Time Trial of the Week

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Alex Sawczuk, Nov 4, 2016.

1. krusti

krusti RaceSimulatorItaly Founder AMS2 Club Member

You'll never become a good driver if you don't want to learn how to set-up a car. Set-up sharing is a good thing yes, but the goal should be to build your own and personal car that fits your driving style and the track where you're running.

Give a man a set-up and maybe he'll go faster,
    teach a man how to set-up a car and he'll go faster everywhere.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Novotny

Novotny New Member

I've only joined in the last two weeks but this is terrific fun. Doing both xbox controller when I don't want to annoy the downstairs neighbours and a fairly ****e wheel for when I can do the stomps.

So yeah anyway, when are we going to ban Tim? ;)

3. Spin

Spin Active Member

If people don't want an "all equal cars" time-trials then having the server automatically retrieve the car's setup for others to use would be a cool thing to do in my opinion. That could encourage many more users as many people are often stuck or just clueless about setup. People 5 secs off, for eg., may suddenly find themselves only 3 secs off after trying a number of setups. It can potentially really enhance competition at the front as-well.

Well the seat position should be dead-centre (x, y, z axis) of where the in-game driver's head is modelled. FOV and driver head (aka seat position) are not related to each-other. There is only 1 position the driver's head is at, regardless of FOV.

This is not the right thread so all I'll say is that in Live For Speed, Netkar Pro, and real-life, people (including pros) can save the car just fine with relatively "normal" steering lock, and can get into all sorts of slide-angles and give all sorts of large opposite-lock correction steering angles even with "hardcore" racecars like F1, GP2, karts, F3, etc. But this is a physics engine topic so I'll just leave it at that.

Anyways, I think the setup being listed for download beside each laptime on the time-trial website would be a very welcome addition (implementing the time-trial event in-game instead of requiring users to visit a website would be the icing on the cake) :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  4. Spin

Spin Active Member

Do Formula Vees really use 900/32 degrees of steering lock? I usually force myself to use the game defaults to be most "realistic" but this doesn't seem correct to me...

5. Frederik

Frederik New Member

How do you guys cope with the oversteer? I mean, as long as I'm just driving around and not shifting I can correct it and handle it. But on hard braking zones, steer perfectly straight, I shift back from 4th to 3th and splat, my rear is gone. I tried early shifting, late shifting ... must be something with my technique, but can't put a finger on what. Setup wise I'm getting close :p.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Spin

Spin Active Member

Make sure you're good with your blips. Give the car a bigger blip than you think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Husa

Husa New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm all in for the fixed setups, but what I said is still true. Nobody will be faster with a ridiculous amount of steering lock if you can handle the vehicle you are driving. And yes you do need to adjust the head position, atleast in the vertical direction and if someone wants to drive from a position that's not 1:1 I couldn't care less because it really isn't the fastest way around the track. Not everyone has their monitors set at the same height like I said so a 100% fixed position would be almost as stupid as a fixed FOV regardless where your head sits.. Let's not make this a pointless IRL this IRL that argument as there really is no need. I'd like to see fixed steering ratios too, minus the cars where you can and will adjust them.

8. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Congrats to Matt Kirby for winning last weeks Time Trial, we've switched it over to Dirt Series @ Ascurra now :)

(I'm away at present, sorry for the lack of official tweets and pictures etc)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There's no Dirt series available in the series dropdown menu.
    Ascurra track is also missing from the tracks dropdown menu.

10. Alex Sawczuk

11. Jan Mikuž

12. Frederik

Frederik New Member

Thanks !!! It's only yesterday I could give it another go. That was indeed my problem. I'm pretty new to sim racing and this technique was not something that came up to my mind to solve my problem ^^.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alex Sawczuk

Apologies for the lack of updates over the holiday period. Normal service shall resume from here on in.

There was an error in the way the leaderboard was setup for the Dirt series, so Tim O'Glock won again, but we had to wipe the results as the FDirt & Lancer were not supposed to be in the same series.

For next week I will publish a poll tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Alex Sawczuk

Sorry Tim, but as I understand the Steam back end which is used to host the leaderboards only allows us to delete, not reorganize.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tim O'Glock

Tim O'Glock Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I see. Thanks for the explanation. I'm just disappointed cause I had finally set a good lap time at Foz.

16. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

My entry for high jump of the week :)

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. Alex Sawczuk

18. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

FYI this is another example of something I cannot do (if Opala is selected) in AMS because of need to mod vehicle because terrible bonnet cam and also because Real Head Motion works only in cockpit.

19. Jan Mikuž

Is it me or is the FTruck very susceptible to lock ups while steering is applied ?
    Just playing the Taruma TT a bit and i'm constantly locking up in that nasty double right.
    Barely touching the pedal and it still locks up. So annoying and it's messing up my front tire,
    which is constantly 130+ degrees.

Straight line braking fine, but as soon as if have any minor steering applied it locks up.
    Very strange and i think smth is off here...

I know the controller .ini (or smth..) sometimes gets corrupted after major updates for me (not sure why),
    causing my old controller presets to exhibit such behavior (very early lock ups, steering not
    the same anymore...)..Not sure if this is what i'm seeing here, since the straight line braking feels fine
    without any lock ups.

Anyway, just wanted to know if the heavy lock ups while steering is normal or not ?

Cheers

20. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe try a different truck. Initially I assumed they all had the same physics but I noticed they actually feel quite different. The Volvo turns-in best for me but doesn't have great traction, while the M-B is the opposite seeming very planted but I struggle to get it to turn-in.