1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenComposite OpenXR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, May 15, 2022.

1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I've added support to OpenComposite OpenXR for AMS2 / PC2. This is tier one support, no need for special builds. Now available in latest release.

Couple of things:
    1) OpenXR Toolkit 1.1.0 is not compatible. New release of Toolkit is being beta tested that will be compatible. So for the moment if you are using the Toolkit disable it for AMS2 / PC2.
    2) You need an extra setting in the opencomposite.ini file (Create the file in steamapps\common\Automobilista 2\ might need to be in Automobilista 2\x64\ too):

admitUnknownProps=enabled

Download the latest release of OpenComposite OpenXR from here:

Files · openxr · Campbell Suter (ZNix) / OpenComposite · GitLab

I'm on holiday this week so won't be able to help with any issues that much this week. There is an OpenComposite discord where support is available too:
    Join the OpenComposite Discord Server!

Next version (1.1.1) of the OpenXR Toolkit will add support for AMS2 menus as they currently don't show. However next version it appears there is still an issue for FSR/NIS that if enabled stops the menus being shown. Fixed Foveated Rendering is working for some settings. To get FFR working you either need to use no MSAA or have it on High. On High only 1/2 and 1/16 work I think and 1/2 only works with orientation set to vertical (?). Best setup I found was MSAA High, FFR mid ring 1/2 40%, outer ring 1/16 75-80%. You can adjust the base resolution too through the Toolkit instead of using FSR/NIS.

But that is only going to work in the OpenXR Toolkit version 1.1.1

Toolkit link: Quickstart

Toolkit Discord: Join the OpenXR Toolkit / OpenComposite-ACC Discord Server!

Also, this won't fix the issues with car headlights tanking performance. Only Reiza can fix that.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 6
  2. Javier Pro

Javier Pro New Member

Hi, i have this message, pimax 5k
    upload_2022-5-17_19-36-23.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. patrick le

patrick le New Member AMS2 Club Member

Anybody else have success? I'm hoping to test this weekend or wait for OpenXR 1.1.1.

* Update looks like OpenXR 1.1.2 is already out!
    Quickstart

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  4. patrick le

Hey everyone - I tried OpenXR 1.1.2 + latest release of OpenComposite and it works great!! I was able to play with it for a few hours and here are my thoughts:

1. Menus in VR headset don't work for AMS2. You have to take off your headset to see the navigate the menus. Not great but definitely doable and worth it. Fixed with OpenComposite 1.1.3
    2. I followed the recommendation from @NuScorpii and went with the following settings:
    (Best setup I found was MSAA High, FFR mid ring 1/2 40%, outer ring 1/16 75-80%
    3. I have a RTX 3080 + G2 headset there is no need to turn on FSR. If upscaling is disabled (not running FSR) I get great improvements with FFR alone! With FSR disabled the menus/hud still work and I'm running races mostly locked in at 90fps. I'm running mostly high/med graphic settings. With no FSR - there is no more slight shimmering in the distance. There are some tracks and cars in which I had to lower the Resolution. That can be done in the OpenXR menu.
    4. I was mainly using OpenFSR 1.0 (following Davies guide here) but this mod is definitely more clear and provides better fps for me.

Thank you for all the hard work @NuScorpii and others. This is great for VR enthusiast!! This mod alone made me feel like I'm moving from my 3080 to 3090ti :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sims Alabim

Sims Alabim Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for sharing! I'm a bit lost on how to install this. Is it two separate downloads? I downloaded the OpenXr Toolkit, but i guess i need OpenComposite as well? Sorry, it's a bit confusing for my tiny brain :)

6. patrick le

Yea I originally thought OpenXR 1.1.1 would just work but you also need the latest release of OpenComposite OpenXR as well. Don't forget this step:

"2) You need an extra setting in the opencomposite.ini file (Create the file in steamapps\common\Automobilista 2\ might need to be in Automobilista 2\x64\ too):

admitUnknownProps=enabled"

I had to create the file "opencomposite.ini" with the line "admitUnknownProps=enabled"

7. Sims Alabim

I guess missed the instructions already mentioned by @NuScorpii Looking forward to trying this out! Thanks again :)

8. Sims Alabim

I guess i'm not getting it! So...Maybe somebody can help out :)
    1. 32 or 64 bit openvr.api ?
    2. I created a .txt file in both folders mentioned, and named it opencomposite.ini - is this correct?
    3. The line in the file should be "admitUnknownProps=enabled", or admitUnknownProps=enabled? (With or without " " )
    4. Do i start the game via Steam as usual..?
    5. Ehh..Does it work with amd 6900 xt?

9. MrTulip

MrTulip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

1. 64bit openvr_api.dll
    2. Correct. Opencomposite.ini under X64 directory was enough for me.
    3. Without hyphens.
    4. Yes, starting via Steam and selecing SteamVR when asked.
    5. Sorry, maybe not since AMS2 is not an DX12 game that would be a requirement with AMD XT 6000 series.
    • AMD RX 6000 series, with DX12 applications only.
    According to this developer's notes of OpenXR Toolkit: Quickstart

Edit: The developer mbucchia himself commented later that AMD limitation is only on the part of foveated rendering. Other features work. Link to the message: OpenComposite OpenXR

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  10. MrTulip

Menus seem to work for me when I have the game set to run in fullscreen. I just have to reset the VR orientation in the game with the button mapped to my wheel. This with OpenXR Toolkit 1.1.2.

• Like Like x 1
  11. patrick le

When you say "set to run in fullscreen" are we talking about fullscreen in AMS2 app or is that a OpenXR setting?

12. Sims Alabim

Thanks for clarifying! Much appreciated. I guess i will have to continue tweaking my life away. If Reiza would implement some kind of TT for tweaking VR-settings, i'd finally be in the top ten! For others with AMD XT 6000 cards, this guide by @Rob Davies is pretty helpful: AMS VR G2 Settings
    Happy tweaking!

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrTulip

Yes, fullscreen in AMS2 app settings.

14. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

Me too... sounds exciting though... what am I missing?

15. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

Ok, got it working... to avoid the error msg from previous, make sure you've got your WMR portal up and running first.

1st impressions are it's very good (using nuScorpi settings).... but since I can't use fpsVR with it it's very hard to make a direct comparison to the previous mod in terms of overall performance gains. Some notes:

- It 'feels' better , particularly when it comes to micro-stutters (or lack thereof!)
    - It looks as good as previous mod, if not slightly better at 85% upscaling.
    - Using the Post Processing, turning contrast down to 45 and reducing the red gain to 45 makes it much more natural IMO on the G2.
    - No menus for me either with full or windowed screen mode in-game.... makes it hard to see the green light in races too!

Quick Q - does this respect the Steam global and per-game SS settings? (the upscaling seems to be against native res (100%) - rather than the 150 I had currently in per-app in Steam)

Happy playing!

• Like Like x 1
  16. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It doesn't look at the SteamVR SS settings at all - it uses either what's in your OpenXR Dev Tools or any override you've set using OpenXR Toolkit.
    Menus/Hud won't show if you've enabled FSR or NIS in the toolkit, regardless of windowed/full screen.
    vrperfkit won't work at all, but I was able to get the original FSR mod running with OC & Toolkit, but it's very picky with the resolution you use in the toolkit. The FSR mod rounds numbers during downscale/upscale, so for most resolutions the output from the FSR mod won't match what OC is expecting.
    It does seem to work ok if you set the resolution in the OpenXR dev tools though, so you should be able to set that to 150% and be able to compare like for like with SteamVR. Note, it only seems to work if render scale is 0.5, 0.75 or 1.0. Again, likely due to rounding issues.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Member

Damn. Was looking forward to trying this out but the motion compensation I use for my rig requires steam vr running. Back to FSR for me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shpalman

Shpalman Member AMS2 Club Member

works really well for me with my vive pro 2 that requires steamvr running

19. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Member

So you’re still running steamvr as well? I need to run ovrmc for motion compensation of my motion rig and that only works with steamvr.

20. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If you set SteamVR as your OpenXR runtime, it'll 'work', but you're not likely to get any benefit witha WMR headset; in fact you could make things worse. From the OpenXR toolkit discord:
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1