1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

I think we should not pretend something here. Someone new to AMS2, who has no passion for this game (yet) will not care about a missed deadline. He will very much care about a broken gaming experience, because playing the game is how you build any sort of connection with the people who develop it, but he won't care about the updates.

There have been some disappointed youtube streamers who have done pointless release streams, but Reiza have already put a stop to that by the previous delays; as far as I know there wasn't any such stream planned for today.

The scheduled updates are how you keep your current community engaged. The people who wait for the releases, who will make room on their own busy schedules in order to be able to enjoy them - these will be the ones you already have on your side, the core of your fans. These are the ones most likely to promote your game to the outside, the ones most likely to get others excited by word of mouth.
    It's not a good idea to continually disappoint these guys, too, because you can only infect others with your excitement if you still have any, but I don't think a few more missed releases will diminish my personal investment in AMS2.

I will, however, definitely never again speak of anything AMS2-related outside of this forum before it has actually been released, but I think Reiza can live with that.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

No one is saying this is the exclusive reason.

But if the product is good (and it generally is quite good), then low and declining popularity is probably at least partly related to either (1) failure to get the word out, or (2) lack of confidence in the producer overall.

As I said before, content creators are no longer trying to generate enthusiasm in sync with Reiza's releases. Why would they plan this into their schedule, when they know Reiza will likely miss the delivery date? Discord servers are no longer planning events where everyone will try the new content together. How could they? Reiza will probably miss the delivery dates. Word of mouth is that AMS2 is fun, but way behind schedule with a developer that will promise the ocean and deliver a creek (with an apology and a reminder that maybe, eventually, the creek will still fill up the seas if we wait for it).

And again, missed deadlines are entirely avoidable if you simply set the deadline farther out to begin with (or warn people about the delay a few weeks in advance rather than on the ostensible release day).

It's part of the issue. Maybe a small part, maybe a large part. But part of the issue either way. And it is fixable. So why not fix it?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I wasn't referring to the missed deadline. I have access to the beta and from what I see, it is going to get the reaction I predicted it would when it does release and I'm in no hurry to have that move to the release version. You were talking about the development cycle, and my point was more that AMS2 has been in "full release" long enough to at least be competing with a title like ACC in terms of player count. There are just too many deal breakers in this game right now be it Multiplayer, ai, physics, whatever. There seems to be things about this game right now that cause people to not boot it up. So IMO there is a long road to go. Reiza have said they are in it for the long haul so eventually we will see. It has the potential, but that has been said about a few games before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Nope,faulty,idiosyncratic
    It's getting better,but not perfect that's why we do MP-tests more often weekly to find out.:)

5. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

20220801_002151.jpg

Done!

That and Euro Truck Sim 2 is getting all my seat time atm...
    And that title never runs out of content, talk about moddability.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

The new GTA5 update should keep me busy for a couple weeks.

7. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

upload_2022-7-31_23-32-36.gif

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Ader Pontes

Ader Pontes Member AMS2 Club Member

People are very sensitive these days... Patience...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

And me on Elite Dangerous again.
    On my way in the outback of the galaxy and heading Beagle Point.
    Should keep me busy for a while! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. rmagid1010

I took part in SemiSlick Racing’s formula v10gen2 league earlier this year, good fun to race this car on a good chunk authentic period tracks every other weekend. Unfortunately I couldn’t commit to racing the f-ultimate gen2 in their next season. I’m sure other leagues are also enjoying racing the formula one cars and the CART cars.

League racing still has some difficulties which haven’t changed since launch (or pc2), but content is not one of them.

11. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

ETS2 and Cyberpunk 2077 would be my elysium. And LEGO obviously (if you haven't noticed the avatar yet)!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

My cure for AMS2 boredom has been to learn the photo mode and try getting good at it (I'm a sucker for photo modes)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Each situation is different and there are many factors at play from many fronts of development intertwined with the needs of the product within any given cycle - in this particular case we have a combination of DLC content which people have bought already, and thus did deserve some foresight into their release (even then we´ve been keeping those to a minimal to reduce chances of it not being met); these items have in fact been completed on schedule and are ready to be delivered, but they rely on new game features to work to their best (which is not always the case).

It´s just does not follow we knew weeks in advance it wouldn´t manage to wrap these features to a releseable state as the early stages had progressed smoothly, and only in later stages did problems begin to arise - it was only this past Friday in fact that it became clear we didn´t have one specific feature in a releseable state, which in turn made releasing the content ill-considered.

When you tie that to other bigger developments ongoing elsewhere - more and more elaborate than originally planned - a picture that this update just may need more time to be all it should be becomes clearer in a way it wasn´t even a few days ago - and even in those last few days we could very well have managed to solve the core issues to bring everything to a releseable state, but we didn´t. We´re talking about a one month timeframe here of course, margins are tight at the best of times :)

Again though this doesn´t detract from the fact we set a schedule and didn´t meet it, and that naturally warrants some criticism - this is just meant to be an insight as to how easily that can happen when you´re pushing as hard to deliver so much within such relatively tight schedules as we have. The timing of each exact stop may be hard to gauge and we will get it wrong on occasion, but the overall pace is still pretty optimized and that we think is the most important.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 23
    • Winner Winner x 12
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 5
  14. rmagid1010

50BD494D-F8E7-4187-BD50-21462F27353A.gif

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

To the record: IMHO, Reiza is doing a far better work with AMS2 than Kunos did with AC.

I bought both games very early (AMS2 when gone EA and AC when 1.0)... both games were crappy at the release, but as AMS2 took only a little more than a year to change from water into wine, AC needed much more time to be only bearable and only got really good because of it's community that carried a huge load releasing SOL, Custom Shaders Patch, Content Manager and a shtload of cars and tracks. BTW, the huge majority of the best car & tracks to the game were community made.

Not disrespecting the work of Kunos, because they were a small studio that invested in a proprietary engine (what is not easy) that still is competent to a lot of things. But truth be told... you are right to say that after some point, it was best for AC to let the Cave Russians and other folks did what they did.

As for AMS2, the game will only be complete when Reiza say it so... or when someone release an equivalent of Content Manager, SOL, CSP and people develop easier ways to mod for the game (included tracks), what I don't believe that will happen... so it will be completed when Reiza say it so.

EDIT: BTW, not AC, AMS2 or any modern racing sim need to be complete to be enjoyable. We are not living anymore on pre-internet era, when the game was what were delivered in it's rental media. As long as there are updates, all the games will work as a service. Specially those with procedural gameplay, that you don't stop to play just because the ending credits rolled up your screen

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AC is the sim that will definitely bury all other sims: past, present and future, including AC2.
    This thing will never die.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

I mean to be fair:
    upload_2022-8-1_0-32-56.png
    upload_2022-8-1_0-33-18.png
    upload_2022-8-1_0-34-5.png

AC and ACC are just in a league of their own player wise and will probably be for a very long time, even the F1 GAMES have less playcount than AC so I'd say there are probably fairer comparasions to give to AMS2 than AC, especially since it isn't far off of rF2

upload_2022-8-1_0-36-11.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

I just hope you can give us some insight in your developer update whether the previously teased cars are coming in this one and what the content is that we can expect.

It shouldn't be problematic this time unlike when the cars were first teased, since they seem to be finished or very close to it now and certain to come in the next August update.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Non centralized development will always had better results. I still insist to defend that using a non-mod-friendly engine could be, by far, the worst mistake that Reiza did with AMS2.

ACC will simply die when a better "GT3 at Spa Simulator" is released... specially if this new sim is, also, better suited for potato PCs than ACC is. But to kill the original AC, would demand much more than that, that may never happen as there is a tendency that new sims would not be as mod friendly as AC is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I really missed the point when YTers ever hyped AMS2 not even before the release. The three who did anything just spent their time creating one undercooked silly negative review after the other for a few months just for clickbaiting purposes until no one watched those anymore.
    And that is exactly the main point: AMS2 has not spent money on the YTers and content creators nor any other form of advertising and it shows.

Not sure which communities you are following, but I can see more communities using AMS2 and more participants in the communities I am in than ever. And that is notwithstanding the state of MP which is definitely in need of improvements and new features.
    I can suggest you several communities in several parts of the world if you can't find one that is active. I'm in more communities having championships ongoing or planned than I can attend to. :D
    Does that mean all is perfect? Not at all, but there are also a lot of positives.
    I suggest you get out of the closed world of your theories and check out the real world of the communities that use AMS2

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1