1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTH just happened?! Game broken G29?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by TekNeil, May 8, 2022.

1. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

So I was (Still am) running a dedicated server (Caterham Academy at Oulton Classic), default setups.

Upon leaving the pits, I remembered I had to calibrate my pedals because EVERY SINGLE TIME I play AMS2, the brakes are always the most sensitive thing on the planet until I calibrate them several times.

So I stopped on track, returned to pits and my wheel suddenly made a loud 'Crack', then started slowly turning left. It sounded like a jolt but I wasn't exactly looking at it at the time.
    I re-centered it which now feels/sounds very grindy/notchy, grabbed my phone and recorded. My wheel now feels knackered. WTF happened?! :mad:

2. Peter Nielsen

Peter Nielsen New Member

My CSL elite ps4 has done something like this (among other quirks) since AMS2 1.0 release. I have no idea if I found the "true" cause, but I started unplugging other USB devices from my ports, as the motherboard im using can not handle power draw from all USB ports at a time. Since then, no problems, so you might try it out and see if it helps?

3. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

I'd be happy if that would help, but there's something definitely broken mechanically. It's knackered and was perfectly fine until I pitted. When I turn it now, if sounds horrid (Very grindy), makes a big 'Crack' noise at random places, and it tends to get stuck at 90deg half the time.

I'd like somebody working at Reiza to message me about this. It looks like others are having pitting issues as well, although without ending up with damaged wheels like myself.

Edit: Still no response from anybody at REIZA. Though not surprising...

I'm not just going to let this slide obviously. I know it's only a few hundred quids worth of 'Toy' but I was brought up to respect property no matter what the value, if I broke somebody's 'x' worth a fiver, I'd replace it, or at least want to.

Just how violent could a FFB issue on a lowly G29 be right?

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  4. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If all G series wheels had same response, I would say maybe it's the game, BUT not all do, so it sounds more like your particular wheel. My G920 has never had any issues with AMS2 at any level or revisions.
    Probably more related to a driver, a setting, a defective wheel, a calibration, a MS issue, or some USB port or HUB issue.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Member AMS2 Club Member

There is something going on with the FFB in AMS2. My friend who has a DD wheel had something similar happened to him when we raced and hurt him really bad, if it would hit him at a different angle it could probably break him thumb.

Other bugs may be game breaking, sure we hate them too, but this is straight up dangerous and should be looked at ASAP.

Sure, you can say it's the user responsibility and I partly agree. You have to be aware to remove you hand from the wheel when you see the avoidable accident coming etc. But this was happening for no reason, mid race, so there was no way for him knowing there was strong jolts coming his way.

6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There is nothing similar happening between a G29 and a DD wheel. The level of forces is an order of magnitude smaller. It is almost impossible for anyone to injure themselves with a G29, 2 Nm simply isn't enough force to either break the wheel or injure the user.

It appears TekNeil's G29 broke while he was playing AMS2. That sucks, but one anecdote is not proof of anything. I've never experienced the bug Austin found either, and it certainly doesn't look like anything that would break a G29. The thing is built like a tank. Anyone playing AC or rFactor 2 will regularly experience much more jolting like that and no one is reporting those games breaking their G29 either.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

@TekNeil doesn't works with other games?
    Can you describe what is happening and what are the wheel issues (weird sounds, not centering anymore or sorta).
    I would suggest you to backup your AMS2 folder on documents one and start with a fresh profile, be sure you have the latest drivers for your wheel.

If I am right the g29 family doesn't have a plastic encoder anymore (hall sensor probably) so it seems the wheel is clipping badly at least

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  8. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

It looks more like either the plastic cog guide at the top (inside the hull) slipped/broke and the encoder now thinks the center point is somewhere way to the left

or

Maybe the motor pulling the wheel to the right died as they balance eachother out when centered.

Since the wheel has a 900° rotation it can't infinitely spin. The encoder bases its position according to the center of the wheel's rotation so the former seems more likely to me. I don't believe AMS2 is to be faulted here as it could've been any sim since those G wheels are running max forces quite a lot, rattle quite a lot and put a lot of strain on the cog and guide quite often. It is very much possible it was simply wear and tear. No way to know more without opening the base.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Time to upgrade <3