1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Numb FFB

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by EmilG, Sep 3, 2022.

1. EmilG

EmilG Member AMS2 Club Member

CSW 2.5

I've deleted the AMS2 my documents folder after updating to the lastest 1.4.3 to make sure I'm starting fresh. And the FFB feels numb.

I've tried default, plus and also the custom silver raw and played with all the sliders with all 3 (with dampening being a powersteering slider in the custom profile). I've got a CSW 2.5 with all the recommended settings in fanalab according to the official Reiza FFB post.
    (Dampening and Spring on 0% in fanalab)

Anybody else with this opinion? The ffb feels very numb, almost like you're trying to turn the wheel while submerged under water. It's not raw and direct like RF2 or ACC. It feels like there are too many artificial effects going on with it, instead of giving us the raw input feelings from the tyres, suspension and steering rack.

I mean, even a 20 year old game that I still play, Richard Burns Rally, at the moment has a more direct and precise ffb feeling.

I usually have gain set around the 65 mark in game. And then I've tried many combination of the next 3 sliders, I've had all off, all on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off, 1 on, tried playing with low numbers, medium number, high numbers, everything!

Is the FFB getting fixed, or is this the flavour that Reiza is sticking with, I wonder?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

No need to wonder … Renato et al. have been pretty clear over the course of several communications that FFB as presented in V1.4.1 is considered sufficiently developed, along with subsequent V1.4 series hotfixes, to be representative of what Reiza want to achieve in that area. That is not to say FFB will not continue to be developed—we’re talking about Reiza, after all—but that area will be much less of a priority relative to other issues that require attention. All is not lost, however: with FFB in a more settled state, Reiza and the community should finally be able to generate an informed consensus regarding FFB guidance for various controllers, for those seeking El Dorado.

3. Vitor

Vitor Member AMS2 Club Member

Take a look at the thread for the release 1.4, there is a good discussion about ffb there

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can you share screenshots of your settings?

5. EmilG

I'm not at my PC but these are my settings, I've had them for very long time:

Tuning Menu Settings:

• SEN Auto
    • FF 100
    • DRI -02
    • FOR 100
    • SPR 0
    • DPR 0
    • BLI 75
    • FEI 50
    In-Game Settings: (Default and Default+)

• Gain: 65
    • Low Force Boost: 10
    • FX: 0
    • Damper 25

6. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Also, I know that CrimsonEminence uses a CSW 2.5 as well; you might want to message him for his Fanatec settings. CrimsonEminence drove a Logitech before that, and I have been happy with the settings he shared with me regarding that wheel.

7. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I have the closest belt driven wheel to you, a TM TS-PC racer (6Nm peak torque)
    My in Game settings are
    • Gain: 80
    • Low Force Boost: 15
    • FX: 35
    • Damper 50+(depending on the car power steering type)
    FFB is good, quite active and dynamic with such settings.

• Like Like x 1
  8. EmilG

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Would you guys be able to describe how the ffb feels for you compared to other racing sims you play? Things such as directness, rawness, heavy/light feelings, being able to feel the cars momentum through turns, gyroscopic effects, etc.

I would like to compare it to mine to see if it's just the way Ams2 is now, or if I've got something wrong going on.

9. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I'd generally advise to run at least 25% FFX which brings out things like road bumps a bit more. Generally Default+ is more lively than Default because there are some more effects included in Default+.

10. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

At first i always recommend to check driver and firmware, maybe even making a separate new controls profile in doubt.

But an important info:
    Turn FEI up (best to start at 100) and DRi off. These are one of the most prominent reasons, why Fanatec users have numb FFB.

FEI means, your wheel accelerates initially a lot slower and many details can get masked. This setting by fanatec was something for the CSL Elite to be less noisy and "clacky", but the CSW 2.5 shouldn't use it lower than 90 if you want the full fidelity of your wheelbase.

11. EmilG

Thanks Crimson! I can't use 100 FEI because it makes the wheel feel extremely grindy (other users have noted the exact same thing with high FEI) in AMS2. Are you on CSW 2.5 too? I'm on the latest firmware 447 with Fanalab at 1.66.

I'll try with DRI to off, and see how that goes. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out mate. Thank you

12. EmilG

I've done further testing with FEI to 100 and drift to OFF, and it seems that both Default and Default+ have an in built script that causes a grinding through the wheel while under load through a corner. The Silver Raw custom file does not have this vibrating/grinding issue at all. Weird

13. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

th3 f3 car feels weird and numb, it's the only one i have come across though

14. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Don't know if I have asked you before or not, is your username here dog related?

15. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Do you use Fanalabs and newer drivers? Is DPR setting to 0 changing anything for numbness?

The "grinding" is nothing else than road detail, which is very detailed and picked up by the tires, suspension and FFB.

16. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Where is default+ ??
    I don’t have that

just default & custom

EDIT : found it , one click to left doh !

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  17. Gary_S

Gary_S Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I done a vid on ffb a while ago.
    Run FEI between 80-100. Running it lower will add latency into the signal.
    I also recommend the default profile

18. Gary_S

Gary_S Active Member AMS2 Club Member

19. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

i actually prefer the unedited custom default file over the 2 default files, default+ adds longitudinal weight transfer i think which just make the ffb feel messy with light then heavy etc etc throughout a corner, which is not what a modern car feels like at all when driving irl

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022