1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UDP Telemetry Data

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by arilink, Dec 3, 2020.

1. arilink

arilink New Member

I am very interested in racing games and I am also a DIY enthusiast. I am trying to make a Dashboard recently to display telemetry data such as vehicle speed, rotation speed and gear during the game. Now it has been connected to F1 AC and other games. However, I have not found a method to access the telemetry data of Automobilista 2.Where can I get information?

• Like Like x 1
  2. viper4r

viper4r Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You can use AMS2 API if you really want but you also don't need to reinvent the wheel. Just use SimHub (donation ware)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I have a better idea.
    If you is able to program a nice little app that will translate the telemetry output from AMS2 to a format that is understandable of the free MoteC analyzer/telemetry program MoTeC i2 Pro I will pay you the equivalent of $89 (USD).
    Because that would raise AMS2 to a telemetry level of iRacing, rF2, ACC and GTR2.
    How about that.
    Answer here or give me a PM ;)

ByTheWay: No Im not interested in some of the telemetry "toys" that is circulating for AMS2. Hehe because I know what a full telemetry prog like MoTeC i2 Pro is able to :whistle:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. newtonpg

rF1, GTR2, F1C, rF2, iR, AMS1, AC and some other titles I had in my PC and possibly forgot to mention, are good examples of Motec integration, even though only the SIMBIM title was licensed by the Australian company if I'm not wrong.
    I can't imagine simracing without telemetry analysis and of course I know how to program Motec to all mine needs but now (1) there are severe legal restrictions on using Motec data file format without licensing and (2) there are some very reliable freeware and paid alternatives to AMS2 and other titles that deserves my respect.

6. BrunoB

Hehe looks like you allready knows a few things about this :p
    But I understand what you are saying about the licencing issue - and I have had this discussion before.

Digging a bit deeper in the problem then to the best of my knowledge the MoteC company does only demand a licence agreement if a sim developer directly make the sim to output telemetry data in MoteCs proprietary format.
    Thats the main reason the sims I did mention let some 3rd party guys create a "translator" that takes the telemetry output from the sim and translate it to MoteCs own format.

Principally this kind of translating formats could be into some grey area licencingwise - but MoteC have never commented on this and have never taken steps to stop it.
    Probably because the dont want to stop it :D
    And my guess is that they consider the free publicity they get because a lot of sim racing nerds get to know how advanced the REAL MoteC telemetry tool is against any competition.
    Maybe except the other professional telemetry brand McLaren Atlas.

The reason I would be ready to pay for such kind of "translator" is because I know from my time as an iRacing member how advanced the REAL MoteC tool is.
    And how easy it is to use - at least if you just want to let MoteC take care of the more trivial tasks the more toyish "telemetry" tools are doing.;)

ByTheWay: Conserning MoteC and rF2 then I found a comment from the head of the rF2 developers:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. newtonpg

Good old news for rF2.
    About 2 years since first announcement...
    In the meantime I uninstalled rF2 as I disagree to their DLC price politics.
    Concerning AMS2 there are good telemetry options, no desperately need for Motec (although welcome).

I think its time to get back to the OT

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. BrunoB

OK.
    But none of what you call "good telemetry options" is as example able to calculate grip!
    Only the REAL MoteC is able to do it - because you can use its integrated prog language to create special sub routines.
    Calculating the grip directly from the telemetry data of some practice laps can as example decide which changes in a setup is optimal on a certain track.;)

ByTheWay: End of guessing is this setup change better or worse? :cool:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. newtonpg

o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. BrunoB

GripCompare lap2-7klip.png
    MoteC calculating grip.png

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. newtonpg

One of the little toys I'm using...

13. BrunoB

OK.
    I just checked this socalled learning video out you are linking to - and understand that the guy actually only have a complete superficial knowledge about both how RST and even worse MoteC is working.
    Example: In the beginning he says I wonder what Im been doing here? - when he looks at some graphs.
    Actually he is also saying that he is disappointed because to the contrary of the real MoteC telemetry tool you have to manually input all the details (data) for every cars in RST before you can use it (to display graphs).
    But he dont use much time to say that MoteC does this automagically.;)

He also says: What I like about RST to the contrary of MoteC is that it limits what you are doing to what it can do.
    Doesnt sound very flexible to me.:D
    While he is fooling around in the real MoteC he is saying: In MoteC you have to know what you are doing to understand the graphs.:rolleyes:

But it actually looks like he dont even know the most simple things about MoteC.
    Example: He is saying that in Motec you cant narrow down the display(graphs) to a particular corner or straight.
    Come on this is completely rubbish.:cool:
    This is very easy in Motec by the slide of a lever underneath the graphs.
    He is also saying: Because MoteC is such customisable you get thrown into the deep end.:rolleyes:

ByTheWay: Come on. This video is waste of time. Hehe and it hasnt got me in any way more interested in RST - mainly because I know what MoteC can do both for a sim racer and for a RL racer.:)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. newtonpg

Sorry for you

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Is there a way to use Motec i2 for AMS2?

16. MobileSchikane

MobileSchikane New Member

Is there a way to use Motec i2 for AMS2?

17. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

All these tools are useful, it's just a matter of which one you like in particular. Saying one is better than another is not helpful, just starts up useless arguments.

• Like Like x 2
  18. BrunoB

No unfortunately nobody have cared to create an "translator" app from the AMS2 telemetry output to the custom MoteC file format.
    Unfortunately because a few months ago a guy just published such an app to Raceroom.
    And as I understand it it was not specially difficult - hehe if you know what you are doing ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. racezilla

racezilla Member AMS2 Club Member

Could you please share the link? Or DM me?

• Like Like x 1
  20. BrunoB

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1