1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom, Default or Default + for FFB?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by blueferrari, Jun 27, 2022.

1. blueferrari

blueferrari Member

Hi All,
    I haven't played AMS2 for a while and can't remember what setting the Force Feedback I'm supposed to use.
    I don't save any settings in files and just adjust my DD1 FFB settings for the game, so not sure about Custom, Default or Default I should be using?

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Default is the older AMS2 FFB (It still got some adjustments/improvements over time.)

Default+ is a more flavoured version of that and considered the newer AMS2 FFB (i personally prefer it, but i also like more going on in the wheel).

Custom is there for any Custom FFB files you might want to use.
    By default and without any modified custom FFB file it's a "stripped down" FFB profile. It's still useful for test comparisons then, if Default or Default+ do weird stuff in FFB. :)

For a DD wheel better also significantly reduce Low Force Boost in the FFB settings, if you start fresh, btw.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. blueferrari

blueferrari Member

Fantastic! Thank you so much! I think I'll go with the Default + and see how it goes. I don't use Low Force Boost with my DD1, as I find it's good enough with 75 force in game FFB. No sure how much FX to use though!

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It's highly subjective, i personally use 30 and i already find it quite much (but again i like my lively shivery party FFB :D ). FX will add more amplification to stuff like engine and flatspot rattle.

It basically brings effects that are an extra for immersion and information that go over the chassis into your steering that aren't necessarily all steering rack effects but of other origins. (It's a misconception when it's called canned effects though, it's still all directly coming from the physics side of the sim which determinates how these effects are shaped in the first place)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. blueferrari

blueferrari Member

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go!

6. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You can use whatever you prefer. Just a tip for those with powerful Direct Drive wheels: It's strongly advised that you set the Damping slider to something above 0. While the damping in the Fanatec firmware is generic across all cars, Damping in AMS2 is tuned to each individual car. A common mistake people with DD wheels make is that they drive their favorite car and set the FFB sliders so FFB feels fine with that car, set Damping in AMS2 to 0 and just use Fanatec's internal damping, but then they switch to a different car and suddenly the wheel twitches and their thumb is dislocated. Be safe!

Note that with the most popular Custom FFB files, Damping does something else, so the above tip is no longer relevant if you use a Custom FFB file.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

Hm, as long I can remember, Reiza said, for DDs, set damping in fanatec to 0 and use damping ingame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. blueferrari

blueferrari Member

That's really helpful. Thanks for sharing!