The wait for VR support is brutal!

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by onaflyer, Jan 18, 2017.

1. onaflyer

onaflyer Member

I friggin LOVE Automobilista, Hands down best sim out there.... BUT this wait for VR is killing me........please, please, please make it #soon

Just had to vent a bit......carry on:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

After spending a lot of time racing in VR with other titles, I purchased triples - mostly due to AMS not having VR support; that's how much I like AMS.:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. onaflyer

onaflyer Member

LOL, I have been thinking of doing the same thing but man I just can't pull the trigger on an entire setup.....in the meantime I have been running AMS in Virtual Desktop but it is a poor substitute for VR support.

4. Dean Ogurek

No, 2D VR is not for me; I much prefer triples in that case. That could change when VR resolution and FOV reaches a certain point though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

you just dont look around that much in real life... VR is nice but not crucial to sim racing.. its your eyes that mainly glance to your mirrors or dash..

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Woodee

Woodee Simracing Junkie AMS2 Club Member

Maybe I doing things the wrong way around. I wait for software/games I like to support (VR in this case) and THEN buy the hardware.

7. Dean Ogurek

That's understandable from a personal POV but, if everyone shared that view, VR would not happen because there would be no demand for VR-supported games and no incentive for developers to add support. New tech like VR requires investment from multiple directions simultaneously, including the user side.

Fortunately, the VR Genie is out of the bottle now and VR progression is likely to alternate between advances in hardware vs software with see-saw kind of growth. It's still going to be a slow process and the real growth will likely be with practical uses of mobile-AR devices. VR gaming and certainly, VR Sim-Racing will remain very niche markets.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

As @Renato Simioni clearly stated in the VR thread in the Announcements section:

"VR enthusiasts can rest assured that at this point we need no convincing regarding the relevance of VR for sim racing, however we currently have this unfortunate gap between wanting to do something and getting it done. When we have more news on the topic, we´ll make sure to share with you here."

Ok that was in September, so all we can do is hope that they have indeed hired someone and kept it very quiet in a bid to surprise us <cough> ;)

But I fear the reality is that VR won't come in time for AMS before Reiza move efforts towards the next Project (Reiza17) and hence we may have to unfortunately go without, personally though in the meantime I can happily load up AMS on my flat screen for a few laps of fun before the yearning to put the HMD on becomes too much!

9. Lorencini

Lorencini Luciano Lorencini AMS2 Club Member

I remember Oculus Rift announcement dropping support for DX9. So, both AMS and R3E can't support it right now. And AMS problably not have VR at all. Maybe Reiza17, when we suppose it will gonna use DX11 or DX12.

10. MarcG

FYI Raceroom is getting VR very soon so perhaps they are making the shift (with regards to DX11) like Studio397 are doing with RF2.

11. Lorencini

Lorencini Luciano Lorencini AMS2 Club Member

That's what I meant. R3E can't do much now with DX9, but they're planning to DX11, so after that VR can happen.
    On the other hand, AMS have a development roadmap until June/July (maybe a couple of months later, since they are a bit late comparing to original Bonanza crowdfunding schedule). So, AMS will most likely stick with DX9, which means no VR for AMS.

All hope on that matter relies on 'Reiza17', the upcoming racing simulator yet to be developed, as we hope will use DX11 or DX12.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MarcG

yeah I don't think there's any doubt that the next title will most definitely support VR, I'd bet my house on that :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

“Hope is the believe that the promised will be fulfilled.”
    (by the way, who needs VR?)

EDIT: Denis draCup does :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Woodee

Woodee Simracing Junkie AMS2 Club Member

Indeed. I've never really been able to afford being one of the early adopters of any new tech. I'll let the wealthy do the honours and I'll have to wait until it fits my budget.

15. onaflyer

onaflyer Member

As far as I know Live for Speed is DX9 and works great with the Rift. That is why I am still holding out hope that AMS will be supported someday without having to wait for DX11, but I don't know anything about coding and such.

I have been looking at triple setups but seems like it is going to get too expensive just for a band aid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MarcG

Trouble is Oculus won't support anyone using DX9 so it's essentially pointless, any future patches could in effect cause too many problems fore the Devs to deal with. Best to design the code around DX11 as intended to save future aggravation.

17. onaflyer

onaflyer Member

Ahh, that makes sense :)

18. Dean Ogurek

Yeah, it seems Scawen (LFS) has been quite enthusiastic regarding VR and he was very active in the Oculus forums, keeping in step with any updates to the SDK all along. I'm sure it wasn't without considerable frustration at times but, he did prove it could be done and even added 3D mirrors in the process. :)

19. denis dracup

denis dracup Active Member AMS2 Club Member

well i guess you have never used VR. because if you have you would never say who needs it..i have single screen 48 inch tv do you have triples if so i could say who needs triples:)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. JohnCy

JohnCy New Member

Is there any update on VR support? Really want to try AMS and would love to try even beta support. Sadly now I've tried I can't un-VR myself lol

• Agree Agree x 1