k. CPU is chilling at 15-20% while the GPU is sweating at 99% :D

8. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Flicking shadows can't be fixed in VR for this game (at least no response from Devs so far). The only way to help it a bit is increase resolution and shadows to high or ultra. But fps takes a hit...so you don't want to set shadows to high or ultra. I have RTX3090 and I don't even set shadows to medium, high or ultra. Set resolution high will help a lot but again, fps will take a hit. I rather set shadows to "LOW" (since it sucks anyway) to gain resource to increase resolutions. Set MSAA and AF to MAX.

• Like Like x 2
  9. lensman45

lensman45 Member

I get great smooth results with Airlink. It's just down to setting up a dedicated wireless network. Haven't used my Link cable for ages now, for AMS2 or any of my other VR games.

10. A.F.K DaN

A.F.K DaN Member AMS2 Club Member

If you have motion smoothing enabled, this might give you ghosting aswell.
    Make sure your problems are actually from your GPU (chances, though, are pretty high in your case), because some tracks or part of tracks are not optimized very well.

I'm sitting on a 3700x and a 6800XT and I get some sort of ghosting / microstutters as well even with pretty low settings on some tracks (Road America for instance, Parts of Nordschleife, many trees around in both cases, too). Looking at taskmanager on that areas look like those are more cpu related bottlenecks. GPU usage seems pretty low / not near 100%.

11. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc New Member

Exactly these kind of things make me wonder if its worth to invest 1600€ on a graphics card, just to get "tiny" improvements. Yes these cards are great for 4K gaming on a monitor (what I dont care about) etc. but in VR all of them kinda suck. Even on high end cards ACC seems running bad in VR. AMS2 as well. Only in Assetto Corsa I get 90 FPS with my 6 years old card lol. So that means if I had a 3080 Ti I probably could run 100% or more in AC on Steam VR. But then again, spending 1600€ for a crisper image. I am fighting with my self to wait for the 40xx series. But its still a long way to go...

12. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Oh yeah, I know what you mean by motion smoothing and the ghosting. I used to play and deal with it back in the days w/ 45fps motion reprojection and I had to tolerate it because I have no choice lol. My graphics card wasn't that great back then but I feel so immerse in VR and I just want to play it. Now that I have RTX3090...I would never want to switch back to that experience again...it's either 90fps or below for crisp graphics and easy for the eyes.

Since you have Reverb G2 which mean the headset is capable of displaying high end graphics, I would invest in a high end graphics card to take advantage of the beautiful graphics in the game though. I know I did with my PIMAX 8KX and it looks great. But again, there is always compromise and you may not feel the power is enough to show higher details and that's true with AMS2. You always wish you can MAX out everything in the settings, but I think that's going to take one or two generation of graphics card upgrade to get there . Waiting for that takes a long time...and by that time, I'll probably get PIMAX 12KX already...which mean it may use eye tracking technology to help display detail graphics without taking resource from the high end graphics card.

13. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc New Member

I ordered the 3080 Ti today. To be honest I dont care so much about superb graphics. I am ok with low to medium quality settings. I only care about a crisp image. Hope I can play at 100% Steam VR setting. Because at 50% everything looks kind of blurry (in all games). But 100% really looks nice. Otherwise I will give up VR and play on a widescreen monitor.

14. easy81

easy81 Member

I with an Rtx3080Ti have a resolution on Steam at 60% - MSAA on medium and medium shadows. I have the G2 and to reduce the blur I printed the mod mask and installed the RESHADE effects for more sharpness. Fixed 90fps

15. EmilG

EmilG Member AMS2 Club Member

CPU is also just as important in VR as GPU. what CPU are you guys running with your 3080ti?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc New Member

Just built a new PC with I7 12700K.

17. easy81

easy81 Member

3080TI e 8700k @4.8ghz....but it works at 40%

18. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc New Member

If I look at the PS5 and Gran Turismo 7, the PS5 runs on an AMD 5700 XT equal GPU! Gran Turismo is the best looking racing game ever. It looks simply stunning. Rain, night, fog, extremely detailed grass etc. in replays full blown raytracing. All no issue for a last gen GPU. It runs on 4K at 60 FPS. Thats massive! I know not comparable with VR but the GPU is so slow. We buy GPU´s that are 3-4 times faster and yet have tu f.ck around with low to mid settings... I dont say this about AMS2 but for PC games in general.

19. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc New Member

What is the mod mask? You mean getting closer to the lens to get bigger FOV? Does that influence blurriness? I hear this also works with a Samsung Foam.

20. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi all, just wondering if there's any voiceattack users here, I'm trying the latest update now and the new ICM has totally messed mine up.
    I've spent a couple of hours trying to get it it to work with no joy, it just gives random inputs,
    Has anyone here managed to get it working?