1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too much lift off oversteer?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by LugNut, May 8, 2022.

1. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

and for many other BMWs in general afaik

• Like Like x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The BMWs have a really good punch, that builds up already in low RPM but falls at higher RPM early, you also shouldn't shift too late to not fall into the trap of getting a wrong picture by the capabilities of the engine (watch HP and Nm in telemetry HUD, you probably see, what i mean).

When getting the throttle control right, you can basically use that "squeezing" to generate some slight power-on oversteer to rotate the car out of corners.
    Yeah, agree... the M4 GT4 aswell. "They're punchy" is always the wording that comes into my mind for especially the modern BMW cars.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Had a drive of the 720s to see what all the hullabaloo is about and it drives fine and turns in for me, don't see any problems with it

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi f1...was this in mp or sp?
    Thanks

5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just did a test session at Imola with it

6. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,

That's what I thought. I have 0 problem in TT either. Well, I'm too slow, but that's another story:)
    Thx.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just wanted to give some feedback as the discussion made me curious. I tested the McLaren yesterday online and I must say there was nothing wrong with the tyres or with the handling in general. It just undesteered a bit too much for my liking but that's not the issue raised here, I guess.

8. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It certainly will feel like its understeering, but its for a purpose. For a default it generally has a smidgen more stiffness bias to the front (than what you would have in other cars) in order to keep the rear tire temps in check and therefore keep it a bit more predictable.

If not understeering, it has the natural ability to OS and cook the rear tires rather easily which is a very slippery slope. And it is very track dependent as well.

If after a few laps the front and rear tires on the left side (clockwise track) or right side (counterclockwise track) are within around 5c, its pretty balanced. More heat to the front tire indicates a hint of US, more heat to the rear tire indicates OS. (overall through the course of a lap)

If your front tire is 5c+ hotter than the same side rears, you may want to consider some type of adjustment that induces a touch of OS. It could be a simple arb change (if it is struggling at low speed) or adding rear ride height (if its struggling at high speed) or damper adjustments.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't usually comment on these types of things as I just enjoy driving and seeing/feeling things for myself. But something interesting was said today at the Spanish GP in FP1 which reminded me of this thread and lines up more or less in AMS2

Drivers are complaining about oversteer by the end of a single lap. It was then discussed that in the 1st sector there is no oversteer and the car is preforming as it should. By the 2nd sector the rears start to heat up and then by the 3rd sector the rears have heated up so much it’s creating oversteer.

This is happening in one single lap and not over the course of a few laps because of the heat and the circuit layout itself.

I just thought it was interesting and lines up with what others have said in this thread.

tires… tires…. tires…

• Informative Informative x 1