1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula Ultimate 2022

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Kevin del Campo, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Ive been giving the 2022 Formula Ultimates a couple of tries lately and couldnt help but notice something.
    Are these cars just too easy to drive?
    Ive been simracing for quite a while and have a pretty decent setup, CSL Elite with Heusinkveld Ultimate pedals, but Im definitly not an alien by any means, and jumping into the Formula Ultimate 2022 just feels a bit "arcady" almost, in terms of difficulty/realism.
    When I jump into RFactor 2, Their Formula 1 (Formula Pro and F1 2021 mod) and latest Indycars feel a lot less forgiving and will bite you in the ass if you make a mistake. But the Formula Ultimates dont seem THAT much harder to drive than a GT3 car with all its assists. And yes Im running everything on "Authentic" and all assists are turned "OFF".

One thing Ive noticed in the CART series as well, is that you can just huck and slide the car through a turn without being punished for it.
    Getting on the throttle on corner exit also feels more forgiving than it should be.

Its not like Reiza is giving us cars that are deliberately easy to drive for the sake of playability, looking at you Group C...
    So maybe Im underestimating the real life handling capabilities of these new F1 cars and R Factor2 just got it wrong?
    I havent tried the F1 Mercedes in iRacing which seems to be really good, maybe someone who has can compare them?

Thoughts?

Edit: Using default setup

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  2. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Everything is easy to drive when you're running full wings and are miles off pace.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Drive F1 2022 at Imola. 1.15.200 is quite a good time. Tell me then if its too easy/arcady, hehe. Heck F1 V10/V12/F1Gen2 are even more grippier/on rails, but still fun.

4. Kevin del Campo

Default setup has 32 out of 48 downforce on both ends.
    Great post though, very insightful..lol

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kevin del Campo

Im not saying these cars are easy to drive fast. Just that theyre really forgiving in the way they handle...

Ill try Imola though but cant promise anything... :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Where does the notion come from that racing cars must be inherently difficult to drive?

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

public multiplayer show different results. most people lose the rear under braking or shortly afterwards

got to admit the default setup is very unstable in low speed turns, prolly has something todo with how the diff or the engine brake is setup in the setup, i changed a few things and its much more stable in low speeds

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kevin del Campo

I explained part of this in my first post.
    But the fact that the top 1% of race car drivers of the world sometimes struggle to tame these beasts kinda gave it away for me...

And Im not just talking about any race car either, Formula 1 is the pinnacle of race cars.
    With the power to weight ratio and no TC or ABS Im gonna guess theyre a lot harder to drive then most other race cars.

I saw a yt vid of Valentino Rossi driving Lewis' Merc around and spinning it out on one of his first laps. I doubt he was pushing that car anywhere near the amount we push them in the sim.

And I tried a few quick laps on Imola and obviously got nowhere near the 1.15 mark.
    But I was correcting snap oversteer and power drifting the thing around corners like it was nobodies bussines.
    Pretty sure Im not that good of a driver. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Does this car emulate the low speed lack of grip that this new generation of F1 car is meant to have? I have not really run it yet.

10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Basically this car has less downforce, so during slow speed corners you even have way less downforce. Easy as it is. Correct? @CrimsonEminence @Ettore

@Kevin del Campo Don't forget to run a lap with Balanced/Build ERS, then before the DRS you switch to Qualify ERS, turn on DRS and pewpewpewpew!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. azaris

Apparently F1 cars don't just spin uncontrollably even if you ride the kerbs so hard the car literally jumps in the air:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Simcade

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Unless your name is Carlos Sainz, He can spin it even without hitting the kerbs, lol.

14. Kevin del Campo

Nikita Mazepin has entered the chat*

But yeah your video proves absolutely nothing about how these cars handle in the hands of a bunch of plebs like us.
    Heres some of videos that also prove absolutely nothing but look kinda cool I guess.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Like also your comparisons with other sims don't do. (No offense at all, just the reality of things)

Everytime, this sim releases a car there are discussions about cars being too easy or too hard to drive, because this or that sim does it differently. Maybe it's the best then to enjoy what's more to your liking. But drawing conclusions on realism by that is pretty much of no value at all. :)

Maybe things change, maybe not, but there are people working on these cars in/on all these simulators that understand a bit about the technology involved and still all of them have differences, that are constantly doubted by the userbase.

• Like Like x 1
  16. azaris

Well it proves that the kerb behaviour in the overrated RSS cars is completely wrong, which means they are not a good comparison point. And the old "well these cars are only driveable in the hands of driving GODS" argument doesn't prove anything either and does not help the devs make these cars better.

17. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Gen2 is actually the car I like the most right now. I feel like the tires behave very close to what I would expect and driving the car I don't recall many moments when I think "that was odd" like I do very often in say the F Reiza.
    I wouldn't say it is easy to drive but yeah it is pretty planted. It is less punishing than the F pro but if you have driven the Release Candidate one you'll see it is less of a beast on throttle now. The Fpro in my opinion was a shade on the unnecessarily difficult side. I just don't think a modern F1 car would spin out quite so easily in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear on soft slicks.
    Full disclosure I have never driven a real F1 car and I can only manage a 1:16 at Imola in the Gen 2. Both cars imo feel in the realm of believable with recent updates.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Kevin del Campo

Yes you are right and thats the entire reason for this topic and thats also pretty much exactly what I said in op. Even though Im leaning toward real life handling being harder, I never said this car is too easy to drive in this sim. I simply said its easier compared to other sims and was asking for other peoples experiences and thoughts.
    Maybe the constant doubt, as you mention comes from the fact that these cars drive so different across different sims and only one of them can be right/realistic?

Ive never driven an f1 car and the fact that I can handle one really well in this sim, or any sim for that matter just surprises me a bit.
    Thats why (again in op) I asked if am I underestimating how well these cars handle irl.
    If they do drive like this in real life then I guess thats a good thing for us because it will allow us to push them harder in the sim.
    If they are harder to drive irl I would also love for that to translate into the sim, because I really appreaciate the realism factor.
    I honestly dont want to drive the sim thats "most to my liking" I want to drive the one that gives me the most realistic experience.

I understand they couldnt make them TOO hard to drive if that was more realistic, because nobody would buy the sim, but I dont think its that weird of a question to ask given the discrepanties and imo it would be in everybodies interest if Reiza get the level of difficulty right. (IF they dont already have it right)
    Looking at how Reiza handles these things Im sure they will make changes to the car accordingly when new information is available, like they have done with other cars.

Unfortunately it seems that some in the community are already 100% certain that Reiza is infallible and that Im just too slow and using too much wing.:D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Kevin del Campo

Which is why I provided two examples of what I think could be improved upon in my opening post.
    One of them not being restricted to just the Formula Ultimate tho.
    But yeah its not like you actually read my opening post to begin with.

20. Kevin del Campo

Thanks for the input, I have driven the release candidate version but its been a while since Im often away from home due to work, Ill see if I can jump back in for a comparison.
    Im also loving the tyre feel on the Gen 2, and although I know this is subjective, (Ive never driven an f1 car either) it does actually feel like what tyres should feel like with my limited experience driving a few racecars on t. Which is definitly one of the most impostant aspects of any sim.

Do you have any tips for a decent setup for this car?
    Ive only been driving it in default setup so far and honestly not that much into setups, especially when it comes to f1 cars...