1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.8.1 Oficially Released - Now Updated to V1.3.8.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 28, 2022.

1. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

On the contrary, the brakes have way not enough bite from 100km/h to stop.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

I'm not on my sim right now to be able to post my time as you requested before, but regardless I'll stick by what I said, there's something very weird going on because the "hoovercrafty" behaviour you describe is how this car used to be a few updates ago but it's definetely not how it is anymore. The car is now fully planted on the tarmac, it feels very connected and grippy and the rear only steps out either on the breaks (if you break while going too fast and turning at the same time) or if you give it too much throttle on corner exit... and for the later to happen easily at all you need to lower the TC. You can still step the rear out on throttle with high TC but you really need to go out of your way for it too happen, which I think would be normal for a GT4 with high TC.

Also what you mention about being able to easily correct slides by just flooring the throttle is something I used to complain about for many cars (majority have since been fixed), but it's not happening with the Porsche GT4 at all, which just leaves me puzzled with your posts. While going hard on the Nords, every time I made a mistake and lost the rear at medium to high speeds I had to react immediately to save it because the tires where fully loosing traction and not just "scrubing". I couln't save my way out of this situation by pressing the gas or I would totally bin the car, which happened a couple times. Instead I had to immediately lift or break to reduce enough speed to regain traction, which would cause me me to loose a lot of time. It all feels very realistic and believable with this car for me and, like I said on my previous post, not very different from what it feels on ACC or R3E.

Project Cars had some bugs where sometimes the same car would have different behaviours depending on the mode you were playing (race, practice or hotlap), so I should mention I did my tests on practice mode, sunny weather at 3pm, with a totally default setup and 40 liters of fuel, mostly driving with TC level at 3. If I have time today I'll try later if there is any difference on how the car handles on the hotlap/leaderboard mode.

Edit: Don't remember what was the track temperature during my tests, which would be very important as well. If the tarmac is very hot or very cold it would greatly reduce grip.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Juan Pelizzari

Juan Pelizzari New Member

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

With regard to the Porsche Cayman GT4, by no stretch i can see it being "Hovercrafty" tbh., not on cold and not on warm tires.

Test Day, green track, 31°C track temp, default setup.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It would be interesting if a player who thinks the cars are more grippy than before and a player who thinks cars are more slidey than before each share detailed telemetry data from something like Second Monitor. One lap, same car, same track, same conditions (e.g. Time Trial). And then anonymize the telemetry data and send it to another party who shares the data with the community (a double-blind test).

I can imagine two scenarios: Either each player drives in a completely different manner than the other, or – and this is the interesting hypothesis – they actually drive quite similarly and it's all about how they perceive incoming stimuli, e.g. the Force Feedback. For instance, what one player may perceive as the tires sliding and losing grip could be what another player perceives as the tires getting close to maximum slip angle before grip loss.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. BadEngineer

BadEngineer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

One thing I've noticed having recently transitioned back to VR from a single screen is that when you have head movement (in your case with track IR if I'm not mistaken) the way you perceive the car's movement especially when on a high-ish slip angle is quite different. When I drive this car on a single screen without any head movement (camera locked to car's dash) I find a bit harder to tell if the car is sliding too much or within acceptable parameters during initial the turn. But in VR it's way easier to judge and way more natural to drive cars that I sometimes had issues with, like the BMW GT4, Formula Vee, and others.

I'm not making a definitive statement by any means but it makes me wonder how people's perceptions might be affected by their setups. Some people play in VR, some people play with a big single screen and good FOV, some have a small single screen and use the hood cam or have to use a "wrong" FOV to see anything around, others might have beautiful triple screen setups, etc, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I had a recent conversation with a friend of mine @50footELVIS and he suggested that FOV could somehow make a difference in the perception of yaw.

and @BadEngineer ninja'd me...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Erik Geelhuijzen

Erik Geelhuijzen Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not sure if it's on your list already but I noticed that if a wing of an AI car has come off (due to AI-accident, yes that's nice) the other cars do not take over the slowing damaged car, but stay behind for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CrimsonEminence

Also part of the flaws in overtaking behaviour that is subject of an overhaul.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Maybe Andy can retry the gt3 and confirm as in above post that all is still well with those car he refers to at the time of his positive post? or have they gone to hell as well? like the gt4 Prc
    Sim has always had opposite impressions for some, proven by all that reseting/deleting folder etc

I think he's talking more feel (ffb) wise rather than perceive. I will be corrected if wrong. np

11. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

By "perceives" I mean both the sensory input stage which is how we receive the sensory data (no matter what sense: vision/hearing/haptics/kinaesthetics...) as well as the cognitive stage which is how we interpret the sensory data at a low level (unconsciously) in the brain.

12. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

I can say the GT1 cars lock up way too easily in my opinion, but it may be different from car to car. You have to run about 70-75% brake pressure to counteract this or be extremely sensitive with inputs, which seems to be a little too much, even without ABS.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I actually feel the opposite: having the camera/head moving is interfering with my perception of the car rotating, so I very much lock the camera and turn the head myself to the side of the screen. I use 100% monitor though

14. Ettore

Agreed. From last tire changes I had to reduce 5-10% the brake power compared to earlier settings and I am generally quite light footed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

brake pressure is a setting that is highly subjective, so its recommended to adjust it for when you want lockups to occur. some like it early in the zone and to feather the brake, some like to stomp at first and release later.

But the sensitivity has been noted. The Porsche i think is the outlier iirc.

• Like Like x 3
  16. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

I think all of them have it to a degree, but I agree that the Porsche has it the most which seems a bit wrong as it was considered the easiest to drive car under all conditions out of the GT1s at the time and very good-natured (do you say it like that in english?).

17. CrimsonEminence

You guys should re-check. GT1 had a reduction for brake torque front and rear with the last/most recent update.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Of course it can! If you have the FOV set so that you are not where the driver actually sits in the cockpit, but farther ahead, it's a bit like a lesser version of driving a bus where you sit in front of the front wheels. Combine that with a flat screen instead of a real, 3D world...or various head movement issues...

19. Ettore

LOL Reiza is pushing out updates faster than we can test cars :eek:

20. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

In the 1.3.8.3 update? Haven tested it in that build but also didn't expect anything to be changed in that regard as it is not mentioned in the update notes. Will give it a try for sure.