1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 - User Livery Overrides

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Rob Thompson, Dec 31, 2020.

1. jonnyb1990

jonnyb1990 New Member

So I’m messing about with the material properties, can you combine chrome and matte layers? A tutorial would be much appreciated!

2. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

yeah me too messing around with the shaders. Silver-chrome is OK now, a metallic coat isn t possible imho.
    Combine both shaders on one livery seems not to work ..- isn t it @Rob Thompson
    1123.png

• Like Like x 2
  3. PaulA

PaulA Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The chrome looks good though. Looking forward to some chrome liveries in the future

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jonnyb1990

jonnyb1990 New Member

Ahh so you can totally mix Matte and Chrome, using the Chrome base, just use the alpha channel on the spec file to adjust roughness, then the fresnel to make it shiny, very exciting

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. jonnyb1990

jonnyb1990 New Member

Since I haven't found one elsewhere, I made a quick tutorial using the "Chrome" base

• Like Like x 7
  6. Rob Fitness

Rob Fitness Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Struggling with finding the right combo for just typical chrome... no problem doing coloured and matte just cant seem to perfect just CHROME... has anyone got a good combination they could share?? I have been copying the combination from this old Pcars thread but not producing the results
    Vehicle custom liveries - How to + FAQ

Here is my coloured/matte

[​IMG]

7. CaptainParallax

CaptainParallax Metalmoro AJR fanboy AMS2 Club Member

I find I've been having the opposite problem haha, can work out chrome just fine but can't seem to figure out matte? In the image you attached it seems pretty close to chrome though, I was able to get that effect by filling the entire layer and anything I didn't want chrome, I would black out in the alpha channel for the fresnel map. ss013654.jpg upload_2022-9-4_13-32-48.png

8. Rob Fitness

Rob Fitness Active Member AMS2 Club Member

the base of this livery is supposed to be mirrored chrome, the best i can get it to look is shiny grey :(
    [​IMG]

9. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

Chrome: Like Rob said -> make a darker grey base color on your base DXT1-dds, than a more light grey on your DXT5-spec-dds. I ll send you my two grey RGB from merc above tonight ….

10. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

I don t know if we can combine chrome and matte in one livery. IMHO it doesn t work

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Chrisi74

Chrisi74 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

chrome or matte are two different .mtx files for the main livery and are called either/or.
    You can't use both at the same time

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. jonnyb1990

jonnyb1990 New Member

But you can use the alpha channel in your spec file to include matte elements in a Chrome livery.

I believe you use Matte to get a more satin-metallic finish when combined with your fresnel layer

14. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can you add / change windscreen banners now too?

15. jonnyb1990

jonnyb1990 New Member

Think it’s still template specific, Opala 86 just has a fixed yellow one, but the GTEs, GT3s and Sprint car you can. Group As you can even change the interior of it

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. MJP10

MJP10 Member AMS2 Club Member

On the base livery for the McLaren GT1s the second car in (ID:52) has orange alloys, but putting my own livery in its place obviously overrides that. Is there a way to change the colours or the alloys on these cars with our own colours?

17. Cassini

Cassini 3D Artist and Video Editor AMS2 Club Member

A piece of extended information on this...
    Back when I started modding PC2 / AMS2, I did some tests with different material files and shading possibilities for the car, not only it's true what @Wolfgang Herold said but also there isn't an easy practical way of achieving matte/chrome effects with only changing map brightness values (including alpha channel of the specular map).

It's recommended to use a car with the desired paint effects and only change the maps.

Said that I posted some tests I made back in 2020 when I tried to achieve a "matte" effect without using a material file (.mtx) that already has the /matte tag in it.

The following images may be a little confusing, but it shows the difference between messing with specular/glossiness and using a true matte effect applied directly on the material file.
    Result: The matte effect reproduced with only a specular map using the alpha channel, doesn't blur the environment reflections, it only dims it until it disappears.

FRESNEL TESTS
    fresnel_tests.jpg

SPECULAR TESTS
    specular_tests.jpg

FAKE MATTE PAINT
    fake_mattepaint.jpg

TRUE MATTE PAINT
    true_mattepaint.jpg

---

A possible solution would be using the PBR workflow as every other major game engine already uses, I don't know if they can re-write only how the car shaders work...

Here is an example of how things work nowadays on shaders, a metallic map, and a roughness map:
    PBR workflow.jpg

More info on the PBR workflow

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Cassini

Another good addition to this templates thing would be the car mesh, it doesn't need to be the whole car, only the body parts that liveries are applied so we can make nice creative things like this rusted paint that is more prominent at some surface angles.

Being able to paint directly over the mesh is very nice and I think it's not a too steep learning curve for people who are already able to make Photoshop liveries.

The livery below was made in Substance Painter using UnoClassicB mesh I got from AMS1 forum:
    * It was also rendered inside Painter, using its own renderer with no fancy stuff, only the diffuse/metallic/roughness maps.

telesp_rusted_01_compressed.png telesp_rusted_02_compressed.png

• Like Like x 2
  19. jeanvendors

jeanvendors Active Member

This is what I’ve been doing with AMS1 Meshes inside of Blender. All credit to those with the patience to map out liveries in 2D, but 3D texture painting expedites the process to an absurd degree. Super in support of having these files for the new cars in AMS2.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Cassini

Blender is another great tool to make these liveries.

• Like Like x 1