1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Version: V.1.3.6.0 (release candidate)
    Car:All
    Track: Various
    AI Strength: 100 (both custom AI and default)
    AI Aggression: 50

- when overtaking on the inside before corners, actually being in front, AI on the outside still steers into corner as if player was not there, forcing it's way through by ramming player's car.

- AI achieve same laptimes in race as in qualifying

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3.6.0 (release candidate)
    Car: Various - possibly all
    Track: Various - possibly all
    Session Distance: various distances with compulsory pit-stop
    Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    Player Tyre: dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race - pit-stops

The AI lose quite a lot of unnecessary time when making their pit-stops. If I'm at the back of a few AI cars all making pit-stops at the same time, after we cross the speed-limit marker, I often overtake (ghost through) the AI cars ahead of me because they are going slower than they can, particularly as they approach their stall, they just seem to amble in as if going to park at the supermarket, showing no urgency.

And on pit exit, after they cross the speed limit line, they often dilly-dally and take quite a while to get up to full speed, so again, I often ghost through them and easily accelerate away from them.

They probably lose around 5 seconds or more at pit stops just by not driving as fast as they should.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3.6.1
    Car: Brazilian Stock Cars (modern) / Porsche Cup / possibly others
    Track: Donington (revised AI paths)
    Corners: T2 and T4
    Session Distance: 14 laps
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): quali and race

At T2 (the gentle right-hand bend going down the hill), the AI lift off the throttle half-way down the hill - it can easily be taken flat out in these cars.

At T4 (The Old Hairpin), they are too slow to get back on the throttle, often waiting until they are fully straightened up on corner exit when they should be hitting it as they go through the apex.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. TVWYK

TVWYK New Member

Version: V.1.3.6.1
    Car: DPi / possibly others
    Track: Any Track
    Corners: Any
    AI Strength: 100
    Session Distance: Any Distance
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): quali and race

After the 1.3.6.1 update Ai seens to be very slow. I normally race them on 100 - 105 strenght for a challenge. Now, even if I go to MAX AI strenght (120) I still pass them easily. They are very slow out of the corners and don't reach top speed on the straights.

I noticed this on almost any track using the DPi. Have not tested other cars extensively but the DPi seems to be very bad. GT3 and Stock Car 2022 seem slower as well, but not as bad as the DPi. Mike from Sim Racing 604 also noted this in his youtube video look at this release.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Apex

Apex Active Member

To me they seem rather slow uphill through Subida dos Boxes as well, but the Curva 2 exit is obviously off as this is really the place everyone should go at full whack and not stop to think what to do next. Strangely the track works really well with the Retro Gen2 cars.

6. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Version: 1.3.6.2
    Car: McLaren GT4
    Track: Jerez Chicane
    AI Settings: 107/50 (with custom AI)
    Distance: 35 laps (w/ 1 pit stop)
    Weather: Dry

I won the race and was 1:40 ahead of the 5th place car (I generally try to set the AI so I have good racing in the top 10, but winning is pretty unusual, so that's what I'm comparing to 5th).

I think by the rule of thumb that one point of AI is worth two-tenths per lap under 100 and one-tenth over 100, I would have needed to set the AI at about 135 to have had a good race here.

This is the first GT4 race I've done post tire update, so I'm not sure if it's just this track or the entire class that needs a major AI recalibration.

7. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Overtaking behaviour of AI:

As the AI has problems with overtaking each others on the inside before corners, they can do so when payer is involved in the manoeuvre.

Example: Player is in P3 and attacks AI in P2 and P1 who are doing their "train thing" (going behind each other for ages without overtaking). At the end of a long straight, player overtakes both cars at once on the inside, as they are so close behind each other. In this case, it happens very often that the second AI (which was first to be overtaken by player) also does a clean overtake on the inside in order to follow the player, so he ends up in P2 again instead of P3. Have observed this behaviour very often. Would be nice if the AI could also act like that more often when human player is not involved.

8. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Car: Porsche GTE
    Track: Road America
    AI Settings: 100/50 (default AI)
    Distance: 20 laps
    Weather: Cloudy->Rain->Cloudy->Sunny
    Other Settings: Fueling not allowed; tire wear 1x. Daytime w/ no time acceleration

With the dry->wet->dry sequence, one needs to make two stops to switch to wets and then back to drys. However, 13 of the 26 AI cars made three stops. Not sure when or why the extra stop happened?

9. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro You must first finish AMS2 Club Member

Car: Porsche GT3R
    Track: Nurburgring 24 hours
    AI Settings: 100/60 (default AI)
    Distance: 40 laps
    Weather: Cloudy->Sunny
    Other Settings: Fueling allowed; tirewear 1x. Time acceleration 5x

AI co-driver is terribly slow. Slower than other AI. Drove first stint then passed car to AI. I was leading all other cars by 58 seconds. After AI completed the 3 remaining stints, it was down to 21st place.

The expectation is the AI co-driver pace should be on par with other AI. So while I did not expect it to keep first place, dropping 21 positions despite having a 1 minute lead tells me there is something really wrong with it.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Kaneda06

Kaneda06 New Member

All kart and all superkart with all tracks

One year AI are broken i understand they have lot of works but 1 year :/

11. RDG

RDG Active Member

Version: V.1.3.6.2
    Car: DPI
    Track: Daytona & Spa (possibly others, haven't checked)
    AI Type: Default
    AI Aggression: 100
    Weather when the issue was observed: Dry

It seems like the DPI AI wasn't updated to the new tyre. On 100 they're a good 3-4s a lap slower than me and I'm in no way fast (2:02s at Spa). I still beat them by over a second at 120 AI.

12. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3.5.2
    Car: All prototype, many open wheelers
    Track: Any
    AI Strength: Any
    AI Aggression: Any
    Type of session when the issue was observed: Race

The AI opponents spin way too easily when you tap them from behind in many of the faster classes (P1, FRetro etc.). The slightest nudge will send them spinning like a top while the player can just drive right through. It's totally exploitable and ruins the immersion.

13. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This I find appalling, as it's been that way since day one. Take the fun out of the game. Are we heading toward online exclusive? Should I race AI above 100? I've been away from simming for about two years, so AI is set 92-95, aggression 50.

14. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Does anybody have trouble with AI being too fast at Oulton Park International?
    With GT3 & GT4 I can run against AI at 100 and have similar lap times to them, but at Oulton Park with AI at 100 I'm doing 1:38 on a McLaren GT3 while AI GT3s are doing 1:35, in the McLaren GT4 I'm doing 1:45 while AI GT4s are doing 1:43 (1:44 if I lower difficulty to 95).
    I'm not an expert at this track and the built-in controller filters that cause input lag don't help, but I find it odd to have such a big difference in laptimes between me & AI while in every other track I've played so far I have similar laptimes with AI at 100.

15. SwaggerJacker

Also, AI still seem to have warm tires at race start. Their grip is insane. Also, since day one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3.7.0
    Car: Formula Reiza
    Track: Kyalami
    AI Strength: 105
    AI Aggression: Any
    Type of session when the issue was observed: Race

AI are too quick in Sunset Bend and out of the next corner, Clubhouse. Everything else seems well balanced, but these two corners irk me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JF Gagne

JF Gagne New Member

AI are always slower after pit stop.
    • Version: V.1.3.7.1
    • Car / Track used: All tracks of Stock Car Pro Series 2022
    • AI Strength setting: 110
    • AI Aggression setting: 50
    • Session Distance: 20 minutes
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Clear
    • Player Tyre: Hard Slick
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): ?
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race
    • Fuel: 3x
    • Tire Wear: 5x
    The AI always lose pace after the pit stop; between 1 and 2 seconds/lap. I setup the fuel usage to 3x to force me to add fuel during the pit stop. I start the race with 60L and add 60L mid race. I was thinking that maybe they get a full load of fuel during the pit stop but their pit stop time is similar to mine.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. SwaggerJacker

Well let's just dump this AI forum. At least until we get the quantum pc's, of course.

19. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3.7.1
    Car: SuperV8, Porsche Cup
    Track: Bathurst 2020
    AI Aggression: 65
    Type of session when the issue was observed: Practice

AI is slow on the mountain, especial from "The Cutting" to "Skyline"

Braking on the mountain.JPG

They brake more and early (light blue = AI)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Unster

Unster New Member

Sorry I didn't read through 39 pages of reports, but all I know is that I tried the game again last weekend and even at 100/100 the AI still slows down excessively before turns, making them easy to pass on the inside. This was on the Spielberg track, dry conditions. The AI still seems broken after all this time.