1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BLOODY GRASS

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Petrolhead, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Member AMS2 Club Member

Instead of all these great updated how about the developers sort the totally unrealistic grass out? Its more like like ice, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

I dunno man. It seems plenty realistic to me. I can control my car if I react the right way right away and real smooth. Some cars also just can't handle the sudden grip change or have diffs that will just cause the car to spin with a touch of the wheel on a slippery surface like grass. Grass is slippery.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Petrolhead

There a lot of people I play AMS2 with who also agree that the grass is unlrealistic

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Shriukan

Yes but what proof do they have besides an opinion and a feeling?
    Do they know what a friction coefficient is and how it relates to physics? Do they understand the dynamic forces at play when they don't feel on their butts what a car is doing as they press the throttle down on a surface and how easy or hard traction will be broken? The friction coefficient between 2 interacting components is also not a permanent value as it will depend on their constitution (in this case a solid piece of rubber against a fragile and flowing patch of grass so any kind of humidity will alter this value).

The point is, as much as it might feel like it's wrong, ultimately the forces at play seem to be in a realistic department. Last year this debate already happened and there were plenty videos showing just how slippery grass can be, even in slow and controlled situations. Renato has also confirmed a couple times that the grass grip is set with real values in mind. In other words, why are other sims doing it wrong instead?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Are those people experienced in driving real race cars fast on grassy surfaces to come to such conclusions?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Petrolhead

Well the people I race with are not new to sim racing and comparing to other sims they play

I, however have raced a Caterham R500 for real and never got stuck on grass when I have gone off

8. Shriukan

Again, why are the other sims right when most prefer to be more forgiving for gameplay's sake? iRacing is the other game which has slippery grass and it also gets bemoaned at (has been for years even) when it probably also just employs realistic friction values.

But did you go full throttle or hard on throttle in 1st gear while getting away on grass? Cause you gotta be smooth and gentle on it. Even more so on slick tires. But of course IRL it is easier because we have the very important seat of pants feeling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'll only say that there's not one kind of grass to model the physics. The morning one, with dew can be slippery even when walking on, some mossy one too. Or even a pre-match football/soccer pitch. If you take this into the account - it's nowhere near that level.

Some dry grass in the summer can get some grip under some conditions but even then, it's not difficult to "drift" a normal road car on a field.

Let's face it - the grass is somewhere in between in AMS2 and that's fine. It takes a bit of skill to drive powerful cars on it and that's how it should be IMHO.

10. Petrolhead

Well it looks like I am in the minority re the grass, so will shut up and put up :)

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I wonder which sim's grass is greener? I know rF2's is easiest to mow :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

I would say with confidence those people are not these people :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. 50footELVIS

50footELVIS Member AMS2 Club Member

Have no idea if any type of stock car is to be introduced to future oval DLC, but the cars have front aero and grass has earth... Just throw in some various rates of speed:

As far as AMS2 grass is concerned, has anyone tested a sunny, but "wet" track and go off into the grass? There shouldn't be too much grip with slicks on grass. Enough YT (real racing)
    vids out there to show how controllable (or lack of) cars are on wet grass. Searching for them within races is the hard part.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  14. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There is a solution to the slippery grass problem that people here aren’t considering;

upload_2022-7-12_23-26-36.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 14
  15. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, instead of improving the game with huge physics updates for tons of cars and tons and tons of other stuff Reiza should work on grass physics ^^ Seriously?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  16. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Well, you are not alone on this, I might be part of the minority too.

Grass in AMS2 feels like real wet grass, always, regardless weather and time of day conditions. I'm not speaking when you touch the grass with one or two wheels, that change on grip surface will unsettle any car and that's totally fine for me, but when you go 100% off track, car stopped on grass, trying to return to the tarmac is a spin avoid challenge on its own.

17. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I have to say, with the recent massive physics update (v1.3.8.1) driving on the grass feels A LOT more realistic. It matches my experience of going off track IRL.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Gary_S

Gary_S Active Member AMS2 Club Member

My issue is not grass as such, it's more lack of control when you're stopped and trying to gently move off the grass. In this case the car control is very random and is overdone in this sense. A tyre will generally have a bit more grip as it will sink ever so slightly into the earth. It's not a mojor problem though.

19. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you want maximum traction for when you're doing some rallycross off-track action just activate the spool :p (if available) or lock the diff by lowering your accel ramp angle to zero or close to zero.

20. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

obviously not the same as a car, but i have recently gone slightly off the road with my bike and had a very hard time getting it back out even tho i was pushing it.
    it was a pretty hot summer day so i would say it wasnt wet, tire just spins with barely any gas

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2