Should faster drivers qualify?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Professionalsimracing.com, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Innocent question. I see so many videos of fast drivers starting from the back in online races only to make their way all the way to the front. Is this considered bad etiquette? Why or why not?

2. Sam Smith

Sam Smith Member AMS2 Club Member

I know the one your talking about ;). I would say if he was to drive like that in a serious race there would be hell to pay.
    It was a reverse grid second race on a casual race day, so it was to be expected that there would be some crazy moves.
    Buuuut in general (without sounding like a stick in the mud) most fast people don't treat backmarkers the way they should. They should be treated no different to a corner or a piece of tarmac with marble build up. They are part of the race and shouldn't be complained about when they don't get out of the way quite as quickly as the faster guy might have hoped. All part of the fun if you ask me.
    Back on point though. We have a quick guy in our group at racedepartment who loves the challenge of getting to the front. I've probably done over 25 races with him and never once has there been a point where he didn't size up the perfect moment to pass me cleanly and without losing him too much time in the process. He also rarely complains about any of the slower guys only really offers advice to them. That's how it should be done if you ask me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Sam Smith

You got it :p

4. Tim O'Glock

Tim O'Glock Active Member AMS2 Club Member

So you were talking about me?

5. Sam Smith

Never haha :D

6. Tim O'Glock

You are obviously confusing me with someone else because I didn't make a single "crazy move" in any of the races.
    Also, I've never complained about any of the slower guys which is what you are implying.

7. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Tim. A bit off topic but can I ask what wheel & pedals you use?

8. Sam Smith

No that statement about complaining wasnt related to you.
    But come on there was some crazy diving though traffic to get to through the pack. If I show you my replay you would see some of the silly moves I tried to pull and you could call me on it :)

9. Tim O'Glock

There was no crazy driving. Stop repeating that nonsense. Here are some of my videos the OP was referring to:
    youtu.be/siGsj9TwEUA
    youtu.be/zF2tS7eIIOU
    youtu.be/f8CVnLwucoU
    Overall I overtook around 60-70 cars in these videos while making contact with other cars only twice. There are no dive bombs, no running other people off the road and no bumping.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm an extremely safe and considerate driver. I start at the back and stay there. :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Sam Smith

No worries Ferdinand, I've seen your videos I'm subscribed to your channel. Apologies if you feel I've attacked you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Faster guys coming through is fair enough as long as they respect the other people in the field. I've watch those @Tim O'Glock videos and he pretty well always passes people based on better corner exit speed which if you have the skillz is the way to do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sam Smith

What kevin said

14. Tim O'Glock

Finally, I would like to come back to the original question. When I decide to start a race from the back it is never to annoy people or to show off. I occasionally do it because driving the entire race alone is boring, irrespective of whether you are first or last. I believe within the context of a casual club race it is not considered bad etiquette.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Makes sense. Thanks, guys. FWIW, had nothing to do with any particular race. I don't believed I've ever even raced with Tim.

16. Le_Poilu

Le_Poilu Member AMS2 Club Member

I asked myself about the same thing during public races or open race from some leagues I follow.
    On public 'pick up" race it never bother me as long as the one who does it are respectful in their move against slowest driver.

But one time it pissed me off a little while a driver I know for having the same skill as me and other driver in front of the grid did this.
    I found it a little bit disrespectful for the ones like me who want to fight in the front of the grid.
    He knew he could have a tight and fair fight in the front, but decided to completely avoid qualify (he was running it but slow down or stopped before the start/finish line each quick laps, to avoid register a quick lap).

I totally understand and agree on this: If you see that you'll be much faster than any other driver in the grid at least you'll be able to make a race and not only some hotlaps..
    But If you know that their are some drivers that can fight with you, I'm sur you'll prefer to go with them, and they will prefer this to, for sure.

17. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think it would be nice if drivers, not qualified, would start from the pit,

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vitor

Vitor Member AMS2 Club Member

I would prefer to have reverse grids to make the race interesting to the faster guys (or girls)

19. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

My experience is that the "faster" guys in qualy often crash in the race, For me it doesn't matter where they start as long as they qualify.
    I avoid one to one battles because they only slow you down, so when i see a "faster" driver, i just let them pass, and pass them when they are crashed a bit later.

• Funny Funny x 1