1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed Foveated Rendering - anybody able to make it work with AMS2?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Selcuk Koc, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc New Member

I use Fixed Foveated Rendering for iRacing and it is giving me MASSIVE performance boost. With Fholgers Mod I am able to run iRacing at Steam VR SS 100% and game specific Steam VR SS at 220%! I use FFR (0.4/0.5/0.65) and FSR at 0.8. Its running locked at 90 FPS while GPU (3080 Ti) chills at 70-80%. But I have some settings on low like sky and also disabled all mirrors besides the virtual mirror. And on racestart I have 70-80 FPS until few meters into the first corners of a track. Without the mod I was barely running at Steam VR 100% and game specific 100%.

So I tried hard to make this mod work with AMS2 but had no luck. Either the game does not even start or if I replace open_vr.dll (with a different FFR mod) the game just crashes before starting. Currently I am only using the FSR mod but am not very happy with the artifacts due to 0.6 FSR setting. I run it at Steam VR SS 100% and AMS2 Steam VR SS 180% and most of the time its 90 FPS locked. But am sure if we could get FFR and FSR running there would be a massive boost for AMS2.

Anybody know how to make FFR work with AMS2? Would be heaven!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  2. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc New Member

4. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Sad :-(

It must be a compatibility issue then between AMS2, SteamVR and the mod because I have it enabled and working with my Quest 2 in Oculus runtime mode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Unfortunately, AMS2 uses a very old version of the SteamVR API (openvr). None of the various tools going around are compatible. The crash happens when AMS2 tries to access the unsupported version. The only exception to this is the fsr mod, that Jabbah got working, but that's unlikely to happen for any of the newer tools. Just got to hope Reiza have the ability and priority to upgrade the version of openvr they use.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

updating the library to the latest one isnt that much work, prolly a 2min job really. someone just has todo it, and its not really nessasary since the game works fine with the super old one, so i bet this prolly wont ever happen or really really late in the development

7. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc New Member

Or if it´s a 2 minute task we could kindly ask them? FFR is like a miracle cure for VR and we would all benefit from this.

8. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

dont want to be that guy, but u could also ask the person who made ffr to make a version for the openvr version that ams2 is using ( i could look it up if u want, cant remember from the top of my head )

• Like Like x 1
  9. Balamacab

Balamacab Member AMS2 Club Member

The solution is here in the forums... I don't recall where, but i recall that or was needed to start ams2 in windows 7 compatibility mode look for the openvr_fsr thread

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

The original discussion and work is here - FSR for OpenVR

That original FSR mod still works well... and has a radius parameter which effectvely is FFR... full rendering in the centre, reduced outside the centre. It's not multi-layered, like others but I suspect the extra gains are minnimal.

In my G2, a radius of 0.3 is fine, since the sweet spot is small anyway.

Full info in the doc I wrote on AMS2 VR, here - AMS VR G2 Settings

• Like Like x 1
  11. Selcuk Koc

Selcuk Koc New Member

I use the method from your description already but I hate those artifacts from FSR. In iRacing I dont use FSR (disabled it again) and it looks great with only FFR at 180%.