1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.7.1 Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 29, 2022.

1. Benzaah

Benzaah Member

How many pings?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

From what I picked up through the sim racers grapevine is that the P2P based MP that came with the Madness engine is just bare bones basic; SMS wasn't very interested in providing a polished MP experience nor proper ingame admin tools for leagues and just wanted a quick 'pick up and play, create a lobby' type MP experience for your average punter.

So basically MP needs a complete overhaul to get to the 'league standard' we are used to in most other sims nowadays. Not sure how much truth there is in what I just wrote, but if so I sincerely do hope it gets that major overhaul as the MP experience is still very bare bones indeed whilst the rest of the game came along nicely in the past years. And for running AMS2 leagues like we do, it's super important.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Hehe. 'Average punter' cracked me up :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

And % of leagues user from the total is ?
    Pheraps the "money" come from the , no so volatile, average punters .

The leagues user come and go with the wind of the "new game" out there. Like Mary Poppins.

Many $$ for hardware but crying for few buck of software?
    The leagues user cant buy 2 (or , my god, 3) different sim?
    I cant stand this level of gna gna from adult people.
    Sorry.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  5. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Many of you who do not enjoy MP or look down on league racing are missing one important point: AMS2 is the successor of AMS1 and, as such, expectations naturally were that AMS2 would be an improvement on what we had in AMS1.

In many areas it was indeed an improvement (probably the areas you guys who dislike or dont care about MP actually care about), but regarding MP AMS2 is a HUGE step backwards, even though now it is easy to create lobbies and no one has to deal with port forwarding.

It is that simple. We probably misplaced our expectations, since from the beginning it was not clear AMS2 would not keep up with AMS1 MP standards.

Two years later, now it is clear Reiza is actually pursuing those 'low hanging fruits' before actually focusing on getting MP up to the quality of the rest of the game. Ofc it is not a deliberate lack of interest on improving it, but the best course of development they found.

So now we simply shift our expectations: AMS2 is not going to be a MP/league friendly sim for quite a while (6 months? 1 year?), therefore we should seek that sort of enjoyment on other sims. :(

I suggest MP racers to not stress about AMS2 for a couple of months, lets just move on. We can still casually enjoy the game like the rest.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think it was mostly to do with having a streamlined console experience. Of course GT Sport and GT7 showed that console players need not be discluded from ranked multiplayer either.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Bringing the MP up to the level of (mostly) dedicated MP sims and incredibly high simracers expectations will sure not be easy, if that's ever a goal at all in the future. It would require massive development and push, which could be considered its own game within the game... I'm not seeing that happening, unless Reiza hires a tad more developers with the specific goal to evolve the MP in significant ways. Think a minute that there are sims whose the main area of focus is MP with insane resources put into it...

8. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

PC2 still puts up good numbers for a title that hasn't been updated in 4 years and doesn't support mods (i.e. content manager, not cars). However it's important to remember that unless it's part of the financial strategy, long term communities don't matter that much do they?

For IR and R3E they absolutely do. RF2/ACC/AMS2? Not so much, with the base title being the main money maker. Long term commitment doesn't always equal growth either, see RF2 and R3E as examples.

ACC has grown steadily and if PC2 saw a little more development it might have too, so I hope AMS2 will carry that torch.

9. rmagid1010

I'm not sure why people don't play ams2 if they know about it and main PC2 today. But I can speculate that people still play pc2 as it has all the content most people could ever want (especially with le mans and lmp1/2/3) and doesnt have the tempermental nature of other hard-core sims like rfactor 2.

Or, it could be as simple as number of GT3 avaliable, I know ams2 is not really about simulating 20 cars in the same class like ACC does, nor do Reiza have the money to license 10 brands just for their GT3 machines, but PC2 has an ample choice of GT3 and this is the most popular class in sim racing.

10. TronLi

There are a LOT of classes in PC2 that are not represented in AMS2 (yet, I have hope!), same for tracks. I doubt most of those numbers come from MP (but of course MP is dominated by GT3) but time trial is probably still popular, as is offline (I know, a shock to many), especially in VR.

Of course, all the missing classes would be a great fit for AMS2 and will probably arrive in the future...just not too soon to avoid the wrath of the forum-goers lol ("why aren't you filling existing classes aargghhh!"). Group 5, Group 6, LMP900, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Interesting video of the 2000 Penske Reynard aka a Renske (a heavily modified Reynard):

• Like Like x 2
  12. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Just one observation regarding discussions about player base and how that compares to other sims, don´t forget that marketing is a big factor there - you can´t compare the awareness from a AAA multiplatform title like PCars2 and the marketing campaign that goes with that with what is done for AMS2. AC / ACC and Iracing while not quite the same level also have bigger marketing pushes, and this will reflect on the reach they have. Other games will also have had larger exposure simply by being out for longer.

We don´t (or haven´t so far) invested heavily in marketing, but by the same token we don´t need the same reach to make a profit.

This is not to say the games´ qualities, content and other gameplay characteristics aren´t relevant, they all factor of course specially for word of mouth but marketing is still a big differential.

• Like Like x 13
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
  13. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The way the Rennsport guys did their initial presentation becoming the industry standard? :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TronLi

That should be music to everyone's ears, or at least to those of us that love the vintage content :).

Keep up the good work!

• Like Like x 6
  15. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Rennatosport. ;)

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. rmagid1010

Just remember to post some cool trailers on youtube whenever content drops, and you will get that reach!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I understand what you're saying there, but that is also the reason why in general people say the multiplayer on ams2 is "dead" which ofcourse it isnt, but thats the general opinion it seems.

should you have invested slightly more in a (little) bit of marketing,which nowadays can be done rather easily compared to a few years back, with the use of social media/livestreams, it most likely would have brought more people to ams2, and the way it works is that people bring people, ofcourse a well working game/multiplayer contributes to keeping the people.

18. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Or maybe it will be a better time to do more marketing in 6 months or 1 year, when things have settled a bit regarding physics and they are mostly final, or if/when MP really progresses on the technical side. It also has its advantages to be low profile for a while.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. rmagid1010

I dont agree. Whilst ams2 is not quite ready for competitive esports nor long sp races, ams2 is really good for new sim racers as they are unlikely to do either of these things, but will still be able to appreciate the graphics, physics and user-experience that beats all the other sims. A large and expensive rennsport-style event is obviously not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

not to forget the diversity in content they are getting as well

• Agree Agree x 2