1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bouncing?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Elcid43, May 7, 2022.

1. Elcid43

Elcid43 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello everyone,

I know that a lot are not bothered by the cockpit/horizon movement but evidently many are. Even on legacy I find it to be too much. Will there ever be an option to lock the cockpit and horizon? Haven't played the game in months and just tried to new F1 car and I really like it but I just can't deal with the movement. If this is something that can't or won't be done I guess I will just uninstall sadly.

Thanks

2. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

what are ur legacy settings at? for me it works liek lock to horizon

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Elcid43

I am not at the PC right now but can you give me yours so I can try it out? I just don't want any movement at all

4. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Legacy Head Movement 1 and Head Movement 100 is as close to Lock to Horizon as you can get. From what I can tell, it is full lock to horizon: Horizon remains in the middle of the screen no matter the pitch angle of your car, and the horizon remains level no matter the roll angle (does not tilt in relation to your floor in real life).

However, what some players perceive as bounciness is a kind of stutter that occurs laterally in the horizon when tires slip and re-grip in a rapid cycle through a corner. To witness the effect, drive a fast car with high profile tires and high downforce that hasn't received the recent tire carcass changes that came in version 1.3.6, e.g. drive the Formula V10 Gen2 around Oulton Park Classic. Then try driving the same track with a car that has had the recent tire carcass changes, e.g. Formula Ultimate 2019 at Oulton Park Classic. The latter will feel like it has less camera shake, but the difference (compared to previous versions with old tire physics) is the lack of apparent tire slip/re-grip and how that contributes to the smoothness of the lateral horizon movement.

In other words, further "bounce reduction" is likely to come from physics/setup changes to the cars, not from changes to the camera itself.

There is room for improvement when it comes to camera smoothing, but I'm not sure how effective it will be: The idea is to add a low-pass filter to the yaw axis. The drawback is that then the car will appear to rotate in the yaw axis separate from the player head orientation, until the player head "catches up" and aligns itself with the car. Think of it sort of like an opposite effect of Look To Apex. I don't think I've ever seen a racing game that does this, though? And no clue if it might actually induce more motion sickness than having no yaw axis smoothing at all.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  5. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It is not possible to lock both the horizon and the cockpit, unless you are driving a hovercraft. Legacy mode and head movement 0 locks the cockpit in place, head movement 100 locks the horizon in place. Pick your poison.

6. Elcid43

I appreciate the reply. I am used to the way AC and rF2 are and I just don't like the way it is in AMS2. Guess it's the end of the road for me.

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  7. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you have a way to enable Lock To Horizon in rF2, I'd love to learn how, since the current implementation doesn't work well with my motion platform.

rF2 has "stabilize horizon", but it's not the same as in AC and AMS2 - in rF2 the horizon still moves up and down when going up or down hills instead of staying level.

8. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Your choice. But it only takes a quick comparison video to see how tame and unrealistic the default cameras in something like AC really are:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Elcid43

With respect, to me the camera in AMS2 isn't realistic. My eyes aren't fixed to the cockpit like a camera, they can move independantly. Perhaps what I am actually hoping for is much LESS overall movement...at least the option to adjust it how some would like it.

I am not asking to argue or be difficult but I just don't care for the movement. It seems that I am not alone and hopefully, at some point, it can be something that will be accomodated. If it's something that can be done, then why not make us happy too?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Elcid43

I am using the wrong terms, sorry for causing confusion.

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Oh man i wish AMS2 620R sounded like that! Also appears to drive more planted, maybe the new carcass (if it gets it) will help.

It would be sweet to get FOS in AMS2 :whistle:

• Like Like x 4
  12. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Give "Legacy - Off" and "Head Movement 100" a try. This is fully detached cockpit from the head.

"Legacy - Off" focusses on "straight horizon"
    "Legacy - On" focusses on the planets horizon, which also means the cockpit will tilt at up/downwards slopes.

With G-Force effect sliders you control the movement related to how the car moves on track. Maybe the vertical and lateral sliders help in particular here. The longitudinal slider applies for braking and acceleration influence.

13. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

what i noticed in the previous days at long beach, is that sadly only the cockpit camera makes use of the "head movement" settings, all the others are unfortunately glued to the car.

i mostly drive roof camera on flatscreen, but i really cant on tracks like that, a lil de-bounce is required on such tracks, my workaround is using the cockpit camera and then moving it all the way up to the roof, in most cars its a bit offsets to one side (if not a single seater) but better than nothing

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mansell

mansell Member

driving the bonnet cam in AMS2 is a pain for me. IMO a flashing epilepsy warning in big capital red letters should appear every time you change from cockpit camera to other views. :p
    only workaround i found to somewhat control the bonnet camera is to chose the cockpit cam, setting it properly and then convert it to "bonnet" cam using camera positioning. its not the best solution but its all you can do actually.
    i dont know if reiza can not do or dont want to do anything about it but many people report camera bounciness loooong time ago and all they got was some "its a sim, cars IRL bounce like this" etc and after that this legacy setting that seems to work for cockpit view only...

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  15. Ref 35

Ref 35 L U H G

Whether there is too much movement in AMS2 or not, the video shows how ridiculously smooth AC is !

16. mansell

mansell Member

not really

it actually shows how smooth/unrealistic is the tarmac of that goodwood FoS track mod

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Ref 35

Ref 35 L U H G

Fair point mate, I didn't stop to think about the quality of the track. :)

• Like Like x 1