AI: Qualify vs Race

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Mar 14, 2016.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

The AI seem to be super-human during qualify, then amateurs during race.

Example:
    If I lower the AI strength to where I'm middle of the pack in qualify times, then during the race I can pass everyone very easily and win the race. No competition from AI.

If I raise the AI strength to where I get a good competition from AI during race, then I'm completely dead last during qualify.

The AI are super-human in qualify. Any tips?

2. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

The AI is supposed to be about 1-2% faster in quali relative to race pace in default tracks, so not really super-human stuff :) Can you specify the car / track / settings combo and the times you´re observing (if beyond this normal range)?

3. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

Hehe maybe I'm just terrible in qualify ;) :) In qualify the AI are up to 10 seconds faster than me at 100%. But during race, 100% is great (Formula Reiza on default tracks). I usually need to turn down to 80% to match my quali times.

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

This has been typical in rFactor and all variants for 10 years.

5. Josimracing

Josimracing New Member AMS2 Club Member

For me is quite the opposite... I'll do some tests later today and report AI times for each of the different seasons but generally my feel is:

For a given AI difficulty level (say 105% -110% that I normally use now -although this depends on the car and track!-). With agresion at Medium or Max.
    Practice: AI is at its best. Difficult to outrun and as if all was fine tuned for them. I normally set the difficulty to struggle here as otherwise Race would be unchallenging.
    Qualy: AI is very slow in comparison. Struggling in practice above I easily beat them here on 2secs which makes qualy so unnecessary that I basically skip it and directly go for a middle (at 110 difficulty) or last position (105 difficulty) on the grid without qualifying. Which I don't particularly like as I would rather compete against them as well at qualy.
    Race: AI is better than at qualy but not as good as in Practice and that allows me to have fun overtaking them and sometimes even make it to the podium or even win.

The above might be simply that I'm not using the right setups for each season (normally don't modify them much other than fuel load). But, in any case, I would expect AI to be at their best when qualifying (is that a wrong expectation?)...

6. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Typically there´s nothing typical about code, as you can change / replace / update it :) In this specific case we´ve (re)enabled racequalratio as working AIW parameter in SCE and its been tuned again for AMS, to work as I described in the previous post (1-2% faster in quali vs fastest race time).

Anyone picking up on anomalies should report the specific settings (what car / track / setting) for us to look into. Keep in mind if you skip or click "finish session" the times won´t be representative, they need to be run in real time (or at least until the AI has had enough to do a couple of runs) for their laptimes to be representative of their actual pace.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

8. Lorencini

Lorencini Luciano Lorencini AMS2 Club Member

Try to press Control+T when in qualifying.That accelerates time, so you don't need too much for the session to end. That's working preety well for me since GSCE days.

Other thing I've notice, AI feels like AI do a practice with full tank, but uses only an amount of fuel for 3 laps. So, they are lighter and goes faster. I discuss this and other AI stuff in this post. Consider taking a look at it.

9. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm finding during my MR18 season that the AI are 1-3 seconds faster in practice then they are in qualifying and 1-3 seconds slower in the race compared to what they qualify with.

My last race at Curbita the top 5 AI were all sub 1:15 in practice, in qualifying I was first with a 1:14.992 no AI broke 1:16, and in the 15 minute race I won by over 12 seconds running pretty conservative with my fastest lap being a 1:15.586 so I figure the AI was around 1:17s or slower.

10. Lorencini

Lorencini Luciano Lorencini AMS2 Club Member

Consider follow all my tips at the AI Post. I can to a fine practice, qualifying and race with them.
    Give it a try. Then tell me how was it going.
    Cheers!

11. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

i hope you drop the fuel load in qualy wink wink**

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. pitkin

pitkin New Member AMS2 Club Member

Surely Reiza could move the settings that adjust the racequalratio (and other AI settings) out of the now hidden .AIW files and into a file we can edit ourselves? It seems to vary for every mod and track, so what works for one person may not work so well for someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I fully agree, that would be just great for us to finetune races.