1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Take all my data Mark, I don't care :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. jimortality

jimortality Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Although I don't use vr,I use trackir and wondered a couple of things firstly does it matter whether I load the game in steam vr or occulus vr also what is legacy mode and does it affect trackir. Thanks

3. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have 2 questions:

1) Is it normal that I have frame time of more than 40 (measured in Oculus Tray Tool with performance HUD)? It seems quite high! I read somewhere that frametime should be around 10 to be fluid. I have more than 40 but it still feels very fluid!? I have Quest 2 running on a RTX3090 with Link cable. In Oculus app I have set 72 hz and resolution to 100% (auto; default) which is still (by far) not the max resolution of the Quest 2.
    With this I get fluid 72 FPS although frametime is high!?

2) Is it normal too that with these settings on my rig I still can’t hold the 72 FPS with full grid and rain and very high graphics settings without dropping to 36 FPS (seems AWS being active)? Although I don’t use max resolution of headset and only the lowest refresh rate of 72? Only in dry settings I get fluid 72 FPS…

4. Stefan Denninger

Stefan Denninger New Member

I tried to run AMS2 today withe the fsr-mod by fholger. Got a bug screen…
    Yesterday everything was fine.

5. Shpalman

Shpalman Member AMS2 Club Member

6. LooseyMoosey

LooseyMoosey Member

Yeah, headlights completely tank VR performance. Hopefully Reiza can fix this one day.

Try running a wet race in a class with no headlights (formula etc). You'll find performance improves immensely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman Member

1) Frametime is measured in ms, so 40ms = 1000/40 = 25fps. If you want 72fps you will need 1000/72 = 13.9ms frametime. Set up your graphics so you always stay below 14ms. Always.

2) Yes this is normal. But I have the same system (10900K+3090) and can run at 80fps 99% of the time (12.3ms or lower). 90fps gives issues due to driver/power issues which nVidia just can't seem to solve. Again, set up the graphics so you don't exceed 14ms. This means turning down a number of settings to a level that you feel are way too low for a 3090. Believe me I know how it feels.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike1304

Thank you, but how can it be that my frametime is so high and still I have 72 FPS? At least the green graph-line in tray tool performance HUB shows constant 72 hz?!

9. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

One or the other is reporting incorrectly. As Remco has already explained if your frame time average is 40ms then you have 25 frames per second. If your FPS is 72 then frame times must be 13.9ms average. It is impossible to have 40 ms frame time average and 72 FPS - because of arithmetic. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mike1304

Yes, thank you. I understand your maths, but I don't understand the figures on my HUD :D.
    Maybe my value of more than 40 is not frametime? I just had a quick look at the HUD and it reads "App Motion-to-Photon Latency" and the value is written in "ms" (miliseconds). That's why I thought it would mean "frameTIME"?! Is it not? The green graph-line is named "App Frame rate (Hz)" and it shows constant 72...

11. Gagaryn

Motion to photon latency is the time difference between you moving in real life and the screen updating to show you the correct view. It is not frame time.

12. Gagaryn

13. Mike1304

Thanx, that explains it. So 40 is a good value then for photon latency?

14. Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman Member

I don't think it means anything in a practical sense.

15. Stefan Denninger

Hi all! Since yesterday i got some new problems in VR…

1. VRfps not working
    2. VRperfkit and openvrfsr dont do any changes considering performance. It just doenst matter if its installed or not - can anyone help?

i already uninstalled and reinstalled everything. I tried betas of wmr and steamvr - still no changes.

im running a 12700kf, 3080 12gb an 32gig ram.

can anyone give me a hint why the fsr-mod and the veperfkit wont work on my system? Oh, and the vrfps-app…

thanks alot,
    Stefan

16. Stefan Denninger

17. WingmanBOT

WingmanBOT New Member

Same for me - no difference at all (Reverb G2). I don't think its working as there was no change in sharpness which I would expect.

Finding VR in AMS2 very frustrating now as the last few updates have decreased performance to the point where I am spending more time tweaking then driving. Constantly lowering settings now to hit 90FPS where as couple of months ago, it was solid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Stefan Denninger

At least you can still measure your fps. My FPSvr isnt running anymore. And in the Steamvr start menu i dont find the wmr-button any longer. I used to click that to change the reprojection settings but its no longer available for me. Very frustrating!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman Member

THIS

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

It doesn't work for AMS 2. The only effect are the changed resolution which you do not need that app for.
    This one are the only one that works for AMS 2 / PC 2:
    FSR for OpenVR

Then there are the OpenComposite that changes OpenVR into OpenXR for now it just works but you can't use it with OpenXR tool kit so it's value are limited for now.

Next update of OpenXR Toolkit should fix that so people with WMR and Oculus headsets will see a sustainable improvement in both frame time and overall smoothness
    The next update are planed for this month according to info from the dev on Discord.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1