1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

J

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Best of Karsten Hvidberg V44 from Daniel

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've done a bit more testing on the CTD when I load Bathurst and Super V8 first up. This crash does not happen with Danielkart's custom file. It only happens when I have an Atmos file in the AMS2 Documents Folder. At first I thought it was any Atmos file, but on further testing, it seems that the Atmos file 'Without Yaw' is fine. No CTD. As soon as I put the Atmos file 'With Yaw' in the AMS2 Documents Folder, I get the CTD. So it seems it is to do with the extra lines of code for the Yaw. I have no idea how to check the code, other than commenting out 1 line at a time to see if the CTD stops. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    BTW, this has only just started happening again with the 2 latest Beta releases of AMS2.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Manolo

Manolo Member

CTD.jpg

Here no problem with last ATMOS 1.4 YAW Version (and 1.3.3 FIX Yaw version), i use last game version 1.3.8.3 and I don't have access to the beta realeases, I think this anomaly is now accidental (it does not happen to everyone and only on old version 1.2-1.3.2) and only Reiza can could give eventual explanations.
    We will see if the anomaly occurs when the final version of the game 1.4 is released and then we will redo the tests. But if I reiza that it receives the CTDs it does not give information on the why of the error (on old version of ATMOS), I am more inclined to think of an anomaly of the game than of the file which in any case would remain equally correctable if only we knew why, but I repeat with the 1.3.3 Fix and 1.4 ATMOS files no problem here!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. AntoAntoDD

AntoAntoDD Member

+2
    T300 and DD1
    Same here no crash with 1.3.8.3 and ATMOS 1.4.
    No access to beta for testing, i wait game 1.4 for test.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michael Enright

That is why I said it was only with the latest Beta Release from 1.4.0.2 onwards. I also have no problems with 1.3..... Just started again the other day when Beta updated. Problem could be, that if this Beta release makes it to Main, then those of us who use the Atmos 1.3 and up, may have to get use to not running V8's first up until a solution is found.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Manolo

Manolo Member

Well I would rest assured, as has already happened in the past yours, your in-depth analysis on the fact that the game 1.4.xxx beta does not crash by eliminating the yaw is already a very important clue if not already a partial solution ;), moreover (even if I am not at all good like the author) if that wasn't enough I think I can change something in the yaw by copying it from previous versions of Stakanov, if then the author would make himself heard he would not mind but I have not heard for months, I will send him a message if we have problems with versions 1.3.3 fix or with 1.4.

The fact remains that it would be useful to know from Reiza what could be the reasons that lead an FFB file to crash the game, or what rules to apply to the code so that this does not happen ... it is not only important for the ATMOS (file currently affected because at today is the olny file with different or extended code) but it is important for any ORIGINAL Karsten or DERIVED file even if for the moment not interested because not involved ... in the future it could happen with updates. ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Michael Enright

I asked the question on the Beta Forum, but unfortunately I have had no reply from anyone at Reiza.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I wouldn’t expect much aid from Reiza for one particular file that has issues, The custom files aren’t their responsibility, and in the past they have only assisted with providing core calculation adjustments and providing Karsten with possible adaptions.

the problem would likely be a case of too many physics conflicts in the code that is heavily modified and also that the file is too long and has too many things to process.
    If the file is too big, it put a heavy load on memory.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Michael Enright

But nothing was changed in the file from when I ran it before the last couple of AMS2 Betas. I have gone through the file and taken everything out I can that wasn't being used, but still crashes. It is only the file With Yaw, so who knows. There is a new Beta out so will see if it still exists. I didn't think I would get a reply from Reiza, but it was worth a shot, as someone may have had a suggestion.

EDIT: Nope, still CTD with the latest update. Thought it would, unfortunately.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  11. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

It's this the Stakanov file with yaw that is borked? Bloody hell ...I like that file☹️

• Like Like x 1
  12. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You'll have to examine that file contents with a fine tooth comb. Even the smallest thing can throw it off. Things like "l" looks just like an "I" in the text. That's the lower case ell, and the upper case eye.

• Like Like x 1
  13. EcoBrum

EcoBrum New Member

Right observations and certainly the control of the code is never wrong, and even the size of the file could be a variable, certainly also the conflicts (even if I don't see how we can talk about this without saying where it is and if there are, or you @Kuku Maddog have knowledge of it??).
    But a regardless I do not think this is the case, the doubt would remain as to why the crash occurs only with a combination of track and car, while in all the other combinations it always works, moreover, in the past it has already been shown that without any correction and without errors of typing in the code some "forms of aggregation" created the fall of the game and other NO forms (the 1.3.3 FIX and the latest 1.4). The change of aggregation alone solved the problem.

I do not ask Reiza to correct the problem on the single file but I do ask for an FFB rule ... maximum size, maximum number of lines, general rules or generic information, but I agree that we will never know.

@Michael Enright can you confirm that even with the 1.4 version that I have published there are problems with the beta?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Michael Enright

Yes, 1.4 gives problem. Only the With Yaw file though. I have commented out all the relax yaw lines, as well as deleted them, but still crashes. I don't know anything about the coding, but seems it's down in the Yaw section. I have tried every version of Atmos I have from 1.2 to 1.4, and all will crash the game when that combo is loaded up first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. EcoBrum

EcoBrum New Member

Very useful as always @Michael Enright .
    We wait the final 1.4 game update and then we will do the tests.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. sndb

sndb New Member

I'm just an ignorant passerby here, but root-cause investigation by eye/hand seems like a really laborious endeavor. I don't think these are being pushed to git{hub,lab} so one can't just pull up the commit history to weed out the breaking change, but couldn't impacted parties just diff their crash-happy FFB file against previous releases (or ideally, last version stable on their system)--that delta should reduce the number of lines requiring investigation enough to make it pretty quick to resolve the fault.

I did not invest the time to catch up on all the posts on the last couple pages here, so apologies if I've misunderstood what they're trying to do about their AMS2 crashes.

Regardless though, it be so much more accessible if these custom FFB files were worked on as public repos instead of sporadic posts by a small number of specific users in a going-on-300-page-thread. If nothing else, the history of various forks, branches, and merges going all the way back to the earliest Karsten releases would be super interesting...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Michael Enright

As I said, I have already done the comparing, right back to original Atmos file. They all crash the latest AMS2 Beta's, but only the 'With Yaw' file. The 'No Yaw' one does not do it. All coding is identical apart from the lines for the Yaw. I do not have much knowledge about the coding side of things, so I did as much as I could. With absolutely no difference.
    This is the problem. If the Atmos 'With Yaw" file is in the AMS2 Documents Folder, and you load the Super V8 and Bathurst first up, you will get a CTD while the track is trying to load. Try another track or car first, then come back to V8 & Bathurst and all is fine. Hope this explains it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Notepad++ has a compare function which makes comparing two files side by side and their differences easy to do, (as stated above). Maybe it's possible that the "yaw" code is not perfectly suitable to be used in the file.
    IMO, (and that's just an opinion) anything beyond 5.1.0.3 is really a waste of time.

Small update as of 03-10-23 for some code corrections. G920 in-game 93/10/25/1
    ffb_custom_settings - rFactor 5.0.1.3 - Mar_2023_G920

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. DoZZa

DoZZa New Member AMS2 Club Member

Which Custom profile would be best to use with Simucube SC2?

20. Handpflegecreme

Handpflegecreme Member AMS2 Club Member

Is there already a new custom ffb for 1.4 out? :whistle:;)o_O