1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Support for Ultrawide 32:9 Planned?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Hank Madison, May 25, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Hank Madison

Hank Madison New Member

Curious if anyone has heard about proper support for 32:9 screens. As is, there is too much distortion/stretching on the sides of the image. Other sims allow for triple screen projection on one screen to provide correct rendering.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Also the track loading background images are very stretched horizontally, though I guess that is true for any aspect ratio other than that of the source image. It's particularly noticeable on a 32:9 screen though.

Other aspects of the UI that are odd on 32:9:
    • The replay controls are positioned from the top left rather than the top centre of the screen.
    • The in-car adjustments menu pops up rather too far to the left to be comfortable to use while driving. Ideally the pop up location would be customisable in the HUD editor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SRS13Rastus

SRS13Rastus Member AMS2 Club Member

Been using a 32:9 screen for 2 years now an I have yet to see any massive or even noticeable distortion.
    Certainly nothing I'd describe as immersion destroying. I just fired up the game to take a good look and not once did I see trackside objects stretching or contracting at the edges of the screen.
    Could it be that you've gotten the FOV settings too far from reality to enhance the feeling of speed?

Seems just fine to me tbh..
    As for the replay controls and ICM I agree they COULD be moved a bit but again, I've had no issues using either in their current positions. That could just be me though as I've just gotten used to it as is.
    I do have to admit I rarely use the ICM in races unless the race conditions change dramatically (e.g. dry to wet) forcing a pitstop to change tyres or repair damage when the pit strategy I've selected won't work.

• Like Like x 2
  4. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

There is a noticable difference, here is a comparison I did a couple of years ago in ACC which supports 'ultrawide as triples' perspective correction.

Example 1:
    [​IMG]

Example 2:
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. roylan101

roylan101 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Would like to see this as well, surprised more people don't care about it

6. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Corrected seems over-corrected, a r1500 monitor doesn't look like a triple setup, It is almost as flat as a pancake,
    Second, I don't like the deformations on the edges,
    Third, I don't use such an extreme FOV as in the screenshots, my view is more forward, but perhaps you own a very big monitor or you are sittings almost in the monitor?
    (It would be nice if you put your gear in the signature if talking hardware)

7. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

The monitor in the screenshots is a Samsung C49RG90 49”, mounted right behind the wheel. Distance from my eyes around 59 cm, so the FOV should be about right.
    In my opinion the corrected looks more realistic, look at the air vent on the Porsche. It is oval on the uncorrected, but more round on the corrected one.
    The shape of the Race Logic timer seems more correct as well.

8. roylan101

roylan101 New Member AMS2 Club Member

The angle on a crg9 is about 12 degrees, as in it’s like having 3 small screens at 12 degrees angle. In games where you can force triple resolution like iracing and race room if I do 3 400mm wide screens at 12 degrees it looks far more correct. The correction on ACC sometimes looks a little funny, but still better than nothing. You can also do triple simulation in ACC but you get lines and some post processing effect errors.

9. PaulA

PaulA Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Im running the same monitor as @torsteinvh.
    I do agree that the stretching looks a bit annoyin in ACC. Instead of using the projection correction feature, i tend to setup the game as running triples. 400mm per screen, with a 12 degree angle.

however in AMS2, i dont seem to find anywhere near as much distortion, as @SRS13Rastus says.
    From memory my FOV in AMS2 is 94. (sitting 65cm)
    According to a FOV calculator, i think the FOv should be 85.
    However i did find a calculator online, that factors in the 1800R curve of this monitor, which adjusts the FOV to 94.

I've linked it below. It uses a Google Sheets document.
    Enter in your specs, and it will give you a new FOV based on the curve. Seems to work well for me anyway. :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/jss4yh/lets_talk_about_fov_on_curved_monitors/

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. SRS13Rastus

SRS13Rastus Member AMS2 Club Member

FWIW I'm on a C49HG90, I sit about 24-27 inches from the screen and my FOV is 89 which is close to the recommended by most FOV calculators.
    My screen is right above the rear end of the wheelbase, steering wheel is removed and seat is set to where I can see the left wing mirror, rearview mirror, top of the screen and any dials.
    I see so many people bitching about the sense of speed being too low but racing round Spa I get the same FOV and distance stretching as seen in boosted media's latest vid comparing their sim rig to the real world helmet cam of an actual race driver.

I can only conclude other titles have ruined peoples perspective on racing irl thanks largely to F1's OBVIOUS distortion cause they INSIST on using darn fisheye like wideangle lenses far, far too much leaving people thinkin the Kemmel straight should look like it's about 3 miles long and 160MPH looks like warp factor 7..
    I know guys doing race days and they say the FOV I use is spot on in the 720S at Silverstone, it's the same as the vid I posted above too.
    Field of view calculator · andyf.me

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. PaulA

PaulA Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep,
    Yep your setup looks about right!
    Mine ends up looking quite the same :)

12. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I sometimes understand people find the speed on pancakes too slow. When I go slower than 100 it feels like going 30km/h. Maybe its the lack of g-forces, rumbling, side-windows, etc.

13. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

or wrong FOV

• Like Like x 3
  14. munkyboo

munkyboo Member

I got the 49 inch ultrawide and was wondering too if it will be supported in the future, whether as a triple set up or its own curved monitor auto setup.
    As for the issue, why is the problem present in ACC but not as much in AMS2? Does Reiza have some sort of correction?
    I do understand that due to nature of curved monitor they need to correct for the curve when setting FOV especially a 1000R. The FOV calculator spreadsheet for curved monitors places the FOV much higher than a flat screen of the same size. A good thing to do, but theres a tradeoff with the distortion