1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 27, 2022.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I have been pitted numerous times lately in AMS2 in my outlap, Ai also on outlap, im slow warming my tyres and the Ai drive straight through me, frustrating af when damage is on high and your spun into a wall.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

I don't know what the updates mean, can AIs finally drive in wet on ovals yet?

• Creative Creative x 2
  3. munkyboo

munkyboo Member

Sorry if its a silly question but changing it to 60/40 would make locking the rear brakes much more easier. So perhaps as a test you can increase forward bias above 65 to see if you still get the problem.
    Then you know the cause and can change the style of driving to fix it. As i also tried the Merc GT4 with no issues.
    The spin under braking unless in straight line is pretty much the rear locking and not the front, and maybe theres not the usual locking sound accompanying it?

Probably you can't turn in too quickly while braking hard, as im sure you can always brake while turning a bit as long as you release enough of the brakes.

If its the rear losing grip in braking phase like you mentioned, then the oversteer on exit probably stems from the same cause which is turning too hard and fast initially, while braking too much during turn. Then the vehicle is still rotating too fast from inertia, and with less rear grip available, when you don't want it to (when you want to straighten the car.)

I dont think it would be an FX FFB issue either unless it was set way too high, as the GT4 cars aren't that powerful that they would get a lot of wheelspin and throttle oversteer on exit (also with TC)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  4. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Here is the video of a few laps. Apologies for the quality of the visual but I am quite trash with OBS...

Probably not the most stable car at the rear on power but under braking you can see that I hit 100% pedal on a 95% garage setting and the car generally remains composed.
    I would say modulation at turn in is key.
    If you like to go very heavy on the brakes up to the apex (which IMHO isn't really the right way of driving even IRL) you probably have to reduce the engine brake and move the BB forward but I think it could very well be slower as your front may plough quite a bit

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

Don't change the L88 (C3-R) anymore! You're there! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sedesa tatasa2

sedesa tatasa2 BANNED BANNED AMS2 Club Member

Formula trainer caterham lancer
    Grip too low.

7. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Firstly, thanks to Renato and team for continuing to smash out the updates, I'm sure they're appreciated by all of us. So it's with a heavy heart that I have to report that the Formula Trainer (especially the basic) is still a bit of a dog: still insufficient lateral grip, massively exaggerated yaw, overpowered on-rail AI opponents, back tyres overheating after a lap or two of the kind of overdriving/drifting required to keep up with those AI at anything over 90% difficulty. F Trainer @ Oulton Park used to be one of my favourite combos in the game, now it just makes me rage quit (especially since updates to Oulton have made AI way too fast in comparison to other similar tracks eg Cadwell). The baton of most anxiety inducing low powered open wheeler has definitely been passed from the FVee to the FTrainer. In fact the FVee is now quite a lot of fun to drive and race against AI. Methinks a full overhaul of this poor little car is needed.

Phew, I managed to whinge about 7 different things simultaneously. On a bright note, the Caterhams, especially the Superlight, are back to being the track day joymobiles they were meant to be :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

The revs in the F Trainer seem to stutter on full acceleration whereby I suspect the wheels are bouncing to the point of constantly losing contact with the track which in turn is why there seems to be so little grip and the rears overheat and wear excessively. Perhaps the tyre is too springy/bouncy for the suspension. Not sure, but it has very little lateral grip thats for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

I think that I can shed some light on the widely differing opinions about certain vehicles.

Go fire up AMS2, select the C3-R and Watkins Glen GP. Take a couple of warm up laps, then try to do your best possible lap with the C3-R. Note your best lap time.

Let's call that baseline normal for a guy my age.

Now switch to the C8-R and do the same thing.

Let's call that baseline normal for someone say, twenty-five.

After that exercise, it quickly becomes apparent that comments about various cars must be interpreted through a generational lens.

If someone had showed up at the track with a C8-R when I was young, we'd have thought it was supernatural trickery and accused them of sorcery or something, LOL!

So I might drive a car in AMS2 and think, "Wow! I love it! It's amazing!" because I have certain ingrained expectations.

But if you give the same car to a twenty-five year old person, who knows and loves, newer, far more advanced cars, he or she might say, "This thing must be broken! What's wrong with it? It's horrible!"

So I think it's a matter of perspective and expectations.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

The F-Trainer basic (and to a lesser extent Trainer Advanced), the Opala Old Stock, the Hot Cars and F-V10 Gen1 (altho should be about sorted now) are still cars with issues we are trying to figure out.

Everything else can and always will be improved, but as of the latest build we consider representative of the car and the physics standards as of late, and IMO are the best representations we ever had of them in AMS1 or 2, and shouldnt be expected to change much until v1.5 several months down the road.

• Like Like x 18
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
  11. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

What's a realistic damage setup after the update? I put everything on max, a couple of mins ago I was almost winning a hard-crafted race at Long Beach and I destroyed the rear suspension touching a cone in turn 8 :D (Lotus 79, it should resist it I guess).

Now I remember that before, when damage was a percentage you could set values over 100% (Do I remember well??). So, I guess Max damage is multiplied?

12. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think medium is the equivalent of the old 100%

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

But, the old 100% was far from "realistic", as is the new "max". Cars are much more fragile RL and I scratched a few ones from the road in my days in the volunteer fire brigade. Kissing a curbstone at 50km/h or a simple traffic light rear ender collision at 30km/h can easily mean end of the trip.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

I hope that this statement doesn't include the F-Retro Gen2's tire heating behaviour, because no matter what I do, after three laps the tires of that car go up in flames.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have not had a single lock up with it probably due to the abs I guess. I don't abuse the brakes either. My usual braking technique is apply hard then bleed the pressure off as slowing.
    I had one bas spin at the WWT road course, the long right hander near the end of the lap prior to the last left. I only just touched the brakes and it spun me 90 left off the track. The other one was last night at Bathurst where you have the twisty downhill bits from skyline, it unexpectedly flung me off left head on into the wall when I was getting ready to turn right.

I will try the bias back to default of 65/35 to see what happens. I am not a hard and faster turner, that isvthe frustrating thing, I think I am pretty smooth with my inputs. I have had a couple of times coming out of la source at spa when it surprised me by spinning on exit with no brakes on, I guess I must have applied too much throttle before completely straight but I would have thought with a car like that with TC on 6 and not overly powerful it could cope a bit bettercwith that on a dry track with warm tyres.

16. F1Aussie

Maybe I am expecting a bit too much from the car and am being a bit toonearly on ful throttle for a couple of spins but I still find the braking to be inconsistent at times. I think i am pretty good at modulating brakes but I have never fully got along with the braking in AMS2.

17. F1Aussie

I had it set to medium last night at Bathurst and was surprised when I almost ripped the whole front end off the Merc GT4 in a low speed prang. I barely got back to the pits. I thought that was pretty harsh at medium but am happy with how it was calibrated. I will just remember for next time.

18. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There is a general lack of FFB feel for the front loading when braking. Everything just feels vague and not sharp enough. I have to gauge threshold braking solely on tyre scrubbing sounds. Some cars that have ABS set to 8 continue to experience intermittent lockups (Porsche Cup). In some cars (Cadillac DPi) there is very snappy feeling on braking where first it feels like the car isn't stopping at all and when you press a little more on the pedal it suddenly locks and instantly unsettles the car. It should be very obvious when you go over the threshold and then when you reduce pedal inputs the control should return. Trying to push with inconsistent brakes is infuriating.

I hope at some point there is a clutch/drivetrain type complete revision of the braking components because it is currently the weakest link of the physics model.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sims Alabim

Sims Alabim Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey! FYI, i'm using a Logitech G29, and can navigate the menus just fine with that.

20. Maskmagog

Maskmagog New Member

bugs-reiza.jpg
    (EDIT: Never done a meme before)

As a newcomer in AMS2 (I come from PC2 on Xbox One X) I really appreciate all the hard work and dedication from the Reiza team. Did some laps last night in the Mini @ Laguna Seca, absolutely awesome. Thank you!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1