1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too much lift off oversteer?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by LugNut, May 8, 2022.

1. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,

Since the last big update I can't use the gt3 merc in mp because after the first lap, the lift off oversteer would result in an unrecorvable spin. So, I started using the McLaren. NP.

Since the last mini update, now the McLaren is doing it. Unraceable for me.

I've deleted tuning setups......do I need to do more?

1 lap is OK.....default setup. After that its just a matter of time. And, guys that I normally beat, don't have this problem it seems.

Heeeeeelllllllppppp!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

McLaren 720S likes to build up rear tire heat, which causes the oversteer, especially on hotter track temps.

It's still pacey but it is indeed more punishing to do so now.

Give the tires some time to relax after a full push, use more TC, more front biased brakes/rear brake cooling and more wing and you might also increase diff preload and decrease rear stiffness.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    Tgx for the response.
    Wasn't the McLaren always like that? Rear tire heat? Been racing it awhile.
    And the merc ......one day it was fine...then I couldn't do 3 laps w/o spinning.
    I'm thinking some things fkn wrong. Something like this has happened to me b4. I was the only one...it seemed... That was down 100 HP or so when lobbies had more than 18 ppl.
    Tried everything....even reinstalll...no go. Then one day...boom back to normal.

This is really fkn frustrating. Sorry.

4. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro You must first finish AMS2 Club Member

What Crimson said. Tad bit of front BB and heavier cooling of rear brakes tends to cure those issues for me. Whenever I see the tire temperature deltas climbing closer to 10°C between front and rear, my rears get very squirrelly. Getting those temps closer really helps.

5. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the response.
    I'm mainly talking about default setup. In mp there are many lobbies w default setups.
    And, I thought that when tires are green then temps should be OK. Am I wrong in thinking that?

6. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro You must first finish AMS2 Club Member

Hi,

I learned about the importance of temperature differentials for grip after reading this post from @Ettore. Not just keeping the tires “in the green zone”, but also ensuring there is not much difference in their respective temps. After I started monitoring them more closely, cornering has become a lot more predictable for me. BB and brake cooling are simple tools you can use, but in the absence of a way to set them up you might need to adjust the brake pressure, or check if you are locking your tires too much.

Understanding tire (tyre) pressures

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I've been using the McLaren GT3 for a while, even using my custom setup it feels like after the latest update it slides more even with TC and it's less stable under braking even with ABS. In my last race I struggled the entire race time to keep the car on track.

Obviously part of the problem is the AMS2 controller filters that cause input delay, but some of the changes made the game less fun to drive for me That's why atm I prefer to drive GT3's in ACC, I've been doing races with the same car/track combos in both games and in ACC cars feel more intuitive and predictable.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

Yeah @LugNut , your not alone, McLaren has always been slippery but even more for me after the update, on Redbull ring nothing I can do to stop the rear from sliding. Made me question my self... Still don't know if it's me or the car.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CrimsonEminence

Just a heads-up that the 720S will receive another pass to make it a bit more user-friendly with its characteristic. :) (It will still heat its rears quicker than the fronts but mitigating the resulting loops is possible)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,

Sweeter words were never spoken Crimson! And maybe take a look at the merc also? It was where I first encountered this phenomenon about 2 months ago. Tho it doesnt seem like everybody experiences it.. The merc used to be my fav gt3.
    Thank you for your interest and effort.

Edit @Enagee ...thx for your input. And dam that's a nice rig u have in your SIG. And I'm sitting here with my DrivingForcePro on my lap:) ^^

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  11. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can't really I say I've noticed any of the things complained here. I can drive the 720S without TC or ABS just fine and the temps remain in check. Many online lobbies seem to love using clear weather in the middle of summer (causing 50 C track temps) and fixed setups, maybe that causes it? Or people are driving with a controller and scrubbing the hell out of their tyres.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. CrimsonEminence

Most of the issues of the 720S are noticeable right now, when you give it a good push at Donington. After 3-4 Laps you might discover some interesting behaviour through the hairpins. ;)

Anyway, the car will not loop as easily after the next pass.

Some characteristics are still also driver input though. Don't expect the GT3 cars to be as planted as they were before. But they will also not drop-off a cliff anymore like they did before the tire revision.

Don't be afraid to add some wing, change TC levels or softening the rear suspensions. The simulation is highly condition, weather and atmosphere dependent and this doesn't mean just wet or dry but temperatures, barometric pressure at altitude, cloud coverage and even rubber state and dirt on track.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,

Thank God its not just me:)
    When the issue first raised its head I:
    More front BB
    Opened brake vents to 100
    Reduced coast rear end
    Softened rear an
    More wing
    Didn't really help:)
    The thing is w default setup its now a 5 wing so in those lobbies that are default only my issue is magnified.
    And,lastly, my issue happens with no brake input....just push a hair in a sweeper and its start to rotate ..a lil counter steer minimal throttle input....facing backwards.
    You know, I used to drive the merc a lot with no tc or abs to avoid the"unmanageable spin"
    But 2 updates ago even that stopped working for me. So I went to the McLaren until.....well you know:)

14. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It's the controller people. Look at his video. He's using a controller. I really wish they wouldn't tame the cars for the controller crowd, but it is what it is.

15. CrimsonEminence

The 720S is looping also for wheel people. This has nothing to do with controller.

16. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

How much engine braking did you have/set? I found that I spun the car due to the level of engine braking. So I set it to 0 and didn't spin (and then tried to increase it to a level that was good to me).

17. CrimsonEminence

Engine brake map setting is causing higher engine braking with lower number.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

:confused: What's the logic behind these settings? Engine braking 0 is full and engine brake level 10 (?) is no engine braking? :confused:.

19. CrimsonEminence

Yeah, it's not "engine braking" (well it is) but the "engine brake map setting" you may know from ISImotor titles already. Reversing the method how it's applied would require substantial changes to the game behind the curtain so for now it is indeed not the most intuitive but 0 is highest.

Please read the help text in the setup menu for more details.

20. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

The logic is that instead of the setting increasing engine braking the higher the value, it is increasing the amount of throttle opening (when off-throttle) the higher the value. This means 0 lets the throttle opening completely close, thus giving maximum engine braking and 9 gives a high amount of throttle opening, thus minimising engine braking.

It's not incorrect per se but it can be confusing if you think the setting is about engine braking instead of throttle opening.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1