1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 August 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Elcid43

Elcid43 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Either way, at least I understand now. Hopefully they do come though!

2. Baron Bob

Baron Bob Member

Legal questions of such coplex matters are not easy to argue I would say. Just the fact that we are talking about global distrebution and mulitnational sides makes it hard to answer under wich law and where to file such a claim. Not to mention that an infringement itself is hard to understand legaly. But I would guess that to stop ditrebution by court order one would have to present reasnobale arguments to a judge. It seems ankward to me that somewone colud "blindly" sabotage anothers buisness that way. But what do I know?

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yes, and Daytona oval will be activated as well. Though CART nor Indycar ever raced there, still fun :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

It's not "blind sabotage", it's treading difficult legal territory with uncertain outcome. Of course, I can't just pretend like Reiza have stolen a car I personally designed and shut the game down this way. But if there's a car in a game that looks very close to a well-known car of a well-known series, and said series claims a copyright infringement? That's a tricky matter, so there is actually grounds for the claim. Note the difference: The claim doesn't have to be actually valid, but one could think it is.

There are no judges or courts involved here, just Steam's anti piracy policy. As you might imagine, Steam will always be very interested in avoiding copyright lawsuits because of not removing items on their store and not particularly interested in one relatively small sim developer not being able to sell his game for a few days.

YouTube does it similarly, by the way. If something gets claimed by a copyright owner, it gets removed or demonetized regardless of whether there's legal grounds for the claim.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Who loves generic versions of exciting race cars?? We all do!

Who loves fully licensed versions of those same cars even more?

It's not really more complicated than that. There are already generic versions of various "famous" cars in other sims and they are not being sued. But in this case, if Reiza can forge a solid relationship with the license holders and bring even more and better future content, why wouldn't/shouldn't they?

Indycar is in a different situation than they were a year ago...both as a series and in terms of video game prospects.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Baron Bob

Baron Bob Member

I´m also not shure, if steam would be immeadiatly liabel for an infringment of an developer that just sells his produkt on thier plattform. Of course they have to take action at some point. When it is not very clear that there is a problem it could be that they only take action after the dispute is settelt in court? I mean we are talking here about a realworld model of the indycar or one of thes "it looks kinda like and everyone knows what it is" models? Because if it the last one it is hard to imagine to make problems, because these are all over the place in many games. And for the first one it would be totally clear.

7. HijabiKathy

HijabiKathy Active Member

Possibly will have one of the oval wings for the Rio Oval for 1.4?

Also I do wonder what tracks beyond the actually used ones will have lower drag wings for both F1 and CART

8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

They will use a short oval config with an aero pack that is giving a usable amount of cornering downforce due to the nature of the turns at Jacarepagua.

• Like Like x 6
  9. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Okay, Le Mans confirmed.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Is there a discernable difference between the road and short oval package visually or is that one pretty much just a physics change? I could never really tell the 2 apart personally

Also I'm assuming the oval packages are set up to have the steering bias that real life oval racers do (where your steering on the straights is bent to the right so the left turns are taken straighter), right?

11. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm guessing the only difference will be access to the Weight Jacker as the wings (i think) are identical. Everything else is setup related

12. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

the release notes will answer that :)

• Like Like x 4
  13. CatAstrophe05

AMDM in action

Improved smoke effects too, they've added white and black smoke presumably depending on failure severity

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  14. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

There's a lot to look forward to in 1.4 other than the Indy Cars.

Accurate damage modelling has been forever overlooked in sims, yet damage its the most important aspect of motorsport other than 'going fast'.

I love that Reiza are developing an organic and analogue experience, rather than the current norm which is metronome-ing around tracks in perfect conditions, with perfect machinery.

• Agree Agree x 20
  15. CatAstrophe05

Yeah, a proper parts-based mechanical failure system hasn't been done outside of BeamNG or the F1 games since Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix games (as a reply to that tweet somewhat rudely pointed out) so it's great seeing it back in a modern sim

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. hb22

hb22 Member

Sounds excellent, this update is huge.

I wonder how the AMDM ties in with full course yellows. Ie if the AI has a mechanical failure like this will we see them sitting by the track for a couple of laps under FCY instead of them instantly vanishing?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Good question, because as of right now when a AI gets terminal damage as soon as the car stops it dissappears.

18. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Which is also the way it works with player cars in online racing as well (and not just in AMS2). Whether it should or not is an interesting question.

It might break up the race flow too much in online races if the cars were realistically slowly and carefully pulled out, considering how much destruction online racing involves. Especially since a lot of AMS2 public lobbies seem to be 5-lappers. I guess an on/off toggle for realistic towing would solve that.

• Useful Useful x 2
  19. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

PC2 RX is excellent - actually notably better feel than the track stuff imo but it just does not float my boat at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

AMDM + some sparks would be neat!

• Like Like x 2