1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Even after the update the cars still ride slick in the rain

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Andre Ramoni, May 2, 2022.

1. Andre Ramoni

Andre Ramoni Member AMS2 Club Member

In fact, the problem of dry tires in the rain has improved, now it is not advantageous to continue with them, but I believe you took it easy with their grip review, because from the video you can clearly see that it is quite far from the real thing. never that the driver would be able to keep the car on the track in these slick conditions, LANDO NORRIS RUSSIA 2021.

2. EmilG

EmilG Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't see a problem. Your first video of you driving, you're ALL over the road and barely in control, just as it should be.

In the second video, only 1 car came off the track (due to driver error), but the other 2 vehicles kept on the racing line.

I think maybe you have a skewed idea of what kind of grip slick tyres should have in wet. No offence intended!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I see no problem either.

4. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know about the Haas in that video (I'm pretty sure it is Mazepin who was also on inter), but Hamilton is on inters at that point which is why he stays on the track so easily compared to Norris on the slicks.

5. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not to mention that Norris's tyres already had 22 laps in them.

6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyway what is the point here? That if it starts to rain, the player will slide into the nearest wall with no hope of making it back to the pits? What would be the benefit of that? Why would anyone use variable weather if it worked like that?

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Vitor

Vitor Member AMS2 Club Member

Also, there are so many examples of races with mixed weather in f1 at Interlagos through the years that you could have used to compare with the game (last laps of 2008 for example). They would also compare much favorably with what you saw in game

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

With the amount of water I see on first video, the grip that can be seen is what I would expect with wet tyres, not slicks. So yes, still more work needed, but as long as they keep on making revisions, which I'm sure Reiza will, I'm fine with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

the slicks have a huge amount of grip at high speeds which i dont think is quite realistic, usually u would experience immense amounts of hydroplaning, did a quick test with slick, inter, wet
    no idea wtf is wrong with the inter/wets, they are really bouncy and get a huge amount of grip in a split second.

overall i think using inter/wet is faster per lap but the slicks are alot more predictable, i can easily drift them, while the inters grip and then lose grip etc

tire wear "accelerated", setup is the same except for the tires, i restart the session in order to have the same surface for each tire

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The wets/inters still have work to be done. Structure as well as treads. Structure will help, but the treads also needs to be balanced by how much water they can clear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

also i think the tirewear while sliding on the wet is 1:1 the same as sliding on the dry. this needs to be adressed, there is no way a sliding tire with lubrification wears like a tire that has no lubrification, aspecially if the tire temp is really low like in my video, the rubber's got to be really hard + wet + hydroplaning to some degree

offtopic:
    does anyone know if driving on a hot day where tire temps are above ideal temp, driving on the grass would decrease the tire temp?
    to be exact i wonder if the grass/dirt part of the track has a seperate grid temp modifier.
    like the track is split up in alot of tiles and driving over a tile will increase its temp, waterlevel etc.
    now first of all, noone is driving there so temp should be pretty low, but additionally the dirt doesnt hold the heat from the sun like asphalt, u can burn your foot in the summer when walking barefoot on the road, but u can walk fine on the grass right next to it, there are even people cooking eggs on asphalt, cant do that on grass

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  12. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There will be some heat conduction between any two surfaces that are at different temperatures and in contact with each other. The magnitude of the heat flux will depend on the delta between the two temperatures, the thermal conductivity, and the area of the contact patch. The thermal conductivity of a grassy surface is actually higher than asphalt, so I would suspect the "cooling-down" effect of driving on grass is higher than when driving on asphalt:

TABLE 1 . Thermal and radiative properties of different ground materials.

13. Andre Ramoni

Andre Ramoni Member AMS2 Club Member

They need to improve urgently, the slick tire is riding in wet conditions better than the inter/wet, so much so that the inter tires are useless, they heat up in a light rain with a wet track as I show in the video, and the AI went to the box and they put on the wet ones, they were faster than me in inter and slower than me in slick in the rain, the video was used in light rain.

• Informative Informative x 2