1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EV's In Sims - Discussion

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Maser V6, Jul 17, 2022.

Tags:
  1. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep, that's what I meant. If you think about it in the UK this never happens and ppl keep burbecuing, smoking, camping etc. The fire fighters themselves said under those conditions anything this small could spark a fire.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

At all: Please stop the climate "discussion" and focus on EV's. Preferably in AMS2
    I agree that this would be an awesome addition to the adrenaline DLC.
    Bit looking at the series itself: I don't really get it.
    Traveling to vulnerable countries/places to destroy a piece of nature there by racing in it, in order to get attention to the climate change that is endangering these places.... this is a reason for me not to watch it.
    But the format itself is really cool though.

3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Okay guys, especially @Jugulador

When this thread gets derailed and heats up even more, i will start to delete messages and close this thread, accompanied by a warning. Please behave and aim for a more harmonic discourse without accusations and passive aggressive behaviour due to varying opinions.

Last warning.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

There would need to be way to make sure fires don't happen but I think the weight problem could be solved by battery swapping. That tech is doing well in some Asian nations. Takes about ten minutes to swap a low battery for a new one.

5. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

How 'bout self-driving car racing?

You and you're family get to get scared witless racing other families in driverless cars and you only get to go along for the ride. Consider how some people might react, the interiors might need to be self cleaning too!

Even better you could make it into a real world sim, where some guy in his underwear gets to go against other people in underwear racing EVs remotely.

And, yes there will be cheese involved. I can't wait.

6. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Let’s take it a step further. Remote car racing with families inside.
    “Experience firsthand the racing rush while flawed humans get to push cars without being harmed*.”

*Remote Racing Company will not be responsible for injuries, disfigurements, dismemberments, burns, trauma, deaths or any kind of harm.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So I assume with these fires in Europe, the countryside has browned off? That happens here in most places in summer and that is when things light up easy and fires take hold. We already have rules in place for things like back burning and fire breaks on properties but that does not always help.
    High winter rains mean more growth in the bush in spring and then more browned off foliage in the heat of summer, perfect scenario for fires.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Don't those batteries weigh hundreds of kilos?
    Not must a job anyone could do

9. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have no point in participating in this conversation if we cannot talk explain why we think the way we do.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. CrimsonEminence

Geo(-political/economical) topics are a side track more than off topic in context of EVs, but this thread has been derailed enough. I ask you guys to stay on topic.

I've removed the off-topic, i can understand that it's annoying to see text removed, but i warned you in advance guys.

Approach each other in a reasonable way, even if your opinions and world views vary and don't try to discuss moderation.

Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. ozcanuck

ozcanuck Active Member

Great thing about sims is we can still drive howling, gas guzzling vintage ICE racecars long after they have disappeared from the road.

• Like Like x 1
  12. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

I've been waiting for a flying car sim since last century!

13. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

Why would it be fictional?
    They could add
    - Formula E
    - rallycross
    - Extreme E
    - ETCR
    - next year or so: the new electric GT series
    - electric karts (we have those in a town nearby, and no I haven't tried them yet)
    - Hill climb

And then I probably still missed something, so lots to choose from I would say

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would at least like to know what wasn't considered "reasonable" about what I wrote?

Nevermind, I don't even care anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Electric karts are fun, depending on where you go in the US that's probably all you'll find. The biggest issue with rental karts are the tire and brake differences between karts lol. It's always a lottery but still fun.

• Like Like x 2
  16. CrimsonEminence

This part wasn't directed at you. :) The removed text was part of the removed off topic.

17. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This thing is just an absolute weapon. I wish they'd start a single-make spec series based on this thing. Imagine these things set loose on Monaco, you'd have nearly F1 speeds with enough width to fight for positions.

Honestly, I prefer the electric rental karts over the gas ones. Better torque out of slow corners and less hassle. The problem is all of the electronic aids/governors they put on them. One track I went to had a nice little downhill section that you could kind of "jump" the kart a bit (just barely lift the wheels) and the governor would massively cut the power if you went too aggressive. I wouldn't mind an electric kart in game, and honestly, it wouldn't be too difficult given all you'd need to do is a little tweaking to the current rental kart.

Yeah, I don't understand the Extreme E hype either. I don't mind the cars or the concept, but the lack of fans and event participation makes it just seem lifeless IMHO. What's the point in racing in these far-off countries if the people there can't enjoy the event? (Edit: by that I mean, they're not allowing spectators) I could see the EV trucks becoming a Stadium Supertruck replacement, but I would much rather watch something like electric rallycross than the current Extreme E format.

Speaking of electric rallycross, considering "electric motorsport"s limitations, rallycross style formats do seem like the best testing grounds for EV tech. The shorter heat race format fits into the "refueling/charging/range" limitations of current EV's. Maybe we'll eventually see some better EV charging tech that could facilitate EV's in endurance racing, but the current tech can easily be a drop-in replacement for rallycross cars without any major downsides.

I've been following Nitro Rallycross for a while now, and have been pleasantly surprised by their Group E format. Even though the cars are heavier, they are doing similar lap times to the current "supercar" format, and the quality of the racing is effectively identical. Yeah, I miss the noise, but I'm still going to watch if the racing is good. I would love to see rallycross explode in popularity if manufacturers realize the advertising potential of the format. Tracks are much cheaper to put together and maintain than a conventional road course, county fairgrounds could be easily modified all over North America to make a sanctioned RX course for these things, and potential manufacturer interest could see a whole new development war to advertise their new EV tech.

Group E

vs. "traditional" Supercars

vs. WRX Projekt E

vs. Extreme E

(side note: Andrew Conley is a GOAT tier motorsport commentator)

The biggest issue I see currently in Rallycross as an IRL sport is the current main series stomping over each other's markets. World Rallycross was big about 6-7 years ago, but lost manufacturer interest due to the VW dominance. GRC folded, ARX tried to rise in it's place and then the promoter lost interest, Nitro RX looks to be enticing drivers and teams over from WRX. With Nitro RX expanding into a US and Europe championship and WRX losing some of it's best talent to Nitro RX, the sport is in a bit of an IRL vs. CART situation. It's a niche sport, but it has massive potential if manufacturers realize how good of a platform it is for EV's.

As for AMS2 implementation, we know the Adrenaline DLC is planned at some point. I could easily see something along the lines of Extreme E/Nitro Rallycross fitting into that format. I'm sure there are more complicated factors going into simulating the cars, but I would guess that an electric powertrain would have fewer components to model than a current combustion engine. Not to mention that some form of EV simulation must already exist in-game given three cars already have some form of ERS/KERS. The Madness engine is already fairly competent with mixed surface racing, given Pcars2's RX tracks worked really well imho.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Extreme E was licensed by Turn 10 but Nitro RX would be perfect. I just found out about it through the show Subaru Launch Control. I agree it would be a perfect fit.

For a lot of series, I don't know how they manage to stay afloat. Formula E has really low views on YouTube and they can't have that many ticket sales. Extreme E is super boring, I watched 1 event and lost interest during the 2nd. I can't get into Formula E either but I've watched a few highlights there at least.

• Like Like x 1
  19. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if a EV maker or two hooks with sim developers to cross-promote their vehicles. Has VW already done this with RRE?

20. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

Part of the reasons we like sims is that we get to try things in real life we typically cannot afford time or money wise. They'll be more EVs in sims if EV racing catches the public's imagination.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1