1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamepad Support - Analysis, Suggestions, Wishes

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GTAce, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Yerffej

Yerffej Member

Even though I can play with the controller and i really do enjoy this game, best driving game i have ever played if truth be told, I do find it quite frustrating at times, and i know people will say, buy a Wheel, and they are totally right, but I have unlimited space and honestly with the cost of living shooting up, I just couldn't justify buying a wheel even if I did have room
    Hopefully Reiza will give the Controller some love in the future. Fingers crossed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I've been posting videos in my Youtube channel of me doing races against AI in AMS2 using Xbox 360 controller. I can kind of get used to AMS2 controls after a lot of practice laps but it's far from the good controller support we had in AMS1 and nowhere near as fun to play as games with good controller support such as AMS1, R3E, and ACC.
    I live in Brazil, even a basic wheel & pedals like a G29 is very expensive in here (equivalent of 2 months on minimum wage salary) and I live in a small apartment so atm buying a wheel is not an option for me.
    I'd love to know when Reiza will fulfill their promise to make controller support in AMS2 as good as it was in AMS1.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

That's exactly it! I love R3E, it's really like driving a car. The problem is rF2 and AMS1 are amazing too. Then you try AMS2 and everything's gone. I have some faith in AMS2 but currently the game is dead to me.

GT7 is sim-like but still very precise and much better than AMS2. It's not like GTS arcade, it really feels finally like sim-like stuff. If all good game will be gone, I would like AMS2 too, it's still tuned PC2. Current situation is rather bad for AMS2, almost everything is better. LOL, even last rF2 DLC for 32 euro is better.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm still not a fan of R3E but I decided to give it a try with a controller after reading these past few comments and I can say that I 100% agree with you.

I am not at all a controller user, so I'm not sure if that makes me a good or bad reviewer lol. However, with the default R3E settings (with a slight deadzone adjustment), I had no problems with handling the cars. Granted, I set it to Automatic and had ABS, TC and Stability Control enabled. I then did the same thing in AMS2 and couldn't get it to feel right. I felt the same with PC1/2 back in the day. I hope it didn't feel like that on the consoles...

• Like Like x 2
  5. FS7

I play with TC & ABS on realistic, everything else off, manual transmission, and I use the same custom controller settings across R3E, AMS1, and AMS2 (my controller settings here). AMS1 & R3E work fine and controls are very responsive, AMS2 is sort of playable but it always feels like something is off and the in-game steering wheel doesn't quite match what I'm trying to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

The funny thing on it is we don't want better support, we need less useless gamepad stuff. For instance, games like GTR don't probably have big gamepad and KB support. It's just about steering rate (lower for KB), speed sensitivity steering (lower sensitivity with speed) and some steering linearity (lower sensitivity around zero). That's it, even wheel users can use that sometimes.

That's the reason you can start 20 old year sim and immediately play on a gamepad or KB. They didn't care about some cool special stuff.

7. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

How, though? I've never found anything in R3E to get rid of the horrible input filters that makes countersteering quickly impossible.

8. FS7

For Race 07 & R3E the default analog sector values are too low and cause input delay in the steering (steering is slow and quick direction changes are nearly impossible), I raise the values of all 3 analog sectors and return multiplier to their maximum values and that allows me to do quick corrections with the steering.
    Also, I've changed one setting after posting the R3E controller settings video, I've set min steering speed to 0 and max steering speed to 720.

• Like Like x 1
  9. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Yes, same here, I think I needed to tune it a bit. Currently I have same steering for AMS1, R3E and rF2. All amazing games I can play forever.

Only different steering is in AC and ACC. I never liked those games too much and hard to say why. Physics is special for sure but I think steering linearity must be different than ISI standard.

10. FS7

For AC & ACC some settings such as deadzone & speed sensitivity are the same as in other games, so I use the same values as in the other games I play.
    Steer filter I set to 0, this one seems similar to controller filter/damper in PCars games & AMS2, depending on your playstyle you could try somewhere between 0 & 50 and see what works better for you, precision steering = lower value, tap steering = higher value.
    Steering speed in AC/ACC seems to have the same effect as steering sensitivity in R3E/AMS1/rF2 so for steering speed in AC/ACC I use the same value as steering sensitivity in other games.
    Steer gamma I started with it set it at 1.0 but it felt too sensitive for me so I raised it to 1.5 and works fine for me, I suggest starting with gamma at 1.0 and if you feel it's too sensitive increase the value.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. alim

alim New Member

I am comparing ams2 gameplay to F1 series. Codemaster did a fantastic job about wheel rotation. Wheel rotation depends on the car speed, for example if I am going 300km/h and fully turn the joystick to right it doesnt go 90 degrees to right it goes 10 degrees for example. Any other game in the market doesn't have this feature. IMO Steering angle depending on vehicle's speed must be added to every racing game.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. FS7

1) A bunch of racing games have this feature (rF1, rF2, GTR2, Race 07, R3E, AC, ACC) but they don't force it on every controller player, it's optional, you can control how much the game limits the rotation of the in-game wheel by increasing speed sensitivity and/or controller filter/dampening.
    2) It should be added as an option that can be turned on or off depending on the player's skill and preference. If you have the skill to fine control steering you turn the filters off and do the steering yourself (eg: move the analog stick a little bit for fast turns, move the analog stick all the way for slow turns), if you don't have that level of precision and/or use tap steer you turn the filters on and let the game turn the car for you.
    In older games such as F1 2012/2013 there was a wheel override option that would treat controller as wheel, get rid of all the filters, and let me have full control of the cars. CM's decision to have built-in filters that cannot be turned off, cause input delay, and limit how much I can turn is one of the reasons I don't like the newer F1 games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. alim

alim New Member

Oh I didnt know they existed! Thanks. Yeah F1 games built for casuals, realism is not part of the game.

14. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Wow, I am not the only one noticed. Pretty cool feature sadly missing these days. Even The Crew 1 has it!

15. micro-impact

micro-impact New Member

That´s not really a filter. It´s more a design decision physics related. R3E wants you to drive clean without gung ho corner action.
    I don´t say it´s better or worse , but for competitive racing the driving this way is reliable.
    I don´t feel any filters in R3E. Beside the driving is easy enough to disable all support filters.

16. Dicra

Maybe I didn't find the filters that should be turned off, but my steering is in no way matching the turning speed of my thumbs, especially when changing direction. Even Formula cars have the steering responsiveness of a truck on ice. It's the reason I do not play R3E (or F1 2021, because it's the same story there).
    Have yet to try out what @FS7 said though.

17. micro-impact

micro-impact New Member

What do you mean exactly?
    I drive on totally different settings, I prefer for example the first analog sector with max 50 %

18. Dicra

When I turn left in RaceRoom, it takes far longer for it to turn left than it takes for my thumb to reach the end of the stick's range. I tried to change that but couldn't found any setting to turn off that damping.

This, to a point, also is a filter that can't be deactivated in AMS2, but far, far, far, far less extreme.

19. FS7

Lower analog sector values slow down your steering inputs and can make quick corrections more difficult to perform (eg: counter steering, catching slides). Using lower analog sector values might be easier to play for people who don't have much precision with their steering and/or use tap steering, but for people who use precision steering setting all analog sectors to their maximum values is the way to go imo, it's more difficult and takes more practice but it will give you the most precise responsive controls.

All R3E content is free to play until May 30th, I suggest you download the game and give another try if you can, iirc the current download size is around 45GB.

• Like Like x 1
  20. micro-impact

micro-impact New Member

Sorry that´s just bull****. Of course your settings are the pro settings , haha.
    But you are right, if the steering is to slow, you have to rise the analog sector.

• Like Like x 1