1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Fix Understeer and Oversteer

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by jimortality, Jun 21, 2022.

1. jimortality

jimortality Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I use these 2 pictures to help me but I'm not sure what corresponds to what in the setup. Some are fine, I can see camber and toe and arb but which setting is for reduce front shock compression? Then on oversteer which setting is sway bar stiffness and spring rates. I think that's it for now. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Front bump setting. Slow bump is more for chassis movement and fast bump more for hard bumps and kerbs etc., for handling concerns you usually tune the slow bump.

Anti-Roll Bar setting.

Spring setting in the setup is displayed as such.

3. jimortality

Thanks as always Crimson, I couldn't see Spring rate but I think that's down to my age

4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I thought the setup notes in AMS2 say to reduce rear camber to counter oversteer and I do that and it seems to benefit but that second image says the opposite.

5. CrimsonEminence

AMS2 setup tips should describe only, that cornering behaviour is better with more (negative) camber due to the better contact patch you can achieve in corners, but braking and acceleration are better with lower (negative) camber.

Increasing rear camber can improve rear stability, but it can also affect especially braking grip as a compromise.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

My advice would be to throw away cheat sheets that tell you "increase camber to fix corner entry oversteer". Camber should only be set to achieve the best possible alignment and contact patch, as observed through tyre temperature distributions, not to affect the overall balance of the car.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, camber is not the first setting you want to touch when it comes to induce or tune out understeer/oversteer.

I'd say ARBs are the easiest and fastest way to manage it. I'd also say that the best thing to do is to fix the part of the car you're having issues with. If you struggle with understeer, that's something that concerns the front end of your car, so you want to fix that instead of trying to induce oversteer by changing rear wing settings or rear ARBs.

8. jimortality

So after some testing and watching replays, when I corner exit, it seems the back end slides so what is that called? Also, slightly off topic the F-USA what's the situation regarding 5th and 6th gear? I go faster in 5th but it revs the whatsits off it, gearing seems nearly the same. Am I supposed to change that or is that how it should be? Thank you muchly.

9. jimortality

10. CrimsonEminence

When the back end comes out in a corner then it's called oversteer.

-----------

Gearing of F-USA is how it should be.

11. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

On the "How to fix Understeer" guide, Mid-Corner, it should say to "decrease" front sway bar and front spring stiffness.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jimortality

Ok thanks

13. jimortality

And another question, If it says to increase or decrease camber, which way do I go please? say it's at -3.5 and it say's to increase. I realise some of this stuff is basic for you but for me, it isn't but I'm trying to learn. Remember it's only easy IF you know the answer! :D:D

14. CrimsonEminence

Most of us probably use the term increase for "more negative camber" because of it being quite common.

15. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It’s never really easy, because the more you learn about setups, the more potential solutions there are at your disposal, then the challenge becomes choosing the right ones in the right amounts for the circumstances that also have the least amount of negative side effects. Same car, different tracks, same track, different conditions. It goes on and on.

Its very fulfilling though if sim racing is your hobby. Ive spent many days at my job taking mental breaks and just thinking about setup work for troublesome cars that I can try the next time I drive.

Everyone starts somewhere though, and anyone who knows anything about setups has been in the early stages of learning about them. Which is usually camber and arb.

Whats equally important to learning is actually feeling their effects, good or bad. It all starts with feel.

Many a time Id be listening to a podcast or something while doing setup work and having to rewind because my brain becomes a calculator at every corner, feeling the car and thinking of setup options.

The goal of which is to forget about them all-together when the race comes. The car, hopefully better at that point, starts coming to you and you can focus on braking points, opponents, cornering techniques, getting better at correcting mistakes, saving the car from being overdriven and off-line racing. Which imo makes evert race unique and challenging in its own way, even monza!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nicely put. That's one thing I often struggle with, to feel the car and understand how it actually behaves and whether it is my driving that's causing the issue or not, e.g. if you brake too late you'll certainly self-induce understeer, going back to the pits and trying to reduce understeer isn't going to solve the issue in that instance.

So yeah, setup tuning isn't easy