Guys i need help please. (t3oo issue)

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Msportdan, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

not sure if any of you noted, but a few months ago,

Thrustmaster Products clamp issue?!

I had issues with the clamps on my t300 gte and th8a shifter. Basically the thread (clamp screw) had worn on them both. A years use on the shifter and 2-3 years worth of the t300. Basically I contacted thrustmaster and after a few emails they sent me new clamps.

This has been fine for the shifter, but my wheel has started to lose it thread again - or worse the thread inside the wheel has gone!! To be fair TM did say, keep it fastened to the desk, but for me its impossible - and me going back to them would probably end up in refusal this time.

So now I'm looking for help to get around this and still have the wheel removeable? I'm looking at

- a custom clamp system to replace stock one (highly unlikely this will work)

- Drilling wheel to a removeable mount, which can work with my desk. (my preferred option tbh)

- Complete setup that could include pedals as well. (not sure about this as I haven't the storage for such bulk) example:Wheel Stand Pro for Thrustmaster T300RS and TX Racing Wheel - DELUXE V2 - Product - Wheelstandpro

please guys ive not custom fixed my PC gear yet so any help would be grateful..

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Do as they said and fix it to the desk!! As Clarkson said...'how hard can it be'.!!!!!!

3. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

The wheelstand folds together rather well and comoact and should fit somehere (if you dismount the wheel it has to go somewhere else too, no?)
    But if the threads are gone, how would you fasten the base ? Make new (a little bigger) thread maybe ?
    On the other hand: if you manage to wreck the threads, you probably did not fasten the clamps right. About 20 years ago I had the TM formula wheel clamped to my desk and removed more than a 1000 times without issues...
    That said, a friend of mine has his T500 bolted to the desk: two holes in the desk and long allen bolts (+ washers). He also removes the base when not in use. He has not had any issues yet...

4. Msportdan

how would i play total war warhammer with a bloody wheel in the way.. Nah i need it removable mate.

@Fanapryde it may of been me, but to be honest the dfgt plastic clamps was better and more rigid. Ive only messed up the clamp main screw (I also put thick grease on them too when i got them to preserve them..) - i think...... or maybe its the internal thread thats gone now, as the original clamps lasted a while. (surely they could last a few months.. I've not summed heavily either this last qtr.!)

I still have the screw mounts (unused) which are the two holes. Which screw size would the base holes take?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  5. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

Ah yes, forgot it was a single clamp system. My old Formula had two clamps (plastic ones too).
    I can't check since I am on Fanatec V2, but I am pretty sure you need M6 bolts.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Msportdan

Thanks, think gonna go for two drill holes in desk, as that won't best intrusive. If i get some clamp style bolts i could use that.. Hoping two bolts would be more sturdy and lest eroding that one like the stock clamp. Im still bewildered why this clamp has lasts months, i mean i dont do it too tight but

7. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

I guess that would be the cheapest and most stable solution (if you don't mind two holes in your desk) ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Msportdan

suppose something like this could work?

Attached Files:

9. TaT

TaT Member AMS2 Club Member

Could you not mount the wheel to a board with the bolts and then clamp the board to the desk with normal g-clamps?

Same idea as what I use :

simrig.jpg

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. Msportdan

yeah i suppose that could work.. I was trying to use less components and bits etc.. Im interested to hear if any other t300 owners have had issues with the thread on the clamp? Well i suppose most simracers hard mount their wheels now.. Im still the traditional wheel to the desk lol..
    trust me i would love a rig.. but for me its an easy life with the missus hehe

11. Msportdan

ah this helps..

and need this

Attached Files:

12. TaT

TaT Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I'd love to have the room for a rig as well.
    The one thing I'd say about using G-clamps is that they can be tightened up in 1/2 turn once adjusted for fit.
    Less time fiddling about with bolts and they wont get lost.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Rodders

Rodders Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey Dan - I just done away with my clamp and bolted my TS-PC Racer to the desk using these which are both discrete and pretty much perfect for the job:
    2 x M6 X 50mm 6x50 GERMAN MADE DIN316 WING BOLT WINGBOLT NUT BUTTERFLY SCREW | eBay

You want to get just the right length for the thickness of your desk so they don't go into your wheel more than 12mm but they come in different lengths. It's literally just a case of drilling accurate holes then screwing them in with your hand - simples :)

So much more secure than the old clamp was with the added bonus of more space under your desk.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Msportdan

thanks rodders that's my plan. My desk is just over 3cm thick.. So 50 would be about right yeah?

15. Rodders

Rodders Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sounds about the same as mine - I put 2 washers in line so have a few handy to make sure the bolts don't go into your wheel more than 12mm and you're sorted.

The hardest part is drilling the holes. They need to be very precise. I got one perfect and the other was only a fraction of a mm out but it was enough to have to carefully stretch the incorrectly drilled hole for it to fit without straining the thread on the wheel base.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Msportdan

oh yeah of course.. I think I have a tiny bit more use out of my clamp atm - ny pushing the clamp fwd it somehow finds the thread, but that wont last.

bit pissed off with these TM clamps theyre a bit **** aren't they!

17. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah Rodders and I have both gone to the dual 6mm bolt option, a lot sturdier, my clamp on my T500 threaded inside the wheel the clamp thread is fine and it wouldn't hold at all so had no choice.

Should of done it from the off, I used 2 coach bolts and butterfly nuts but anything 6mm will work, as Rodders said make sure it doesn't go in more than 12mm into the wheel, one of my holes would only allow the bolt so far but the other would keep going so I screwed one to the stop and set the other the same length.

Still failrly quickly removable and the original clamp is useless, never could get it tight enough, I actually bent the rod tightening it up.

Little tip when drilling the desk, make a paper template and use a 5.5mm drill bit, it means the bolts don't fall out and can be left in place.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Msportdan

wicked guys , been a massive help.. Now I know how to do it. This community is a great one !!!

19. Msportdan

yep update to this thread, The second clamp finally went again PoS!! So drilled two holes in desk.. Yep I messed up had to make the holes a little bigger got two m6 butterflynuts.. 50 or 45mm cant remember.. But perfect, don't even have to madly do the nuts tightly..!

Cheers

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1