1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weather Configuration Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by hu uashdiasuh, Aug 1, 2022.

1. hu uashdiasuh

hu uashdiasuh Member

Hey!

as of right now, no matter how u look at it, each weather slot is 1hour long.

u can in modify the weather progression, which is essentially just a seperate time progression multiplier, the road still acts like it rained an hour even if u set it to 60x.
    which makes sense i guess.

the issue (like many others) reported, is that with increased weather progression mult. it also gets wetter faster, so on a very high multiplier, u could drive one lap on a normal GP curcuit, have rain start and by the end of the lap its almost dry again

in reallife, rain for example does not always last for 1 hour, sometimes it just rains for a few seconds or minutes, sometimes it lasts for hours or even days.

theres a few options how people could have more control over the weather:
    simple version would be something like:

imagine an excel sheet, from left to right u can select the weather type, and their respective length in say minutes.

an example would be 3min sunny, 4min overcast, 10min very cloudy, 1min light rain, 15 very cloudy, 30min rain

this gives u an endless possiblities and u could keep weather progression on 1x so the track behaves like IRL without getting fully soaked in 15sec and then try again in other 30sec :D

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

This. SO much this.

It's actually a little weird if you think about it; we have one of the most sophisticated weather systems in any racing sim (at least that I know of), and yet the weather configuration is very basic, if not to say bare-bones.

There is, of course, the option to use real weather on a track at a particular time and date - if the data is available - but while this a great and rather unique feature it still doesn't allow for the level of customization the sim deserves.

What's worse: As far as I am aware, when using real weather you can actually end up with weather slots that are way shorter than an hour, as well as very particular cloud coverage, lighting, etc., so the system already takes advantage of the complex weather mechanics. It's just that we are unable to fully configure and utilize this power ourselves (yet).

tl;dr
    +1 for more detailed weather settings

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

Next to that I would love an option to be able to select a number of weather types for the custom option.
    So basically select from: sunny; cloudy; overcast; light rain; rain. Whilst not getting the other weather types. I would love the option of (f.i.) anticipating that there might be a light drizzle halfway through the race, without fearing a thunderstorm.

I know that the game keeps the usual weather types in mind with the random weather, but it doesn't give that control.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. hu uashdiasuh

hu uashdiasuh Member

i "hacked" or modded the ACC dedi server a bit ago, made some adjustments to how the weather would behave, i could setup something like a min/max (best / worst) weather, and then randomly choose a weather "plan" for the next race session.

was pretty dope, only down side was that the forecast wouldnt display correct data as this was dynamically changed but ppl appricated it for the most part (ofc u have some ppl who just hate any wetness online xD)
    i also mimic'd ams2's "sync to race" where it would grab 2-6 "slots" for the race and then run them through as the race progressed, was very handy for sprint races (10-15min races) with quite variable weather (but not always)

so essentially u had, say 2 out of 10 races that got wet, sometimes starting wet and then drying up, sometimes it started to rain a lil bit for a few min and then it would stop.

it was all random, but random with "weights", so it wouldnt storm all the time xD

why am i telling you all of that? i think the way ams2 weather works differently to how acc does it, in acc theres a weather update every now and then being sent to the clients, thus keeping everyone in sync with the weather, so even if i changed the weather manually midrace to storm, it would suddenly start to storm on everyones client.

while i think that ams2 does never sent any of this to the client, except for when you connect to the server/lobby
    i can semi confirm this, cuz i joined an online lobby, made it rain on my client and it would rain for the whole race (even tho the race was set to sunny), so there wasnt an update from the server syncing my client at all (maybe this update happens if multiple weather slots are used but i doubt it)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This tracks with the complaints that some AMS2 online lobbies desync between players so that some players have completely different weather/grip levels than others.

6. hu uashdiasuh

hu uashdiasuh Member

i also tested heating up the track and individual track "blocks" (the track is split up into a type of grid and each square has a temp/rubber etc value assigned to it) i set the track and/or block to 1000°C and it would just slowly decrease (cooling off due to not being heating by the sun) but i couldnt notice any server update to completly jump to a sync'd value, which i had expected.

i think i even posted about this on the forums at some point, since looking at the skidmarks of other cars, not even those work proper, so i suspected that the track heating/cooling is also desynced between each individual player

just imagine u see everyone lagging on your screen for a few seconds, then they ususalyl start sliding and warping around on your side, if that increases the track-grid temps (which i am pretty sure it does) then you have a hotter track-section than everyone who didnt see them sliding there...?

7. Erik G

Erik G New Member

When I read here that one block in the weather config is 60 minutes long I realize I have made a slight mistake setting up my custom championship. I used all four blocks for 1 hour races. I guess the game now compresses these four blocks down to a 1 hour race and thus explains why the track gets soaked from light rain within a minute or two. You live, you read, you learn.

I tried using real (historical) weather for my custom championship but for some reason all events started with clear skies and then clouds built within the first lap and rain poured down on the second, even though there historically were no rain at all that day on the tracks in question. The way AI can master the wet track with their slicks put me off continuing that championship.

I agree that the weather configurator should allow a little better fine tuning, especially if you want to set up a shorter race with a slight shower in the middle. Is drizzle at all possible within the simulation?

• Agree Agree x 2