1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understanding tire (tyre) pressures

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by coleking, May 22, 2022.

1. coleking

coleking New Member

1. Hi all,
      Can anyone tell me about tyre pressures in AMS2. The reason I ask is that in ACC there is a recommended tyre pressure range for both GT3 and GT4 cars and you can drive laps and tune your tyre pressures accordingly. Even in the original AC there are little apps that can help to see if your tyres are in their optimal pressure range. I understand there are a lot of car classes in AMS2 so I'm just asking about GT3 mainly. If there is a generic explanation too for how to work out what tyre pressure should be for any car class, that would also be good to know.
      Thank you,

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Default setups aim for hot pressures in the 1.8-1.9 bar range for GT3 cars.

Tire pressures also depend on aero and weight distribution, like also stiffness demands of the car...usually the default setups in AMS2 already aim for a proper baseline in that department. You should also aim for the I/M/O temperatures to be distributed correctly for a proper contact patch. (By especially camber and pressure)

Timestamp 3:24

The video is old, but the procedure still checks out! :)

Important is to keep your tire in the correct temperature window even more than pressures, but the procedure described above tells you the basics of how to adjust contact patch in general.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I will summarise what to do;

1.) ACC’s 27.5 psi rule is not realistic, and only exists in that game because of the simple tyre model.

2.) In AMS2 you want your tyres to be ~ 85 degrees celsius. Also below 70 and they will grain, and above 100 and they will blister (This isn't visible graphically or in the ui, but it is modelled by the physics).

3.) Adjust your tyre pressures in pits so they will be the optimal temperatures after 3 laps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

It is important to be careful with this approach, as you can very easily move the tyre of out optimal pressures with this approach. While there is no hardcoded pressures, you want the Inside-Middle-Outside temperatures of the tyres to be a gradient.
    Drastically changing pressures to chase ideal temperature can easily make the tyre over or underinflated (indicated by middle portion of the tyre being either coldest, or warmest).

As IRL, weather plays a big role, and on a hot summer day some compounds will overheat while being at optimal pressures, and you need to adapt your driving accordingly.

The same for cold days, sometimes it is very hard to get enough heat into the tyres. And while you can help it by underinflating tyres, this will result in other negative effects, like the car feeling unresponsive in turns.

5. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 is like RF2 just drop tyre pressures to their min.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

That's not correct, it will reduce your contact patch consistency, wear balance and heating properties over a long run and reduces responsiveness. Also ride height and aero concerns will play a role, also topspeed and rolling resistance as a whole.

Correct is to go as low as possible without having these repercussions. (Which will come even more into play with the revised tires).

• Like Like x 1