1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 on Netflix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BartZ, Mar 11, 2022.

1. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Season 4 released today. Excellent. Highly recommend :)
    As before shows a lot of what's happening behind the scenes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Has it calmed down a little or is still over-sensationalising situations and blows them out of proportion?

I like the behind the scenes knowledge that comes with the show, but I cannot stand the directed (as in directors choice) drama that it comes with.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BartZ

I guess it's their job to make it dramatic. That's tv. But I still recon it's a good show

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BartZ

The more I watch it the more respect I have for the team bosses and less for the drivers. With some exceptions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

It's a soap opera. It's all about the backroom scheming and drama. It quite deliberately has nothing about driving, race rules, car specifications or any of that nerdy stuff. It's been wildly successful with audiences that have no interest in F1, or even motor sport. I enjoy it for what it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. BartZ

Yea, nothing about specifications or other nerdy stuff otherwise it's be called "now to engineer a race car". But "nothing about driving"? Huh? lol
    Approach it not like a racing driver wanna-be elitist, then it's enjoyable

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Gagaryn

Isn't that what I said?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. BartZ

No

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Gagaryn

It is you know. We are saying exactly the same thing - it's not for racing nerds, it's all about the backroom drama and it is enjoyable. What bit of what I said is confusing you and making you disagree - I'm here to help. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ramsay

ramsay Active Member

Thnx @BartZ for the heads up, gonna watch it tonight. F1 is as much about politics as the racing with all it's backroom shenanigans. Hoping it's as entertaining as the racing was last season. Looking forward to the new season more than i have for years. :)

11. BartZ

Yea. Me too. Can't remember last time I looked forward to a season as much. I'm expecting a lot of changes in forerunners. No longer two team race I think :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not watching it. This show withbothsr aspects of F1 is what caused the championship disaster last year. The focus was to entertain when the focus should always be racing.
    Also, some F1 drivers on Twitter have said that the way the show editing was really badly done. Using what the driver had said out of context etc...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I watch the show on/off when walking on the treadmill. First episode of the last season was ok. I would love it more as a documentaire. Now it's a bit too bombastic for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the coverage of Formula 1 is too much about drama and far too little about technology and car racing.The reporters will talk artificially louder and faster when it gets semi-exciting, some even start screaming also more and more riders have started shouting excessively loudly when they cross the finish line first.(probably because they know they're on TV) the F1 show fits perfectly into that trend, fewer facts more emotion. However, it is what most people find most important. We now have a Dutch racer who is doing reasonably well and suddenly Formula 1 is hot in the Netherlands, probably not because of racing but because they have an emotional / nationalistic bond with the driver, and he is winning. In almost all television programs there must be a good dose of emotion otherwise one does not watch anymore, almost all detectives now also have marital problems or some personal problem that does not contribute to the story but to the emotional experience. Many people love that, With us the most frequently asked first question to an athlete who has done something is "How do you feel?", and if they cry too, it doesn't get any better

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gagaryn

I agree with this. Like I said earlier, the Netflix show is an enjoyable soap opera with an F1 theme. I have no idea how accurately the back room drama is portrayed, but it almost doesn't matter. F1 was bought by an American mass media corporation 5 years ago. Their sole purpose is to market F1 to a broader audience and increase revenue. They have zero interest in motor sport technology or racing, they are only interested in increasing viewership. All the drama and hyped up shouting works. I can't see any of this ever changing. @BartZ, this is your cue to disagree again. :p

16. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You have to admit though, they make Guenther look like a funny fu#$&r. I would watch it just to see him

17. BartZ

Well said. The dude is a legend :D

• Agree Agree x 1